Prince Charles wont lived Buckingham Palace when he become King

Started by sara8150, September 17, 2017, 07:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Prince Charles 'won't live at Buckingham Palace when he becomes King' - even though it is currently getting a 10-year £370m makeover
Prince Charles 'won't live at Buckingham Palace as King' | Daily Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2017, 07:11:49 PM

Prince Charles 'wants to give up Buckingham Palace to public when he becomes king'
Prince Charles to give up Buckingham Palace to public when he is king | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

Double post auto-merged: September 17, 2017, 07:12:44 PM

Prince Charles may 'convert Buckingham ­Palace into business-like monarchy HQ' when King
Prince Charles may ?turn Buckingham ­Palace into business-like monarchy HQ? as King | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

royalanthropologist

I seriously wonder whether the monarchy can sue Journalists for slander and libel. That article is a prime example. At the very end there is a statement that completely negates everything written in the article.

Meanwhile the numpties on the DM commentary are up in arms. Some are hoping Charles dies before his mum (nasty or what?). I think the DM knows its audience...not too bright and filled with hate. They just throw red meat at every turn to see how they gorge themselves on troll-fodder.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sara8150

Curryong

The report that Charles and then William won't treat BP as their home has been already smartly denied by KP staff and Prince Charles's media secretary.

However, the wording of the secretary's statement is somewhat ambiguous. He said BP will continue to be the official London home of the British monarchy.

Yes, it is for Elizabeth as well. Nevertheless, according to figures from the Telegraph last year, the Queen (and presumably Prince Philip) spent almost double the nights at Windsor than they did at Buckingham Palace. That doesn't shout a fondness for their rooms at BP to me, and Charles and Camilla no doubt will feel the same about it and might privately spend their private time in their old home.

The one thing that gives me pause with that scenario though is the expense of upkeep and repairs on both CH and BP from Duchy of Lancaster money and the Sovereign Grant. The media might well kick up a stink about two massive homes near to each other in the heart of London being maintained for the comfort of one elderly couple.

royalanthropologist

I don't doubt that BP comes pretty low on the fave list for royals. It is not a particularly beautiful or homely place. Clarence house has been maintained in the family for decades so I am not so sure they would want to give it up.

Besides when Charles gets his hands on the Duchy of Lancaster, you can expect some changes that are likely to bring as much or even more profitability than the Duchy of Cornwall. That will mean more money to play with so to speak. His Duchy of Cornwall team is already assembled and I am certain they will just move with him to Lancaster. Charles is very extravagant but nobody can ever accuse him of failing to pay his bills. He does have a team that takes care of the bacon very well.

What I think will happen is that it will become the new raymill house...i.e. bolthole extraordinaire if there is trouble in paradise or the new queen wants a break from ceremony.  In that way if she becomes the dowager, it becomes her home. Charles prefers Windsor and I think he will spend his unofficial time there with many state banquets there as well. BP will no longer have as much luster as it once had since the main attraction is that it is the monarch's residence.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Trudie

@royalanthropologist I think you are presuming a bit much thinking If Camilla becomes the dowager CH will become her home. Once Charles is gone if Camilla survives him it will be at the will of William where Camilla lives and face it she has Raymill which she owns. Camilla is not Williams mother and he will be under no real obligation to house her.

sandy

Charles may make provisions in his will  and make provisions for her if he predeceases Camilla. He may arrange for her housing in advance or she'll stay at Raymill and have a substantial inheritance from Charles.  Camilla I doubt will reside at Clarence House like the Queen Mother. She is not William's mother.

sara8150

TLLK

QuoteHowever, the wording of the secretary's statement is somewhat ambiguous. He said BP will continue to be the official London home of the British monarchy.
@Curryong-BINGO! This allows for some flexibility in future living arrangements  with the  the timeline for the renovation/repair work for BP and also takes into consideration the age related issues that Charles might be facing in the future since he is likely to be in his seventies before he ascends to the throne.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Her position may be tenable if HM/PP and C pre decease her(although barring an accident, unlikely). One can imagine W&H re enacting CS & D infamous bin bag exit routine they gave Raine, half their blood is Spencer after all  :lol:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^Well...with camera phones and CCTV all around I don't know if they'd actually do it @Duch_Luver_4ever! :D

I would imagine the scenario that Camilla is widowed has already been planned for years ago (Those courtiers never miss a chance to plan!) with boxes, packing tape and labels marked "RAYMILL" already waiting.

