Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall Attend 133rd Sandringham Flower Show

Started by cinrit, July 31, 2014, 10:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Duchess of Cornwall picked up a present for Prince George as she toured the Sandringham flower show with The Prince of Wales today.

Stopping at the Women's Institute stand at the event on the Queen's Norfolk estate, The Duchess opened her purse to buy a chimney sweep knitted doll for her grandson.

Inspecting her purchase, she commented: "Isn't he sweet?"

The couple, who arrived in a horse and cart, were joined by their friends Dame Judi Dench and Dame Maggie Smith, who are staying with them at Sandringham estate.

Last night the group attended a Music in Country Churches concert at the the Church of St Mary in Old Hunstanton.

More: The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall attend the 133rd Sandringham Flower Show

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

Which of her grandsons? She has three. I wonder how Tom and Laura feel about her not mentioning their children.

Curryong

Canuck

I think the big news here is that Charles and Camilla are friends with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.  So jealous!  :vday4:

cinrit

She wouldn't mention her biological grandchildren to anyone in the general public, because she realizes the general public isn't very interested in them.  They are, however, interested in Prince George.

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: July 31, 2014, 12:10:09 PM

VIDEO: The Duchess of Cornwall Greets a Little Loyal Subject
The Duchess of Cornwall greets a loyal subject at Sandringham | Mail Online

Search - Getty Images : GBR: The Prince Of Wales And The Duchess of Cornwall visit Sandringham Flower Show

Cindy

sandy

I think it tactless for her to be called George's grandmother. Why would not her own grandchildren be of interest? One of them was in William and Kate's wedding party.  Her little granddaughter was prominent at the wedding. Tom certainly is no shrinking violet. It is causing unfavorable comments for IMO understandable reasons.

Canuck

George is of interest because he is the future King; Camilla's other grandchildren are private citizens who only become of public interest when they in some way participate in BRF events (as with the little flower girl).  I don't think it would be odd if Camilla mentioned one of her other grandchildren when out at an official engagement, but I also don't doubt it would receive far less media attention than when she talks about George.

As for the use of grandmother/grandchild -- as I said on another thread, I think it's up to individual families to determine what titles they want to use when someone marries into the family.  Since this article was posted on the PoW's official site, I'm guessing the family uses grandmother/grandchild when discussing Camilla and George. 

Sheridan

Where did she open her mouth and say its for George her grandson, its obvious the media need something negative to write about her (since it's been a while) and of course this story is it

I believe she bought for her grandsons, the twins or freddy...i don't think she thinks about George like that, i wouldn't too since i have my own

Shame on the media for making this up, and sadly people believe it.

Trudie

Quote from: Canuck on July 31, 2014, 08:10:27 PM
George is of interest because he is the future King; Camilla's other grandchildren are private citizens who only become of public interest when they in some way participate in BRF events (as with the little flower girl).  I don't think it would be odd if Camilla mentioned one of her other grandchildren when out at an official engagement, but I also don't doubt it would receive far less media attention than when she talks about George.

As for the use of grandmother/grandchild -- as I said on another thread, I think it's up to individual families to determine what titles they want to use when someone marries into the family.  Since this article was posted on the PoW's official site, I'm guessing the family uses grandmother/grandchild when discussing Camilla and George. 

I don't buy that story for one minute since anyone associated with the royals are public interest. When Diana married Charles her family was of interest and so was Sarah's remember how he was followed to his massage parlor. That said I don't believe you read my comment in the other thread. This really has Charles fingerprints all over it as it appeared on his site and while on the subject isn't he then the grandfather of Tom and Laura's children so even if they are not in line for the throne they would also be of public interest IMO interesting how the spin turns.

P.S. Why couldn't she buy three if she thought the toy so sweet for her other grandsons as well she can well afford it.

Canuck

I just think there's a whole lot being read into a single nice little gesture.  I'm sure Camilla buys presents for her kids' children as well, but they're all older than George by at least a few years and she's not required to buy identical gifts for each of them. 

Charles may well be considered a grandparent to Camilla's grandchildren, but again, I think this depends on the individual family.  Charles spends less time with Camilla's children and grandchildren than vice versa, just by virtue of the fact that he is PoW and the two of them therefore live with Charles' family and do a lot of BRF events as a group.  Additionally, since Camilla's ex-husband is still alive, Charles might not be called "grandfather" because that's what they call Andrew and it would be confusing.  Either way, I'm sure they're both fond of all the little ones, both George and Camilla's kids' children.  I don't see what harm there could be in having more love to go around.   :vday4:

Limabeany

Camilla never mentions her other grandchildren, only George. Regardless of who people know, she should acknowledge her own grandchildren with these gestures and not only headline-guaranteeing George, buying one of something guarantees people will only think of George...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Trudie

Well  Canuck IMO so what if Andrew Parker Bowles is still alive it certainly has not been an issue with his son who on his book jacket bios is the Son of the Duchess of Cornwall and no mention of his father. However are you done making excuses for Camilla and Charles basically airbrushing Georges real grandmother Diana. As I have said it must be hurtful to William and the Spencer's. But lets think about it in it's true context with the BRF Bloodlines are what is important and Camilla certainly has no blood tie to Charles heirs Diana was champion chosen for that task not Camilla when she was young apparently her bloodline was not up to snuff.

