Royal Music

Started by Windsor, January 18, 2012, 11:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windsor

I will post from time to time music that is directly and indirectly associated with Royalty, as well as music that I personally relate to the idea of Monarchy.

Perhaps it is fitting that I start this selection of music with the Coronation Anthems of Handel composed for the Coronation of King George II in 1727.

Windsor

To expand further on the Coronation Anthems, here are a few other pieces which are normally played at Coronations.

Trumpet Tune - by Henry Purcell. This piece has been played at most coronations since that of King James II of England, and VI of Scotland in April 1685. It was played at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953.

I Was Glad - by Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry. This piece was composed originally by Henry Purcell too, though it was rewritten in 1902 by Hubert Parry for the Coronation of King Edward VII and again slightly altered for the Coronation of King George V in 1911.

Windsor

For the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II in 1953, this piece was somewhat altered from its original version.

The Old One Hundredth Psalm Tune - by Ralph Vaughan Williams. It was arranged for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

QuoteAll people that on earth do dwell,
    Sing to the Lord with cheerful voice.
    Him serve with mirth, His praise forth tell;
    Come ye before Him and rejoice.

Windsor

God Save The Queen is the National and Royal Anthem of the Commonwealth Realms. Where it originates is unknown, though several composers have used parts of the tune in their compositions. The earliest was perhaps John Bull (1619) and Henry Purcell a few years later.

George Frederik Handel also used the tune widely in his compositions.

God Save The Queen by Unknown Composer. The anthem is perhaps the most popular and recognisable anthem in the world, with several other nations including Norway, Lichtenstein and the United States amongst others choosing this anthem as their own, or using the tune as part of their own patriotic musical repertoire.

QuoteGod save our gracious Queen,
    Long live our noble Queen,
    God save the Queen:
    Send her victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the Queen.

O Lord, our God, arise,
    Scatter her enemies,
    And make them fall.
    Confound their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix,
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign:
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen.

Windsor

Crown Imperial by William Walton was originally composed for the coronation of King Edward VIII, which was scheduled to take place in May 1937. However, following the King's abdication in December 1936 his brother the Duke of York was proclaimed King. Crown Imperial was therefore performed for the first time at the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937.

Windsor

The Quick March of the Irish Guards called 'St. Patrick's Day March' is a common musical piece played at Royal events involving the Irish Guards. The piece is also played when the Irish Guards are on duty during the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle.

For me personally, this piece of music brings back very many happy memories of when I was in the presence of the Queen's Majesty for the first time many years ago during the Trooping the Colour.

wannable

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Hale

This is my favourite:  Zadok the Priest  Love it.

wannable

I'm listening to that one right now. Beautiful piece!  My youtube is a bit slow downloading.

wannable

Harry Christophers and the orchestra have done an excellent performance. I'm actually liking the second one, My heart is inditing.   Youtube is so slow, pause and waiting to download the second half.

Windsor

Anyone who has been to Buckingham Palace during the Changing of the Guard, or Trooping the Colour will have heard this piece of music. It is 'Scipio' it was composed by Handel and currently serves as the Slow March of Her Majesty's Grenadier Guards.

Windsor

Did you know that Mozart's Second Movement of Eine kleine Nachtmusik was King George IV's favourite piece of music?

Hale

No Windsor I didn't know that piece by Mozart was George IV's favourite.  Thanks for that.   :thumbsup:

Scipio is another one I like.   :clap:

Windsor

The Bond of Friendship March played often by Her Majesty's Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards outside Buckingham Palace is a favourite Royal March. Queen Elizabeth II has been seen tapping her feet to this march during the Trooping of the Colour ceremony at Horse Guards Parade.

DrReSi

Quote from: Windsor on January 18, 2012, 11:08:46 PM
I will post from time to time music that is directly and indirectly associated with Royalty, as well as music that I personally relate to the idea of Monarchy.

