The Queen?s sister who captivated Britain with intrigue

Started by Kritter, February 21, 2018, 07:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Princess Margaret in pictures: The Queen?s sister who captivated Britain with intrigue | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuotePRINCESS Margaret, Countess of Snowdon was a fascinating woman with immense star power. A witty, glamorous and rebellious character, the Queen?s sister was nicknamed ?The Royal Rebel?. Here is a look back at the life of Princess Margaret through iconic photographs.

LouisFerdinand

I like the photos of Princess Margaret with Princess Elizabeth that were taken in 1938 and 1946. Both sisters wore similar style dresses.

Kritter

Royal News: Princess Margaret - How the Queen's sister shocked with her 'slinky gyrations' | Royal | News | Express.co.uk

QuoteAronson wrote: ?The Princess ?grabbed the microphone from the startled leader of the band, whom she instructed to play songs by Cole Porter.

?Obediently, all the guests stopped dancing and stood listening to the Princess?s performance.?

Her wild performance would lead the Queen?s younger sister to be branded a ?little manic?.

The book read: ?As they ?shouted and roared for more? she became, says Lady Caroline Blackwood, who was watching, ?a little manic,? with her swaying, full-skirted ball gown proving quite unsuitable for her ?slinky? gyrations.?

But the impish royal spare would be stopped by a ?blind drunk? painter, named Francis Bacon.

The royal biographer said: ?She had just launched into ?Let?s Do It? when, from the back of the crowded ballroom, came loud sounds of booing and barracking.

Curryong

Oh dear, this reminds me of the karaoke nights that used to be so popular, and people who had had  a few wanting to get up and show what a great singer they were, not! Apparently Margaret could hold a tune and loved dancing but she was no glittering star. The trouble was that she was half convinced that she was!

Kritter

Princess Margaret as you've never seen her before | Daily Mail Online

QuoteA year or two after I met Princess Margaret at a dinner party, I was commanded by my doctor to stay in bed for five months. It was the only way, he said, to ensure I wouldn?t lose the baby I was carrying.

This created difficulties, as my husband ? the journalist and travel writer Quentin Crewe ? had been diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at the age of six and was by then in a wheelchair. Also, we had no help in our London flat.

I read countless books and watched TV. I wasn?t exactly bored, but longed to get up and go out. The only news that stirred the bedroom was when Q (as everyone called him) arrived home one afternoon to say that President Kennedy had been shot.

Princess Margaret happened to be pregnant at the time with her daughter Sarah, and was sympathetic about my incarceration.