Sheridan

She didn't buy this for George...Plain and simple. i believe she bought this for one of her grandsons..people do this all the time, maybe she bought something else for the other two or chose not to, nothing wrong with that.

The media is making this up....only to bring out the haters

Again, where is the reliable quote that she said its for george? she said it's for her grandson (which clearly means Freddy, Guis or Louis)

Also Trudie...i don't think she's crying about any bloodline, it's nothing to be proud of you know, William and Harry...especially William and the unsuitable wife he married.

cinrit

Unless there's an article that I haven't seen, or something that I'm missing, nowhere does it say that Camilla said anything one way or the other.  The article that I initially posted says:

"The Duchess of Cornwall picked up a present for Prince George as she toured the Sandringham flower show with The Prince of Wales today."

The article is from the Prince of Wales' website.

Cindy

Canuck

Quote from: Limabeany on July 31, 2014, 10:53:24 PM
Camilla never mentions her other grandchildren, only George.

Actually, she talks about her other grandchildren fairly frequently:
Duchess of Cornwall expecting twin grandchildren - Telegraph
Kate Middleton baby: Camilla reveals she takes her grandchildren to her vegetable garden patch to eat peas - Mirror Online
Duchess of Cornwall reveals grandchildren call her Gaga - hellomagazine.com
Camilla Duchess of Cornwall buys Beatles t-shirts for grandchildren on visit to Liverpool (GALLERY) - Liverpool Echo

Of course the media and the public are much more interested in George, but it's not like Camilla just ignores her other grandchildren in favor of him.

Quote from: Trudie on July 31, 2014, 10:56:31 PM
However are you done making excuses for Camilla and Charles basically airbrushing Georges real grandmother Diana. As I have said it must be hurtful to William and the Spencer's.

I am not "making excuses", I just disagree that anyone is trying to airbrush Diana out of the picture.  If Camilla never mentioned George, people would accuse her of hating him for having Diana's blood.  If she occasionally mentions him or buys him a toy, people accuse her of trying to shove Diana's memory aside.  I think she's just buying a nice toy for a baby.   :shrug:

Limabeany

:thanks: Interesting, it seemed as if she does, I think the Palace is overdoing the Camilla goodwill through George bit...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

Quote from: Canuck on July 31, 2014, 10:44:03 PM
I just think there's a whole lot being read into a single nice little gesture.  I'm sure Camilla buys presents for her kids' children as well, but they're all older than George by at least a few years and she's not required to buy identical gifts for each of them. 

Charles may well be considered a grandparent to Camilla's grandchildren, but again, I think this depends on the individual family.  Charles spends less time with Camilla's children and grandchildren than vice versa, just by virtue of the fact that he is PoW and the two of them therefore live with Charles' family and do a lot of BRF events as a group.  Additionally, since Camilla's ex-husband is still alive, Charles might not be called "grandfather" because that's what they call Andrew and it would be confusing.  Either way, I'm sure they're both fond of all the little ones, both George and Camilla's kids' children.  I don't see what harm there could be in having more love to go around.   :vday4:

I don't see anything confusing. George will know who his biological parents are. I don't see what difference it makes if a grandparent is dead, the child will grow up knowing about the dead grandparent. What would happen if APB passed on and Laura had another child would that mean that child could call Charles Grandpa because APB passed on? And the other children can't because they were around when APB was alive?

WIlliam and Kate live separately from C and C and mostly spend time with her parents. Harry is on his own now too.

Double post auto-merged: July 31, 2014, 11:43:43 PM

Quote from: Canuck on July 31, 2014, 11:04:47 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on July 31, 2014, 10:53:24 PM
Camilla never mentions her other grandchildren, only George.

Actually, she talks about her other grandchildren fairly frequently:
Duchess of Cornwall expecting twin grandchildren - Telegraph
Kate Middleton baby: Camilla reveals she takes her grandchildren to her vegetable garden patch to eat peas - Mirror Online
Duchess of Cornwall reveals grandchildren call her Gaga - hellomagazine.com
Camilla Duchess of Cornwall buys Beatles t-shirts for grandchildren on visit to Liverpool (GALLERY) - Liverpool Echo

Of course the media and the public are much more interested in George, but it's not like Camilla just ignores her other grandchildren in favor of him.

