Prince Harry's African tour

Started by wannable, November 19, 2015, 10:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

Quote.Programme details for Prince Harry's tour of Lesotho and South Africa
Published on 19th November 2015

Prince Harry will visit Lesotho and South Africa from Thursday 26th November to Thursday 3rd December.

The Prince will first visit Lesotho on behalf of Sentebale, the charity he founded with Prince Seeiso in memory of their mothers. The Prince will pay calls on The Prime Minster, Dr Pakalitha Bethuel Mosili and King Letsie III before attending the official opening of the new Mamohato Children's Centre at Thaba Bosiu on 26th November. The new centre will provide a facility which underpins all of Sentebale's work supporting vulnerable children in the country and allows them to significantly increase the number of children it can reach.

Prince Harry will also play in the Sentebale Royal Salute Polo Cup, at Val de Vie in Cape Town on 28th November. This is the charity's annual flagship event, which helps fund their very important work.

Prince Harry will then begin his visit to South Africa to carry out a programme of engagements on behalf of Her Majesty's Government. The tour will focus on a number of key themes including understanding South Africa's recent history, the issues and opportunities for young people in South Africa today, and the importance of wildlife conservation.

On Monday 30th December in Cape Town, The Prince will call on Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu before carrying out engagements to learn more about a range of social issues facing young people in South Africa today, and the work being done to address them. This will include a visit to a youth centre to meet young people linked to gang-related crime and a visit to a project which uses sport to engage with young people on a range of social issues, including life skills, gender equality and HIV awareness.

The following day in Durban, Prince Harry will visit two programmes using sport for social development. There he will visit The Sharks to learn about a range of programmes proactively identifying and nurturing rugby talent, and Surfers Not Street Children an organisation providing psychosocial support to street children. This engagement will conclude on the beach in Durban, where Prince Harry will have the opportunity to meet people from the area.

The Prince will then travel to Kruger National Park, where he will draw attention to the anti-poaching efforts being used to protect South Africa's most endangered animals. Prince Harry chose to spend time this summer working with rangers on the front line of conservation in Africa and is keen to highlight their skills and professional training. The Prince will see the operational and intelligence gathering response coordinated at the Mission Joint Operations Centre in Kruger National Park, and visit the Southern African Wildlife College to see rangers in training at all levels of professional development.

The Prince will complete the tour in Johannesburg where he hopes to learn more about South Africa's recent history. The Prince has long admired President Nelson Mandela and his family has had the honour of meeting and hosting Mr. Mandela on a number of occasions. In the week which sees the anniversary of the former President's passing, Prince Harry is keen to learn how South Africa is using Mr. Mandela's legacy to inspire and empower the next generation of South Africans. The day will start with a visit to The Nelson Mandela Foundation where Prince Harry will meet Mrs Graca Machel and tour the private archives of the Centre for Memory. He will then visit with students participating in Nelson Mandela – The Champion Within, a youth development programme operated by LifeCo UnLtd SA and the Nelson Mandela Foundation. He will then conclude the visit to South Africa at a Youth Empowerment Exposition, focusing on youth entrepreneurship.

NOTES TO EDITORS:

During the tour, Prince Harry will visit:

26th November  Maseru, Lesotho

28th November  Sentebale Polo Cup, Cape Town, South Africa

30th November  Cape Town, South Africa

1st December Durban, South Africa

2nd December Kruger National Park

3rd December Johannesburg, South Africa

There will be no public engagements on 27th and 29th November.

Sentebale's Mamohato Children's Centre in Lesotho

Sentebale's Network Clubs and Camps programme has been developed over the last seven years in response to a serious gap in HIV/AIDS education provision for young people in Lesotho. A study by Sentebale showed that children living with HIV felt isolated and received little support in their homes or communities in relation to the social and psychological challenges they faced. The Mamohato Children's Centre will train practitioners from Lesotho and across Southern Africa, who will run residential camps to empower children living with HIV to address the associated stigma and health issues and enable them to live healthy and fulfilled lives.  Prince Harry has closely followed the development of the Mamohato Centre throughout all stages of its development. In early 2013 he visited the land upon which the centre has been built and in late 2014 he returned to Lesotho to view the building progress.

South Africa

Prince Harry has undertaken three official and charitable visits to South Africa to date: in 1997 accompanying his father The Prince of Wales, in 2010 with his brother The Duke of Cambridge and in 2013 on behalf of his charity Sentebale.   

