Royals And Their Careers

Started by TLLK, October 28, 2014, 03:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

* I did look back a few pages and could not see a thread on this topic. However if one  does exist please let me know.

A thread to discuss the careers of those who held a career outside the royal world.

A is for architect-Prince Richard of Gloucester was an architect who had to end his career upon the death of his older brother Prince William of Gloucester. He was one of the first male members of the BRF to not pursue a career in the military.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 03:15:36 AM

B is for banking-Queen Maxima of the Netherlands had a career in the banking industry prior to her engagement to then Prince of Orange William Alexander of the Netherlands.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 03:18:17 AM

D is for diplomatic circle-Prince Henrik of Denmark, the late Prince Claus of the Netherlands and Crown Princess Masako of Japan all served in the diplomatic service for the following nations: Henrik-France, Claus-West Germany, Masako-Japan.

cate1949

nd didn't he pursue an advanced degree in architectural history?

TLLK

Just thought of C!!!!!

C is for circus-Princess Stephanie of Monaco was a circus performer for a short time during her marriage to Adans Lopes Peres who was an acrobat.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 03:22:17 AM

Quote from: cate1949 on October 28, 2014, 03:18:57 AM
nd didn't he pursue an advanced degree in architectural history?
Yes he has a MA in the subject.

Curryong

It isn't a former career, but could you say equestrian for Zara?

Limabeany

:thanks: @TLLK  :vday4: Love this! What a great idea for a thread!  :happy20:  :clap:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

E is for equestrian-Princess Royal, her former husband Capt. Mark Phillips (technically not a royal but was married to one,) Still competing might be: Princess Natalie of Sayn-Wittensburg-Berleburg,  Princess Haya of Jordan, Infanta Elena of Spain, Charlotte Casaraghi, Zara Tindall

Curryong

F could be farmer. Prince Joachim of Denmark farmed the Schackenborg Palace estate until this year. There was even a Christmas tree farm!

TLLK

^^^Love it and let's keep it going!!!

Macrobug

G for Galley curator.  Kate put together that photography exhibit.  (It is late, I am on election overdose and I can't recall details  :teehee:  so if someone else wants to fill in the info my thanks)
GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

OMG how could I forget???

A is for ACTRESS-The late Princess Grace of Monaco, Rita Hayworth-Wife of the Aga Khan.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 05:43:07 AM

B-is for buyer-Kate Middleton worked as an accessory buyer for Jigsaw.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 05:46:10 AM

I is for - Information services engineer which was the career for Lalla Salma of Morocco prior to marrying Mohammed VI.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 05:49:19 AM

H is for handball. The sport played as a professional by Inaki Urdangarian husband of Infanta Cristina.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 02:43:18 PM

J is for jewelry design-Princess Margarita of Bourbon Parma has launched her own jewelry design in the Netherlands.

HereditaryPrincess

A could also be for author - Princess Michael of Kent is the author of the book The Queen of The Four Kingdoms, and Princess Esmeralda of Belgium (daughter of Leopold III and the Princess of Réthy) has just written and published a book entitled Albert and Elisabeth.

F could also be for Fabergé - even though he isn't part of a reigning royal family, Archduke Géza of Austria (a great-great-great grandson of Holy Roman Emperor Franz Joseph I) is a Fabergé expert and has published many books and articles on Peter Carl Farbergé and Victor Meyer. He is also the curator of several major Fabergé exhibitions.

TLLK

Glad you are here contributing to the thread. You have  a wealth of knowledge about so many royals especially those who are not always in the spotlight.

Double post auto-merged: October 28, 2014, 10:53:57 PM

Jumping ahead a few letters:
M is for military- (This will be a long list and I'm not including those who did service but actually had this as a career. I'll do a separate list for the Navy.)  King Abdullah of Jordan, Princess Ayisha of Jordan, Princess Iman of Jordan,  Duke of Kent, Prince Michael of Kent, Capt. Mark Phillips, Prince Pieter-Christian of Orange Nassau, Prince Hashem of Jordan,...
Please add to this list if you know of any others.