Quote from: Trudie on July 31, 2014, 10:56:31 PM
However are you done making excuses for Camilla and Charles basically airbrushing Georges real grandmother Diana. As I have said it must be hurtful to William and the Spencer's.

I am not "making excuses", I just disagree that anyone is trying to airbrush Diana out of the picture.  If Camilla never mentioned George, people would accuse her of hating him for having Diana's blood.  If she occasionally mentions him or buys him a toy, people accuse her of trying to shove Diana's memory aside.  I think she's just buying a nice toy for a baby.   :shrug:

Camilla and the media overdo it. I think Camilla would show tact if she does not do this PR. I think this is intentional and PR by Charles and Camilla. Charles never talked about his and Diana's grandson. Ever. Without Diana, George would not be here. There is airbrushing going on. IMO. Big time.

Double post auto-merged: July 31, 2014, 11:46:03 PM

Quote from: Sheridan on July 31, 2014, 10:57:52 PM
She didn't buy this for George...Plain and simple. i believe she bought this for one of her grandsons..people do this all the time, maybe she bought something else for the other two or chose not to, nothing wrong with that.

Again, where is the reliable quote that she said its for george? she said it's for her grandson (which clearly means Freddy, Guis or Louis)

Also Trudie...i don't think she's crying about any bloodline, it's nothing to be proud of you know, William and Harry...especially William and the unsuitable wife he married.

Where there's smoke there's fire. I notice Camilla has been aggressively promoted by the DM and I see Charles PR finger prints all over it.

I think this is intentional. Camilla could easily have picked up several toys and said she was giving them to her grandchildren. One would think by the article she only has one grandchild.

cinrit

Sandy, I'm sure you've seen that the "article" is from the Prince of Wales' website.  If they say she bought the toy for George, then she probably did.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

And yes, of course Charles has talked about George.  I don't have time to look up specifics right now, but if you remind me, I'll be glad to do so in the morning.

Cindy

Trudie

Quote from: Sheridan on July 31, 2014, 10:57:52 PM

Actually I disagree with you when Charles was looking for a wife Bloodlines and breeding were what really mattered not to mention she had to be a virgin. While Kate may be unsuitable to you she also came from a rich family I am waiting for a royal heir to bring home a young woman from a council flat that has been on benefits. Now that is what I call unsuitable. Back to Camilla however when Diana married Charles and was alive Camilla coveted everything Diana had and undermined her and her marriage Well Diana divorced and died within a year and Camilla moved in with Charles Sorry but promoting Camilla as grandmother and not by her rightful role as stepgrandmother is airbrushing Diana. This was not done to Barbara Cartland who was the step grandmother of Diana she was rightly called Diana's stepgrandmother and Lady Cynthia Spencer was always written about as Diana's grandmother even though she died a good ten or more years before Diana married Charles.

sandy

Quote from: cinrit on August 01, 2014, 12:35:28 AM
Sandy, I'm sure you've seen that the "article" is from the Prince of Wales' website.  If they say she bought the toy for George, then she probably did.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

And yes, of course Charles has talked about George.  I don't have time to look up specifics right now, but if you remind me, I'll be glad to do so in the morning.

Cindy

Charles never mentioned Diana as the grandmother of George or refers to her. Ever. I believe he and Camilla want her airbrushed.

There is something wrong when her buying a gift for George is used as a PR exercise for her. It's as if she's glorying in taking over George from his dead grandmother. I don't see her as a particularly nice person considering how she got where she is today.

And Raine Spencer was never seen as a replacement for the Spencer grandchildren when Frances Spencer died. So how come it's OK for Camilla to take over from Diana. It is tasteless because Camilla had loathing for Diana and made her life miserable.

By the logic that when somebody dies the grandparent hood is taken over by somebody else then Raine Spencer should be called the great grandmother because she's alive and Frances Shand Kydd is dead.

Trudie

:goodpost: Excellent Post Sandy

Double post auto-merged: August 01, 2014, 01:22:50 AM

Quote from: sandy on August 01, 2014, 12:54:00 AM
Quote from: cinrit on August 01, 2014, 12:35:28 AM

Cindy

Charles never mentioned Diana as the grandmother of George or refers to her. Ever. I believe he and Camilla want her airbrushed.

There is something wrong when her buying a gift for George is used as a PR exercise for her. It's as if she's glorying in taking over George from his dead grandmother. I don't see her as a particularly nice person considering how she got where she is today.

