Prince Harry admits seeking counseling after Diana's death

Started by sara8150, April 16, 2017, 09:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Prince Harry says he 'shut down' his emotions after his mother's death
https://gma.yahoo.com/prince-harry-says-shut-down-emotions-mothers-death-232807431--abc-news-entertainment.html

Double post auto-merged: April 17, 2017, 04:05:24 PM

Prince Harry reveals he sought counseling to help deal with Princess Diana's death
Prince Harry reveals he sought counseling to help deal with Princess Diana's death - TODAY.com

Double post auto-merged: April 17, 2017, 04:16:49 PM

Prince Harry opens up about grief after Princess Diana's death
Prince Harry talks about his grief, mental health after Princess Diana's death - CBS News

Double post auto-merged: April 17, 2017, 04:21:33 PM

Prince Harry reveals he sought therapy after experiencing 'total chaos' from mom Princess Diana's death
Prince Harry reveals he sought therapy after experiencing 'total chaos' from mom Princess Diana's death

TLLK

Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 17, 2017, 10:27:00 PM
Richard Kay (of all people :eyes:) has just written an article in DM suggesting that Prince Charles tried to encourage his sons to talk about their mother after her death, although the family had just been through an acrimonious divorce. Apparently Diana's pictures were brought out to remind the children of them although Charles had originally removed them after the separation. If that is true; then perhaps Charles is not the much-maligned bad parent that some were already suggesting.
Sharing photos, wedding gifts and any other mementos would be a reasonable suggestion from a grief counselor IMO. Quite likely it was a gentle way to get some conversation going with them after they'd moved back in with Charles after the funeral. However I have to say that Charles doesn't strike me as the type of person who would continue to push and engage his sons in conversations about their feelings about the divorce and their mother's death if they showed reluctance to do so. If the boys stated that they were "fine" then I don't see any of their family members pushing them to continue discussing the issue.

It seems to me that Harry was protecting himself by boxing up those feelings and getting on with his life as best that he could during those days, weeks, months after her death. Fortunately he did have some trusted people in his life though that he was willing to share his feelings with and who encouraged him to seek help when it became too much to bear.

Trudie

The problem with Harry and his loss was confusion. Here you have a child who was due to turn 13 in a couple of weeks he wakes up one morning to the most horrific news of his life his mother has died. He is then taken to church and no one mentioned Diana in prayers and if I remember correctly he asked are you sure mummy is dead?. Now I am not throwing anyone under the bus here but, The RF is usually devoid of all emotion in public and that morning was no different as far as stiff upper lips show. Charles at that time was more interested in how the public perceived him and his relationship with Camilla and in that first year Charles should have made Bolland heel. Diana was the mother of William and Harry and I am sorry but the first year was not the time to trash her memory and I don't buy the excuse that the boys were protected at school you can be sure they saw the headlines even once a week. So it comes as no surprise that Harry bottled up his feelings.

Curryong

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on April 17, 2017, 11:28:13 PM
Quote from: royalanthropologist on April 17, 2017, 10:27:00 PM
Richard Kay (of all people :eyes:) has just written an article in DM suggesting that Prince Charles tried to encourage his sons to talk about their mother after her death, although the family had just been through an acrimonious divorce. Apparently Diana's pictures were brought out to remind the children of them although Charles had originally removed them after the separation. If that is true; then perhaps Charles is not the much-maligned bad parent that some were already suggesting.
Sharing photos, wedding gifts and any other mementos would be a reasonable suggestion from a grief counselor IMO. Quite likely it was a gentle way to get some conversation going with them after they'd moved back in with Charles after the funeral. However I have to say that Charles doesn't strike me as the type of person who would continue to push and engage his sons in conversations about their feelings about the divorce and their mother's death if they showed reluctance to do so. If the boys stated that they were "fine" then I don't see any of their family members pushing them to continue discussing the issue.

It seems to me that Harry was protecting himself by boxing up those feelings and getting on with his life as best that he could during those days, weeks, months after her death. Fortunately he did have some trusted people in his life though that he was willing to share his feelings with and who encouraged him to seek help when it became too much to bear.
true, I think that Charles tried to get the boys to talk, and if they wanted to , he was there.  but if they didn't, he problaby wouldn't feel It was a good idea to push them.

FanDianaFancy

Several points.
1----  NOW,  well, yes, of course, the  SPIN TPTB  and  SPIN  BRF journalists  fans of PC and Camilla, will spin, so in,  it that  Charles tried  so hard  to  listen to the boys, ask them to freely  talk to each other and  anyone  about their mother....Oh pleases.!!!

2----PH  is not, was not  ever  mentally  ill. Mentally  ill  is the wrong phrase.

FACTSSFACTS FACTS  FACTS  ...lets stick to facts.

1-PH and PW  talked to each  their and had each  other.
They  may  have had  some very  good, very close,  1 or 2 friends  OUT  of all their  friends ,  if that many  too talk to.  Reread that  before anyone say yes the boys had close   friends and their families.  I said out of  all of their  combined  friends, each boy  had  1, maybe 2  who  they could confide  that  much  in.  We  do not tell all to  all very close friends.  Some  people  are  better  prayer warriors  , some are better listeners, some  are  sorrowful but do not know  how  to take n serious  matters and  then you  have  worriers  and  ,  Bless their hearts,  because  they  can handle things, but they  worryworryworry, wonder,second guess. cry. Feel so sad.  Worriers  get  told  some things in a  lesser  way.