HereditaryPrincess

Aw, thanks for the compliment @TLLK. I will try and add more royal careers to the thread, but some letters are rather obscure so it might be a little difficult. :hug:

M could also be for marketing - as when she first permanently moved to Denmark, CP Mary began work at Microsoft Business Solutions as a marketing manager. She also qualified with certificates from the Australian Direct Marketing Association.

As you are working on N with royals who worked in the Navy, I will leave that out and as I can't think of any royal careers beginning with O, will jump straight to P, which will be PR - I do believe the Countess of Wessex worked in PR before marrying Edward.

And I thought of a new one for J, too - that could be journalism, as IIRC, Queen Letizia was a journalist as well as a news reporter before she married King Felipe.

TLLK

LOL Can't wait until we get to W,X,Y,Z. Thank you for the contributions Hereditary Princess!

Limabeany

I am loving this thread! It's fun!  :happy20:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

Princess Tessy of Luxembourg was a corporal in the Luxembourg army.

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece is an investment consultant.

Archduchess Marie Astrid of Austria, sister to Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, was a nurse.

Prince Fumihito of Japan, second son of the Emperor, is an ornithologist. (He wrote a dissertion for his doctorate on jungle fowls.)

Princess Martha Louise of Norway is a qualified physiotherapist.

TLLK

I is for interpreter-Silvia Sommerlath was a trained interpreter and speaks six languages:German, Portuguese,English, Spanish, French and Swedish.  She  worked as an educational hostess during the Munich Olympics. It was there that she met her future husband Carl Gustav. She also worked as a flight attendant and at the Argentine consulate in Germany.

In All I Do

A is also for auctions manager, which Eugenie is doing in NYC.

P is for playgroup assistant (Diana), photographer (A A-J)

C for cleaner (Diana)

How would one classify Peter Phillips' career?

Curryong

Quote from: Adrienne on October 30, 2014, 11:42:16 AM

C for cleaner (Diana)

Peter's had various corporate roles, hasn't he? Sports management?

HereditaryPrincess

C for cleaner (Diana)

That's interesting, I didn't realise Diana used to be a cleaner. Do you know when she became a cleaner? Was it to do with when she was a playgroup assistant or separate from that?

C could also be for clothing line - Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece owns a line of children's clothes called Marie Chantal. Fortnum and Mason in London have a section dedicated to her clothes in the children's apartment, and I do believe she also has separate shops elsewhere as well as an online shop.

S could also be for shop owner - Viscountess Linley owns a shop called "Serena Linley Provence" which I do believe is located in Pimlico. It sells things such as soap and perfumes from the family's Chateau in France.

In All I Do

Quote from: Curryong on October 30, 2014, 01:29:46 PM

C for cleaner (Diana)

Peter's had various corporate roles, hasn't he? Sports management?

Yes, he's moved sectors a few times. However, his LinkedIn profile says Sports & Entertainment Management

So under the S he goes.

@HereditaryPrincess, as I understand it, Diana did some casual cleaning that was set up by one of her sisters, after she moved to London and before the engagement, around the time of the preschool. details on Wikipedia are somewhat vague.

TLLK

E is for educator-Infanta Elena-English teacher. (Diana was a kindergarten assistant, but assignment would not require higher education.) Mary Donaldson taught English in Paris. Maxima Zorrigueta taught math in Argentina.

HereditaryPrincess

Many thanks for answering my question, @Adrienne. That was very informative. :hug:

In All I Do

Curryong

Sarah Chatto Princess Margaret's daughter.  Artist.

I don't know whether you could say it's a career, but Princess Masako of Mikasa (Japan) is Grand Master of the Urasenke Japanese Tea Ceremony School.

Prince Jean of Luxembourg.  Financial analyst. Executive water and energy solutions.

The late Prince Friso of the Netherlands was a Financial executive in the banking sector.

Princess Takamado of Japan.  Interpreter.

Prince Sigvard of Sweden was an Industrial designer.

Prince Daniel of Sweden. Personal life coach.

Queen Maxima of the Netherlands was also in Marketing before she went into banking.