Duch_Luver_4ever

So true, last thing they need is an image of Harry or Wills kicking a bin bag full of clothes down the stairs on the DM, etc. but the imagination does like to wander LOL.

Also I doubt theyd actually do something like that, but I also dont think the boys will have her hanging around very long, either.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on September 19, 2017, 02:55:59 PM
Her position may be tenable if HM/PP and C pre decease her(although barring an accident, unlikely). One can imagine W&H re enacting CS & D infamous bin bag exit routine they gave Raine, half their blood is Spencer after all  :lol:
I hoep they are not so apppallngly badly brought up....

royalanthropologist

A king's dowager has rights that have nothing to do with the new king. Those include housing, a title and her income which remains the same as when she was queen consort (currently about $1.5 million a year). Those rights are not affected by whether or not she is the mother of the current king.

I cannot imagine for a second William treating his step mother so appallingly. These are not the Spencer children. They were brought up very differently and are not prone to irrational emotional outbursts. There would be an outcry if a queen dowager was treated so shabbily (even the government would step in, not least because that would constitute pensioner abuse) and it would show William to be a rather unpleasant person. All indications are that neither William nor Harry is interested in such nonsense. The mind does wander though and people are allowed to imagine extreme scenarios

In any case Camilla's own children would not tolerate anyone shoving her down the stairs like Diana did or having her things thrown out in the bin liner like Charles Spencer did to Rainer.  The former was actually a serious assault case that could have had serious consequences had Rainer's children persuaded her to follow it through with a complaint. It was nothing to be proud about and the Spencer children ought to have been ashamed that they behaved in that way. Their father would have been appalled at the way they treated his widow.

sandy

William and Harry ARE Spencers by blood. Half their DNA is Spencer. Everybody can lash out at times.  Charles has temper tantrums according to his biographers.  Temper tantrums (gnashes) run in the Windsor Family. George VI was known for fits of temper. Spencers are not perfect but neither are the Windsors.

Charles' will is probably all set and he will treat his widow (should he predecease her) very well. She will get the jewels that he got her at auction, she will get a generous settlement. She will not be tossed into the streets, so to speak.  It is impossible since Charles has a will set up and no question she will be treated well.

Her concern and comfort will be HER children and grandchildren. I don't think it is a lovefest wtih William, Harry and Camilla. Considering how they spoke so well about their mother and William said he understood why Diana did the Panorama interview. Which speaks volumes. That does not mean he will toss Camilla into the streets. Camilla will be well provided for.

Diana did not shove her stepmother "down the stairs" that did not happen if it did she would have been hospitalized. Raine and Diana made up. Their quarrel was their business. It was strictly between them.  They were friends from 1992 until the day Diana died. Besides which, what does this have to do with how Camilla will be treated if Charles' predeceases her

Camilla did character assassinate Diana by cooperating with Junor which I find heinous. But the boys will be polite and cordial to her and Charles provided her with lifelong security in his will. should he predecease her.

There was no serious assault case. None. Besides which why would one want to cause pain by posthumously filing a complaint about a long dead woman. I doubt Raine would have agreed with your condemnation of Diana. They were close.

Camilla is set for life no matter what. SHe is not being "abused" if she not as close to her step children as she is to her children with her first husband. She had no part in raising William and Harry. They are polite to her and will respect their father's wishes.

That said, I doubt she'll spend the rest of her days in Clarence House. Which does not constitute bad treatment.

TLLK

Quote from: royalanthropologist on September 19, 2017, 08:32:21 PM
A king's dowager has rights that have nothing to do with the new king. Those include housing, a title and her income which remains the same as when she was queen consort (currently about $1.5 million a year). Those rights are not affected by whether or not she is the mother of the current king.

