Royals' 'Thoughts and Prayers' with Flood Victims In Solomon Islands

Started by cinrit, April 11, 2014, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have sent condolences to the people of the Solomon Islands in the wake of floods that killed at least 23 people and left thousands homeless.

The couple have a special connection with the islands.  As part of Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, Prince William and Catherine toured the Solomons and on September 17, 2012, they stayed a couple of nights at an exclusive and remote resort on Tuvanipupu Island.

In a message to the Solomon Island Governor General, Frank Kabui, the royal couple expressed sympathies to the families of those killed in the floods.

More: Royals' 'thoughts and prayers' with flood victims in Solomon Islands - National News | TVNZ

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

"Thoughts and Prayers"  Oh please!  I'm sorry, but I doubt W&K have any "thoughts" about the people in the floods, let alone having them in their "Prayers".   When do they pray exactly? 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very caring and compassionate people.

robynrose

Sure they are that is why she spent so little time at Rainbow House and the whole tour is like a recap of someone 's vacation pics . The big difference is that they have some of  the best people in the world taking the pics

TLLK

Sorry to read that the people in the islands have been affected by flooding.

Double post auto-merged: April 14, 2014, 09:45:05 PM

Quote from: SophieChloe on April 14, 2014, 08:41:03 PM
"Thoughts and Prayers"  Oh please!  I'm sorry, but I doubt W&K have any "thoughts" about the people in the floods, let alone having them in their "Prayers".   When do they pray exactly? 
Some people pray before bed and others the first thing in the morning. Others use their time at their house of worship or when they find a time to meditate. Some people do it publicly but others choose to do it in private. Maybe one day the Cambridges will share when they do pray, but otherwise I believe it is their own private business.   :)

Limabeany

First, they work behind the scenes, and now, even though they attend Church only when forced to and Kate only confirmed her faith only because she was entering a high profile marriage, they also pray behind the scenes...  :random39:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 14, 2014, 09:18:35 PM
Until they prove it, IMO, they are simply celebrity tourists who are paid to play nice with the locals.  :happy15:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 14, 2014, 09:51:13 PM
First, they work behind the scenes, and now, even though they attend Church only when forced to and Kate only confirmed her faith only because she was entering a high profile marriage, they also pray behind the scenes...  :random39:
Well they do pray in public during church services and like you I do believe that they pray in private. :wink: And I'd be willing to bet that both have them have uttered a "Dear God, 'Help me pass this test!!!" Wouldn't be surprised if both of them said their own private prayers during George's delivery too.  :)

Limabeany

Ah, yes, you are right, special occasions! Of course!  :happy15:

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 14, 2014, 09:57:42 PM
Ah, yes, you are right, special occasions! Of course!  :happy15:
And desperate situations too!!!!!

Lothwen

It's really easy for people to say "thoughts and prayers" when there's a tragedy involved.  How much thought, or how many prayers the Cambridges have offered up is up to debate.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

Quote from: Limabeany on April 14, 2014, 09:51:13 PM
Like Kate, Letizia also was confirmed prior marrying Felipe in 2004. I'm not sure how it is with the Church of England, but the emphasis in the Catholic Church is to have people take  this sacrament when they're older and when it is their decision. You don't do this as a middle school student anymore. With HM being the Head of the Church of England, I'm not surprised to read that Kate would have taken this step. Most European royal families are aligned with their nation's most prominent church (Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Dutch Reform, Church of England) so marrying into the family typically means that you agree to join the church and complete any required sacraments. Queen Maxima of the Netherlands remained a Roman Catholic, but agreed to raise their daughters in the Dutch Reform Church. CP Mary and Princess Marie of Denmark both left their former denominations (Presbyterian/Catholic) to become Lutherans. Most of us are familiar with the members of the BRF who changed their denominations as well at their marriage ie: Prince Phillip- Greek Orthodox to Church of England.  Among the Islamic royal families of the Middle East and South East Asia it is also required that a member of the family be Muslim. King Abdullah's mother Princess Muna and his step-mother Noor were both converts to Islam upon marrying the late King Hussein.

Now the relationship of the people mentioned above and their God is ultimately a very private one IMHO that at times requires public worship. :)

Limabeany

Kate and William don't seem to have any relationship with God other than a forced public one...  Although why not add the prayer behind the scenes theory to their very busy behind the scenes schedules?  :happy15:

Windsor

Statements like that are issued almost on a daily basis across the world by most Heads of State or people in similar positions to that of a Head of State. It is the most basic form of diplomatic contact.  :)

Lothwen

You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

SophieChloe

Quote from: Windsor on April 15, 2014, 12:46:00 PM

Statements like that are issued almost on a daily basis across the world by most Heads of State or people in similar positions to that of a Head of State. It is the most basic form of diplomatic contact.  :)
I call it....going through the motions.  Not sincere.   Shame  :(

Limabeany

I agree with SophieChloe, when you have visited the country your response should be more heartfelt and less generic...  :Jen:

Windsor

All they did was sign their on a diplomatic message of support for a fellow Commonwealth country in distress - whether they believe it or not, or whether its sincere or not is irrelevant.

Limabeany

But, feeling something once in a while and responding appropriately instead of signing their names to what their staff believed they should respond to would be caring... But, they don't need to care, do they, just smile and wave and make small talk , and not even every week, just a few times a year...  :blank:

cinrit

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Windsor

These statements are issued automatically by the Foreign Office and signed by the pertinent member of the Royal Family/Government. It is not something written up because they wish to send people a warm message, etc... You cannot condemn them for a message that will come out with or without their consent.  :shrug:

SophieChloe

So in future, all the messages of caring concern.....are just standard and mean zilch!

It's like sending a Birthday card that you never even thought about buying (somebody else did), did not write the message inside and someone else posted it.

I thought so  :thumbsdown:

Do W&K have a sincere bone in their bodies?

TLLK

Quote from: Windsor on April 17, 2014, 02:15:33 PM
These statements are issued automatically by the Foreign Office and signed by the pertinent member of the Royal Family/Government. It is not something written up because they wish to send people a warm message, etc... You cannot condemn them for a message that will come out with or without their consent.  :shrug:
Thank you for being the voice of reason. The statement issued is exactly like one the American State Dept. would have expressed as well. I know that the President, Vice-President and First Lady would give a similar one as well. It is typical of what any government and/or high-profile public figure would make on behalf of their nation.  :)

SophieChloe

So W&K had nothing to do with this little nugget 
QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have sent condolences to the people of the Solomon Islands in the wake of floods that killed at least 23 people and left thousands homeless.
Sorry, but I knew that already.  They care only about themselves. 

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 14, 2014, 09:18:35 PM

Really?  They did not write the message off their own backs.  It's a standard message apparently.

Quote from: Windsor on April 17, 2014, 02:15:33 PM
These statements are issued automatically by the Foreign Office and signed by the pertinent member of the Royal Family/Government. It is not something written up because they wish to send people a warm message, etc...

Just like being a Patron in W&K's world. Others do the work and they take all the glory. 

Windsor

Quote from: SophieChloe on April 17, 2014, 07:07:15 PM
So in future, all the messages of caring concern.....are just standard and mean zilch!

Just look at the various statements issued - all follow a similar pattern, and the wording most of the time is identical...