We  know  PW had K,    then K and her family , and then  after marriage,  K and her family to depend more on . He started calling them Mom and Dad  before he  got engaged to  K.  Now, of course, he  ahs  children  and that  helps him cope  with  his feelings, thoughts  for his mother.
PH  did  not  have a long term  girlfriend, then  live-in  , then  still long term  woman and her  family , last breakup looking final, and then  marriage and kids  to help  him cope  like  PW.

2-PW and PH  may  have  had  1 or 2  people from TPTB  to  talk too, confide in.

3----PC is a  good  parent  and  loves them but  his background, his position  in life, his age, his personality, his mindset, and more  is  all about him and  then everyone  else.  His feelings  for PD.  Press for himself and  to work on Camilla.
PC  talking about  PD  to the boys, I doubt.

3----After  PD  died, the  moment she died, she  was  to be   buried, by how it  looked,  quickly and  done and quietly as possible.
She  was not even buried in the  place befitting her  name, rank, station in life as  MOTHER  of  the heir and spare, if needed.
Research Tony Blair, the people...I won't repeat all that. PD  was  a  non-subject. Gone.  PC and as  he married Camilla  , it seems TPTB   want  PD  erased . WoW!! To have it seem that  your mother is erased....erased from BRF...erased from  history....erased.
PC  NEVER  before the divorce, after   and after her death stopped is  camp  from bad mouthing PD.

4-----That phrase, " We love her to bits"  from PH  in reference  to Camilla,  well, it  makes sense  now and sounds opposite  to  me.  Cordial, respectful, moved  on with his  life, YES.  Trying to appease, be a  good  boy....be  nice...YES YES!!!!! 
PW  did NOT that  . PH spoke for him .  NONONONO, I am not saying they  despise, hate, feel ill will  towards  Camilla, but  I thinking loving her to bits  was PH's extreme phrase  coming  from  a  troubled  place .

-----------
Back to  being mentally  ill. Having mental illness.  There is nothing wrong with  mental  illness.
The  phrase  is thrown around today  and  is not  in  a  proper context.

PH was not mentally  ill.  Having gone throw  something traumatic-death  of a parent  at  a young age,  losing  a  child, awful divorce,  loss of  career/job, death of  a  pet, failing  a curse, money loss,  illness  etc. DOES NOT MEAN MENTALLY  ILL!!!
Having to  talk to  a marriage counselor, financial advisor  at  your  bank, someone at  a job  placement  agency to redirect  you  in searching  for other  careers/jobs,  a therapist, a lay person trained at  your  church  for different things,  school counselor...etc. does not mean mentally  ill.

Some of us  have better and more coping skills that others. Some people need to  learn  and seek out  coping skills. Some people can handle things better than theirs. Some people  can  live  on  with depression after loss of a  child than others  .

Mentallly  ill -needing  psychiatric care, heavy mood alternating  meds, etc. schizophrenia, 5150 hold at the  hospital,  committed to a mental  institution.

Mentally  ill, mental illness is  thrown around  too lightly.

I am sick . Well I  had a  cold  last year, so can I say  I am  physically sick? LOL!! No.
I was  depressed  about  some  relatives of mine of who died over the past  10  years, but  I  cannot  say I have  mental illness etc.

royalanthropologist

I think the royal family generally have reached a point where they just do what they please. It is so hard to please the public. Now Harry says he misses his mum and how he coped with her loss. That is miraculously translated into an attack on Charles' parenting skills. Harry gives an interview say that Camilla is no wicked step mum and that "he loves her to bits". Somehow that is interpreted as a sign of tension in the family. You really can't win sometimes. It is better to just get on with your life.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Jennifer

QuoteIn an unprecedentedly candid interview, Prince Harry has revealed that he sought counselling in the years after his late mother's death in order to come to terms with his loss.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Prince Harry said that he underwent two years of 'chaos' in his twenties when he came close to a breakdown on a number of occasions.

He said that despite his brother, Prince William, urging Harry to get help, he "shut down all of his emotions" for almost twenty years after Diana, Princess of Wales's death.

Read more:
Prince Harry reveals he has sought counselling to come to terms with his late mother's death – Royal Central

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2017, 12:18:53 PM

[mod]Members, this is a reminder that this thread is about Harry and his counseling NOT about Charles, Camilla or Diana! I've warned you all many times to stay on topic, but since none of you payed attention my other warnings, I am deleting off-topic posts. [/mod]
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

TLLK

According to the Evening Standard article the mental health organization says that they've seen a 40% increase in calls since Harry's interview was published.