This one I'd definitely consider as Royalty music:

"Procession of the Nobles" from the opera-ballet MIada, 1890 by Rimsky-Korsakov

DrReSi

Here's another

The bridal procession music in the wedding of Lady Diana Spencer and Prince Charles, 1981

"Prince of Denmark's March" by Jeremiah Clarke, 1699

DrReSi

Of course we'll include this one

"Rule, Britannia! Music by Thomas Arne, Lyrics by James Thomson, first played to commemorate King George II accession in 1740, was later included in the finale of HMS Pinafore to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887.

DrReSi

Quote from: Windsor on January 23, 2012, 10:23:43 PM
Crown Imperial by William Walton was originally composed for the coronation of King Edward VIII, which was scheduled to take place in May 1937. However, following the King's abdication in December 1936 his brother the Duke of York was proclaimed King. Crown Imperial was therefore performed for the first time at the Coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1937.

I just found out 1) the Crown Imperial by William Walton was also played as the recessional music in W&C's Royal Wedding 2011 and 2) Thomas Arne composed the music in God Save the Queen/King.

Here's more royal-related music

Paul Mealor's Ubi Caritas et Amor was commissioned by Prince William for his wedding in 2011.

I have to include this even if it is part of a movie soundtrack - it sounds so...regal:
Patrick Doyle's St Crispin's Day in Kenneth Branagh's film Henry V, 1989

Windsor

QuoteTweets featuring Royal Music brought to you by @Royalinsight's twitter feed. Stay tuned, and find us using hashtag #RoyalMusic @LastFM

Twitter

Mia Luvs Prince Hashem

This is my very first time visiting this thread, I was surprised about some music and this thread was sort of an enrich to my music knowledge about such things: Thank you :D

cinrit

QuoteInstruments Used In Queen's Coronation Sold for Charity

The instruments will be sold at Bonhams, in Knightsbridge

Instruments used at the funeral of King George VI and the coronation of the Queen Elizabeth II are being sold at auction to raise money for injured soldiers.

Fifty of the instruments played by the Orchestra of the Corps of Royal Engineers, based at Brompton Barracks, in Chatham, are being sold.

BBC News - Instruments used in Queen's coronation sold for charity 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Loli

Quote from: Windsor on May 14, 2012, 12:24:12 AM
QuoteTweets featuring Royal Music brought to you by @Royalinsight's twitter feed. Stay tuned, and find us using hashtag #RoyalMusic @LastFM

Twitter

Renowned English composer John Rutter was also commissioned to compose a piece for Prince William's wedding in 2011. His setting of "This Is The Day" was my single most favorite moment of the entire wedding. So very beautiful.

The Royal Wedding Ceremony - Westminster Abbey Choir - This is the day (by John Rutter) - YouTube

HereditaryPrincess

I really like "Come ye Sons of Art" by Purcell. It's a birthday ode to Queen Mary II:

Purcell - Birthday Ode for Queen Mary II (Z.323): I-V - YouTube

"Ode to St Cecilia" by Purcell sounds regal:

Purcell - Ode to St. Cecilia (Z.328): I-II - YouTube

"The Prince of Denmark's March" by Jeremiah Clarke:

Prince of Denmark's March / Trumpet Voluntary - Jeremiah Clarke - YouTube

"Kong Christian stod ved højen mast" is the Royal Anthem of Denmark. In English it translates as "King Christian stood by the lofty mast":

Kong Christian (Royal Danish Anthem) song and lyric - YouTube
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kong_Christian_stod_ved_h%C3%B8jen_mast

Double post auto-merged: May 29, 2013, 05:05:33 PM

The King Shall Rejoice by William Boyce:

The King Shall Rejoice - YouTube

My Heart is Inditing by Handel:

Händel Coronation Anthem No.4 ''My heart is inditing'', HWV261 - YouTube

HereditaryPrincess

"Marcha Real" is the national and royal anthem of Spain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcha_Real

Music For the Coronation of King George II by George Frederic Handel:

HANDEL - Music for the Coronation of King George II ( 1727 ) - YouTube

The Coronation of King George II, 1727- The Crowning:

The Coronation of King George II, 1727 - The Crowning - YouTube

The Coronation of King George II, 1727- The Anointing to the Investiture:

The Coronation of King George II, 1727 - The Anointing to The Investiture - YouTube

Limabeany

Loving this thread!  :thanks: :vday4:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.