Programme details for Prince Harry's tour of Lesotho and South Africa

Trudie

Anyone care to comment about Harry's unemployment? Harry regularly visits his charity and now is set to represent The Queens Government I would say he is now a full time Royal

wannable

I just hope his two free days in SA doesn't overshadow the work trip, paparazzi following him to see what he did.

On a side note, when in Durban Harry will personally meet my friend Jordan Smith, cofounder of Surfer Not Street.

Limabeany

He will be in Lesotho those days so I hardly think they will be a vacation like William and Kate's days off.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Curryong

^ I'm happy to see Harry go and see what his beloved Sentable are doing in Lesotho, followed by some engagements in South Africa before Christmas.

I'd rather wait for the New Year to see whether any decisions have been made by Harry on his future direction. As you all know, my view is that there will have to be changes in the BRF next few years, come what may, and that will probably involve both of Charles's sons. I don't want to repeat myself.

wannable

Quote from: TLLK on November 19, 2015, 08:48:20 PM
Quote from: wannable on November 19, 2015, 10:55:44 AM
I just hope his two free days in SA doesn't overshadow the work trip, paparazzi following him to see what he did.

On a side note, when in Durban Harry will personally meet my friend Jordan Smith, cofounder of Surfer Not Street.
That's great news and could you please share some information about Surfer Not Street @wannable?

I believe this 4 minute video sums it up nicely. Jordan, aka Jordy is a legend in SA and surfing community worldwide.

Today Is Perfect - Jordy Smith on Vimeo

TLLK

cate1949

Wannabe - thanks for the link - that is a great program - but what a terrible problem!!!

I do not have a problem with Harry and this trip - but I do want to point out that if this was a W and K trip - the two days off would be creating a howl - the whole trip would create howls of skepticism and cries of tax payer funded vacation

SA is a country on the verge of exploding - after apartheid whites got richer and the African population got poorer.  Just recently demonstrations demanded the disposal of the statues of Cecil Rhodes be destroyed ( they are now being removed) and there has been a serious increase in crime as well as economic problems.  The bornfree movement (young Africans born after apartheid) has been very critical of even Mandela's legacy.  I'd bet the last thing the SA government wants right now is a high profile Brit royal showing up - Harry's visit would provide a perfect opportunity for this angry young movement to stage a protest - which I would guess would put a big dent in Harry's love affair with SA.

On the other hand - Harry had best enjoy SA while he can - as things are going - he may find it a place that the  he won't be able to visit so much in the future.

As for Chelsy -are there not whisperings that she is working there?  And that her Dad may be ill?

if you want more info - a short summary  Why South Africa's born-free generation is not happy - BBC News//

cate1949

I rather doubt Her Majesty's Gov really needed a Harry trip to SA - especially when things are becoming so fraught.  Harry had to go for the Sentebale stuff and so the rest was tacked on.  Anne was there less than a year ago .

Harry has a African fantasy aided and abetted by his time there with Chelsy.  But the reality of SA is a simmering pot getting ready to boil over - Harry had best not get caught in that.

michelle0187

^Tom Sykes is that you?

his first trip there was to get away after his mother's death. He has mentioned his mother's work as inspiration and motivation behind his charity work there. Why does one week in SA to check on the progress of the charity he started with seeiso, sounds so insignificant?

wannable

The program looks weak, he actually will be a few hours of work in Lesotho, then free the 27th crossing boarders to SA, no government officials there will be receiving him, it would be in the program if.

Play polo for private enterprise the 28th and the 29th is free, the 30th the archbishop, the national park, these two public, and more private enterprises, charities and foundations. In behalf of HM Gov to me means they paid the trip rather than the country he is visiting, whom usually cover all expenses, and gov officials by names are in the program. When it's also a different kind of foreign trip not in behalf of HM or government, usually the program mentions if their Royal foundation is paying part, plus other fundraisers for more fundraising in the country to visit. Or half and half, because their is a mix of events from both in behalf of HM, government and their charities.

Review the program, the only SA government related is probably the national park. The archbishop is religion, and the rest is private enterprises.

michelle0187

Curryong

^^ When Royals go overseas on official visits of any sort, even if there is private business mixed in, even if there are few official duties, it is always announced by KP/ BP that they have been asked by the British Government (which formally is Her Majesty's Government.) Its a bit of diplomatic-speak which doesn't mean much. It's just used when member of the BRF go somewhere abroad and it's not a holiday.