And Raine Spencer was never seen as a replacement for the Spencer grandchildren when Frances Spencer died. So how come it's OK for Camilla to take over from Diana. It is tasteless because Camilla had loathing for Diana and made her life miserable.

By the logic that when somebody dies the grandparent hood is taken over by somebody else then Raine Spencer should be called the great grandmother because she's alive and Frances Shand Kydd is dead.

Sandy is totally right. Cindy have you really looked at the website. Look at Williams biography which most will read as he is first in line after his father and Prince George's is attached the only mention of Diana is a small paragraph mentioning that at 15 William lost his mother and walked behind her coffin really small detail. Look at Harry's biography and the first thing mentioned is Harry is the younger son of The Prince of Wales and Diana Princess of Wales. Apparently Diana is not as important as the mother and grandmother of William and George as he is in Harry's or does Charles count on my people being interested in William and airbrushing Diana from his and Georges bio's.

Canuck

Personally, I think it would be bizarre, awkward, and in bad taste for Charles to be bringing up Diana, who he had an acrimonious marriage to and was divorced from before her death.  That doesn't mean she's being erased, it just means that it's (appropriately, IMO) being left to Will and Harry, Diana's children, to discuss her and honour her memory, which they do. 

As for the rest of it:  it's clear that some people do and always will hate Camilla.  That's of course you're/they're right.  But that doesn't mean everything she does is bad or has ulterior motives or is intended to undermine Diana's memory.  As Charles' wife, Camilla is a part of the family now, and will be interacting with Will and Harry and their children.  I realize that for some people that fact alone is enough to raise hackles, but it's true all the same. 

Trudie

Personally there is nothing bizarre,awkward or in bad taste for Charles to mention Diana who was the mother of his sons and the baby Princes grandmother. Charles marriage to Diana was acrimonious and people do remember why and Camilla role in the marriage. Charles and Camilla are all about Charles and Camilla and the positive PR they want. If they have not intended to undermine Diana's memory then why would they have thought of walking into Diana's memorial service together as man and wife and why is Camilla being promoted as Georges grandmother when Raine Spencer and Barbara Cartland were only the step grandmothers of William and Harry and Diana?. Personally I don't Hate Camilla I just Hate what she did to destroy an innocent woman because she coveted all she had and in the wake of her death is trying to claim it all.

sandy

Quote from: Canuck on August 01, 2014, 01:24:28 AM
Personally, I think it would be bizarre, awkward, and in bad taste for Charles to be bringing up Diana, who he had an acrimonious marriage to and was divorced from before her death.  That doesn't mean she's being erased, it just means that it's (appropriately, IMO) being left to Will and Harry, Diana's children, to discuss her and honour her memory, which they do. 

As for the rest of it:  it's clear that some people do and always will hate Camilla.  That's of course you're/they're right.  But that doesn't mean everything she does is bad or has ulterior motives or is intended to undermine Diana's memory.  As Charles' wife, Camilla is a part of the family now, and will be interacting with Will and Harry and their children.  I realize that for some people that fact alone is enough to raise hackles, but it's true all the same. 

Why must "hate" be brought into these threads. Nobody hates Camilla. I don't like how she treated  Diana, undermining her every step of the way. As Trudie mentioned, Camilla apparently had no shame and was ready to walk into Diana's Memorial Service until public opinion stopped her.

I think it bizarre, awkward and in bad taste for Camilla to be pushed as grandmother and Diana airbrushed out totally. Charles and Diana bought two children into the world and Diana however much Charles may want to airbrush her, is still George's grandmother. I think the acrimony was in essence from 1) Charles refusing to totally give up Camilla and 2) Camilla wanting Charles in her life no matter what and even undermining the first wife.

I think ulterior motives and scheming on her part had a lot to do with how Camilla got where she is today. A nice person would have sent the husband back to his wife and refused to see him or have anything more to do with him and let him work on his marriage. Her greed and self interest made it impossible for the marriage to work and much of the acrimony was stirred up by Camilla.

cinrit

Quote from: Trudie on August 01, 2014, 01:10:16 AM
Sandy is totally right. Cindy have you really looked at the website. Look at Williams biography which most will read as he is first in line after his father and Prince George's is attached the only mention of Diana is a small paragraph mentioning that at 15 William lost his mother and walked behind her coffin really small detail. Look at Harry's biography and the first thing mentioned is Harry is the younger son of The Prince of Wales and Diana Princess of Wales. Apparently Diana is not as important as the mother and grandmother of William and George as he is in Harry's or does Charles count on my people being interested in William and airbrushing Diana from his and Georges bio's. 

Yes, of course I've looked at the website.  I'm not sure what you want me to see that's scandalous.  I don't to turn into another Diana thread, but what more would you like there to be said about her? 

Cindy