I cannot imagine for a second William treating his step mother so appallingly. These are not the Spencer children. They were brought up very differently and are not prone to irrational emotional outbursts. There would be an outcry if a queen dowager was treated so shabbily (even the government would step in, not least because that would constitute pensioner abuse) and it would show William to be a rather unpleasant person. All indications are that neither William nor Harry is interested in such nonsense. The mind does wander though and people are allowed to imagine extreme scenarios

In any case Camilla's own children would not tolerate anyone shoving her down the stairs like Diana did or having her things thrown out in the bin liner like Charles Spencer did to Rainer.  The former was actually a serious assault case that could have had serious consequences had Rainer's children persuaded her to follow it through with a complaint. It was nothing to be proud about and the Spencer children ought to have been ashamed that they behaved in that way. Their father would have been appalled at the way they treated his widow.
I agree that neither William or Harry are likely to treat their step-mother in a shabby fashion. They witnessed enough family antics in the past, so I doubt they'd want to stir up any more.  As I mentioned before, it is quite likely that all of this pertaining to Camilla's future housing, income, status as the widow of a monarch/heir-to-the-throne etc..  has already been arranged should Camilla survive Charles.

Trudie

Camilla won't be thrown out to the streets however, In the case of dowagers, the widows must move in a reasonable amount of time for the new head of the manor to take over. Most dowagers move to a small place on the estate provided by new Duke, Earl etc Camilla will probably be given a place in KP.

TLLK

^^^True @Trudie but I've read that QEQM did take her time in leaving BP after the death of George VI.

Curryong

I think that in the IMO unlikely scenario that Camilla will outlive Charles that she will live at Raymill and have rooms at BP for when she is in London. It's unlikely in my view that a women who would probably be in her eighties would require a huge house in London.

Of course the QM did, but then she lived in grand Edwardian style on £630,000 a year, had five homes and reputedly left more than £7 million in debts. The Queen and Charles subsidised her, something unlikely to happen with William and George I think.

The Empress of Extravagance: How the Queen Mother left behind more than £7m in debts | Daily Mail Online

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, You mentioned the Sovereign Grant. What is the Sovereign Grant?

Duch_Luver_4ever

Well lots to mention since ive been at work. The bin bags and stairs are two separate incidents the shove down the stairs in 89 at CS wedding, and the bin bags in 92 with johnny's death. I dont know why some seem to refuse to believe falling/pushing and stairs connected with Diana's life, but it was confirmed by Diana herself and others who were there.

A fall down the stairs does not equal automatic hospitalization, I saw my mum fall down a whole flight of stairs and just be bruised, as was the case with Raine and Diana when they went down a flight of stairs.

True, Raine and Diana made up towards the end of her life, and it surely wasnt the best behavior to be sure, but my gallows humor does get a kick out of imagining  a replay, but im sure Camillas clothes will be un bin bagged and stairs will go one at a time, given her brittle skeleton, even I wouldnt want to see her put through that. Although back in the day it would have been a hoot to see Diana and Camilla go toe to toe like Joan Collins and Linda Evans did on Dynasty :lol: :teehee: :lol:

That article about the QM is just shocking, even the most ardent tory could be turned into an ardent liberal after reading that. Also it piled more on the legacy of failure for HM, luckily the brits are such compliant towards their royals otherwise stuff like that should have had ppl out for blood (or at least their hard earned tax money back). Just disgraceful of the QM (and her enablers, HM and PoW) as it had not just a financial but a health impact on people that were responsible to try and keep the ship afloat.

Puts Charles's comment to Diana about more shopping on the Gulf tour in a whole new light.  :windsor:

royalanthropologist

I totally get it @Duch_Luver_4ever. Yes a Dynasty show down would be in order especially after that confrontation at Anabel's birthday party but sadly both women were too controlled to do that. I also think Camilla would have been out of the door if she ever engaged in a slinging match. Charles doesn't strike me as someone that can take the drama, although he can dish it out.

As for surviving stairs, your mum did have some strong constitution. I dread to think whether I would even be able to get up after that. I would just collapse into one hot mess. LOL :hehe:

QM lived in another age, literally. I think Charles learnt a lot from her, maybe even too much. He seems to be stuck in the Edwardian age.