When Charles and Camilla go on tour to Aus and NZ and sample the local wine and cheese and see craftwork, when William and Kate went to see the beach and Kate took part in volleyball, when Sophie attended a garden party in the Bahamas after listening to a children's choir, they were taking part in tours that they have been supposedly asked to undertake on behalf of the British Government.

In fact they very rarely are asked by the Government to undertake any tours. Charles's efforts to smooth arms sales to the rulers of Gulf States when he's on tour there would be an exception. On those occasions he would consult with Government Ministers and the Foreign Office and he with them.

The Foreign Office doesn't pay for these trips, it's often a mix of the hosts (the government of the country visited) and the Queen (who helps with expenses when members of her family are undertaking engagements in her name.)

Mostly it's the Commonwealth Secretariat in London and the host country that settles the itinerary. It is usually based on spots that would attract tourists and a popular Royal will publicise these, plus local products which they want displayed to the media.

Sometimes a cause or charities a Royal is interested in are also featured, like Edward, who is always seen with the Duke of Edinburgh Awards projects, if appropriate in the Commonwealth countries, also military /remembrance ceremonies  are sometimes arranged for the Royal. None of them exactly sit down and negotiate trade deals!

These tours where the Royal meets many people and is often on display to thousands over the course of even a short tour, often require rest days. Charles and Camilla took them in their tours, so did William and Kate, so did the Queen and PP when they went on tour, as did the QM and Princess Margaret. They all do it, not just Harry.

Trudie

^ NO I did read what you wrote unlike you and some of your pals I do not have a comprehension problem nor do I hate on Harry because he is more popular then his father unlike you.

wannable

Trickled and filtered source, one famous historian Will call this Harry's Yearly Christmas Pilgrimage.

Nothing wrong. To the contrary because the purpose of Sentebale is in Lesotho. Just call it as it is.

Curryong

^ According to Richard Palmer, Harry's 'day off' on November 27th is to avoid clashes with media reporting on the Queen opening CHOGM on that date. (BP and KP always do that to avoid competition between royals and their engagements.) Harry will probably spend the day in Lesotho.

Curryong

^ It's really sweet that Mutsu even wore the blue gum boots Harry bought him to bed!  :)

wannable

The DM claims that Harry and Mutsu write and see each other almost all the time during Harry's yearly Sentebale Lesotho trip, but when reading Mutsu's letter, it seems the last time they saw each other was when they met, 10 years ago.

Curryong

^ The Daily Fail is known for its inaccuracy. However, Mutsu is in the Senrebale residential and educational programme and refers to knowing that Harry is happy when he gets his letters.

There are also hints throughout the letter (which was written just before Harry visited Lesotho in 2014) that they have met several times over the years. Not as many, certainly, as the DM claims and probably not every time Harry visits Sentable, but certainly there have been meetings and letters over the decade and a bit since Harry formed the charity..

Curryong

^ This Centre is desperately needed by these poor children. I think Diana would be enormously proud of what her son has achieved.

gec

Harry has such natural compassion, warmth and genuineness. This even comes through it photographs. I found his speech to be incredibly moving. He is clearly passionate and dedicated to the cause. This work is incredibly important. It changes lives of some of the most vulnerable for the better each and every day. This is Harry in his element and at his absolute best.

wannable

Curryong

^ Archbishop Tutu insisted on standing for quite a long time while photos were being taken and Harry handed over the Companion of Honour. I think that's very nice of him as he's not a young man or a well one. They all looked much more relaxed when they sat down to tea.

wannable

Rich boy patronizing oops the disadvantage children about his £20,000 a year school, and wanting to be a bad boy.

At some point in life, disadvantage will google Eton and will very likely think, lucky boy with wealthy parents treated us like if our school is better than Eton bla, and faux pas thinks we were or are bad boys. Poorly done.

1 out of 100 will receive a scholarship to study with the rich, statistics, and will become an example and voice to his /her kind. 

gec

The 'best' school does not mean it is the best fit for every child. I can understand the reasoning for wanting to have William (who is clearly no genius himself) and Harry together after what had happened to their mother. It's just a shame that is was such a poor fit for Harry.

I actually think the messaging Harry is portraying to these children is a positive one - the most expensive education is not always the best choice for everyone. And to counter this, a much much much less prestigious education doesn't mean that one can't achieve goals and make a contribution to society and improve their life. Getting an education is what matters.

I actually believe it would have been best for both of them to have been sent to a school abroad somewhere in Europe. They would have had privacy and would have developed a broader circle of friends and had a greater range of experiences.