Katie Hopkins faces backlash for comments about Prince William and Harry's mental health campaigning | London Evening Standard

Trudie

@ TLLK that is a good thing. Media reporters and commentators that are chastising Harry, William and Kate for speaking out and accusing them of having a pity party have no idea that there are people reluctant to accept help because of those very scathing articles and people suffer in silence Mental wellness is being confused with Mental illness two separate issues. Mental wellness learning coping skills to deal with loss, anxiety etc all of which are normal. Mental illness is treating those with paranoia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder with medications to ease symptoms to keep from harming themselves or others.

Mike

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry spoke openly about mental health issues and the loss of Princess Diana.

UK royals talk candidly about losing Diana - CNN Video
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

amabel

Seems to me this heading should really be "Harry admits he sought cousellnig several years after Diana's death"..

sandy

Curryong

I hope she is proud of her grandsons, especially of Harry baring his soul in order to show that princes can hurt too. It's not something she herself would do, or Philip, but it is of this time and I think Harry's glad he unburdened himself in such a natural way. The approach this week has received some sniping on social media, but health professionals were enthusiastic. Says it all really, doesn't it?

amabel

If they are doig ti form the right motives, to help others rather than just yarning on about hteir own troubles, yest I'm sure she and Diana would be proud of them.

Trudie

Amabel you and I have suffered losses recently and I am sure that as I have and you found that grief can become overwhelming. The Princes suffered a great loss as children and I think their motives for speaking out may be the right ones. There are people who sometimes cannot articulate just how deep their loss is especially to friends and family who possibly are grieving with them. Mentally it can take a toll and I found that out upon losing my father twenty four years ago. At the time I was more focused on my mother and siblings and taking care of everything and trying to stay strong well a couple of months later I started getting panic attacks and it was then I sought counseling and learned it is better to receive help in dealing with that all too powerful emotion and it is not a weakness.

amabel

No I'm sure they mean well by this speaking out.. though I'm a little surprised that they didn't do it sooner..

FanDianaFancy

"Back to  being mentally  ill. Having mental illness.  There is nothing wrong with  mental  illness.
The  phrase  is thrown around today  and  is not  in  a  proper context.

PH was not mentally  ill.  Having gone throw  something traumatic-death  of a parent  at  a young age,  losing  a  child, awful divorce,  loss of  career/job, death of  a  pet, failing  a curse, money loss,  illness  etc. DOES NOT MEAN MENTALLY  ILL!!!
Having to  talk to  a marriage counselor, financial advisor  at  your  bank, someone at  a job  placement  agency to redirect  you  in searching  for other  careers/jobs,  a therapist, a lay person trained at  your  church  for different things,  school counselor...etc. does not mean mentally  ill.

Some of us  have better and more coping skills that others. Some people need to  learn  and seek out  coping skills. Some people can handle things better than theirs. Some people  can  live  on  with depression after loss of a  child than others  .

Mentallly  ill -needing  psychiatric care, heavy mood alternating  meds, etc. schizophrenia, 5150 hold at the  hospital,  committed to a mental  institution.

Mentally  ill, mental illness is  thrown around  too lightly.

I am sick . Well I  had a  cold  last year, so can I say  I am  physically sick? LOL!! No.
I was  depressed  about  some  relatives of mine of who died over the past  10  years, but  I  cannot  say I have  mental illness etc. " FanDianaFancy

Double post auto-merged: April 24, 2017, 09:33:42 AM

Quote from: Trudie on April 21, 2017, 04:22:08 PM
@ TLLK that is a good thing. Media reporters and commentators that are chastising Harry, William and Kate for speaking out and accusing them of having a pity party have no idea that there are people reluctant to accept help because of those very scathing articles and people suffer in silence Mental wellness is being confused with Mental illness two separate issues. Mental wellness learning coping skills to deal with loss, anxiety etc all of which are normal. Mental illness is treating those with paranoia, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder with medications to ease symptoms to keep from harming themselves or others.

I agree  with you. I said  the same thing.  I like  how  you better phrased it  : mental illness vs. mental  wellness.

PH was not  mentally  ill.  PD  was not mentally ill either.
These is  turning on  PH and  PK.
Her comments  about  being  a  new  mother.....Being  a new  mother  can be lonely.
Oh please. She  had a  house full of servants. A  close  and supportive family. Moved to her Mother and Fathers' house  after  she  had  her baby.   She had a nanny.  Drivers. Housekeepers. No money  worries  or  thoughts of budgeting  or  putting her child in  child care/nursery school at  8-9 weeks  ...she had  no maternity  leave.
YES YES,  being a new mother,  takes  a while hormonely  to  recover and  one's emotions  can  be  different  or  not the  new mothers  ' norm. 
YESYES. Had  she said something like that, then ok.

Their  (PW, PH, PK) Royal  pity party  tour needs  to end .

TLLK

Curryong

10 million is a marvellous total. I hope it is distributed wisely and really gets down to ground roots level. Of course, what is really needed is the government to come to the party, back mental health initiatives to the hilt and help train more counsellors.

What is happening in the real world unfortunately is that governments everywhere are cutting back resources in vital areas. The upshot is that community agencies like the one in which I work are seeing dozens of people each week with severe mental health problems and nowhere to go.

amabel

what is needed IMO are people working in counseling etc who know their job.  Money can't buy skills.. or dedication.