FanDianaFancy

Oh gosh. You guys go to the extremes.
First.....
Rumors from media that are too silly to be true. BPalace.
King Charles and Queen Camilla will have BP as their London, capital city base.
It is the way it is. They do not have to be there for as much or as little depends on them.
Timing of the year, events, etc.
BP is well secured.  National tourist attraction. A place for major events such as  flyovers, state dinners, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These two will be 79/80 when QEII  even thinks about dying.lol. No, no I have no crystal balll, but these people live very long lives.
PP , good guest, will die before QEII.

King Charles and Queen Camilla  will have a good 10 years. K and W kids will be teenagers or young adults and WnK  about 50 at least before they become KnQ.

Just my predictions. 2029. 2038.

We none know who will pass away and when. That is a fact. It is also a fact, these people  in these times live very long lives well into mid to late 90s unless there is a terminal illness , health crisis( QE's father ) or they are ill due to  poor health choices ( Princess Margaret).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The extreme part of our conversation here, geesch. Interesting though. Very interesting. Some of us go from 0 to 100 depending who we are fans of in our fandom.

If PC  as P, dies before CPB! QE II, such a traditionalist , would afford CPB everything fitting for her station as PofW, DofCornwall, etc. PW would not have a say.

If Camilla, former QofE is still alive in her mid 90s, I bet King William would have her nicely kept at her home,RaymillH, security of course RPOs, but no , I doubt she would be around him or his family and BRF family times or even in communication with them she is not and won't be The Queen Mother or held in that regard by W and H and their families. I am so sorry for you all here who  want her to be, but knowing what we see, know what is reported, WnH and CPB are cordial, respect, and mindful of each other's place.

Camilla probably would  not care in her mid 90s. She had her time, history, etc. when she was in her 50s to 70s.  Her children have trust funds from Sir/PC.  She would probably care less about WnH and their lives, monarchy, W's reign ,etc. Camilla would  have her personal jewels for her heirs. Her name and place in history for her heirs. I would not be surprised if KingCharles would will , in addition to the trust funds for Camillas children, but   leave personal property too . Highgrove to TomPB perhaps.

Queen Camilla dying after King C, then  KingWilliam would.....here is where it is tricky.
Tradition calls for x procession, burial as Camilla would be a deceased QueenofEngland.
Camilla's children and  then adult grandchildren perhaps would take over her arrangements. There would be input from them that would have to be addressed.She would be deceased QofE, but not the Kings mother.

What a mess!

Burial and procession are already planned for these types. We common folks even have that ourselves for things.
Camilla dying before PC or even KingC, would surely kill him. He would soon die after of grief.

Again, Camilla is  not thinking about  dying until her  early to mid 90s so as DofCornwall for another 5 to 8 years, then QofEngland for about 10 years, she probably does not care. She has to buried in Frogmore or WestmintersA, A decent procession. King William would not   have to make it all too grand lasting days, etc.

Double post auto-merged: September 20, 2017, 10:42:07 AM

Quote from: TLLK on September 20, 2017, 12:43:44 AM
^^^True @Trudie but I've read that QEQM did take her time in leaving BP after the death of George VI.

If she did, she did. She was MOTHER then of former Princess Elizabeth and MOTHER of the new monarch, QEII.

There lies the difference.
QEII loved her mother and they were close.

WnH tolerate, respect, are cordial to, are decent to Camilla. Camilla is respectful, decent, cordial to W and his family and H and his life.
From we is reported, leaked out, etc., all parties are civil. Parties are not close...a close and loving  mother /sons and grandmother she is not to The Willams, PH.

Likewise, we go to extremes here but ok. 

There will be no one throwing no one down flights of stairs, a step or two, belongings packed and thrown out , etc.

Likewise, if PC or KC ever gets really ill or terminally I'll, CPB will never stop, limit, set the rules and manner in which visits will be or  set a  time clock on WnH visiting him.

sandy

I do know someone who fell down a flight of stairs (in her own home) and was very badly injured, she needed surgery Pronto  and needed extensive rehab. It was said in biographies that Raine was on a landing and it was a "Few Steps." Bringing in the stairs story is OT in any case. And Raine and Diana were friends from 1992- to Diana's death so  they made up. No injuries no flight of stairs a few steps. An elderly woman going down a flight of stairs generally does not just have "bruises" with fragile bones and all that.

Camilla would be Queen Dowager if she outlives Charles. And she would not live in "reduced" circumstances by any means.