How The Duchess of Cornwall Won Our Hearts

Started by cinrit, July 02, 2014, 10:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eri

I think Harry's "I love her to bits" was to try to calm things down and make it been known he had 0 problems with Camilla at a time where she was still a very controversial figure ... Cam has been around Harry since he was 13/14 in no way shape or form a "grown up" and has been around more than Di has so maybe when he says something about a person who has been there all his life we should believe him  :shrug: ...

Trudie

Well if you are doing the numbers now Eri of course Camilla has been around Harry more then Diana who conveniently died when Harry was 12 a few weeks shy of his 13Th birthday however, Diana was his mother and a wonderful mother,Who was there for her son from birth and his formative years. Camilla was not there is whole life she met Harry a year after Diana's death and he was at Eton, then Gap year and Sandhurst and his military career so the reality is How exactly can you say Camilla has been around more then Diana?

amabel

They both probably get on well enough with her.  She has more interests in common with the Royal family, than Di ever had.  I think that while they of course Loved Diana dearly, they were probably going to grow away from her a bit as they got older because she was into a different kind of lifestyle, and they were pretty much traditional "country boys" like the majority of the royals and upper classes.  Di hated Balmoral etc and the boys like it becase it gives them a palce to be away from the media, to pursue sports etc. Im sure as boys they were reluctant to embrace Cam beucase she had made Di unhappy but as time passed, they realised that their parents marriage had always been a difficult one and that Cam while she hadn't helped, problaby wasn't the main factor in breaking it up.

Eri

sandy

Quote from: amabel on July 10, 2014, 11:18:43 AM
They both probably get on well enough with her.  She has more interests in common with the Royal family, than Di ever had.  I think that while they of course Loved Diana dearly, they were probably going to grow away from her a bit as they got older because she was into a different kind of lifestyle, and they were pretty much traditional "country boys" like the majority of the royals and upper classes.  Di hated Balmoral etc and the boys like it becase it gives them a palce to be away from the media, to pursue sports etc. Im sure as boys they were reluctant to embrace Cam beucase she had made Di unhappy but as time passed, they realised that their parents marriage had always been a difficult one and that Cam while she hadn't helped, problaby wasn't the main factor in breaking it up.

Diana never stopped the boys from being "country boys."  Diana would have been a splendid Queen Consort. I disagree that she never "fitted in." She did not put up with the custom of the husband keeping a mistress and I don't blame her one bit for that.

I don't see Camilla having things in common with the royals considering the way she joined the family She usurped the wife's place as hostess at Highgrove and undermined the wife  which mistresses like Lily Langtry would never even attempt to do. Camilla is quite fortunate --she could have been ousted like Wallis Simpson was.

The boys lost their mother and miss her and I doubt they have a love fest with the erstwhile other woman.

Double post auto-merged: July 10, 2014, 01:33:52 PM

Quote from: Trudie on July 10, 2014, 11:16:11 AM
Well if you are doing the numbers now Eri of course Camilla has been around Harry more then Diana who conveniently died when Harry was 12 a few weeks shy of his 13Th birthday however, Diana was his mother and a wonderful mother,Who was there for her son from birth and his formative years. Camilla was not there is whole life she met Harry a year after Diana's death and he was at Eton, then Gap year and Sandhurst and his military career so the reality is How exactly can you say Camilla has been around more then Diana?

I agree. Camilla could be around many more years but she is never going to replace Diana in her sons hearts.

Double post auto-merged: July 10, 2014, 01:35:42 PM

Quote from: Eri on July 10, 2014, 08:06:14 AM
I think Harry's "I love her to bits" was to try to calm things down and make it been known he had 0 problems with Camilla at a time where she was still a very controversial figure ... Cam has been around Harry since he was 13/14 in no way shape or form a "grown up" and has been around more than Di has so maybe when he says something about a person who has been there all his life we should believe him  :shrug: ...

I think more likely Dad suggested Harry speak up for his stepmother and play happy families. I would be very surprised if Harry had done this without his father's suggesting it.

Camilla had nothing to do with raising Harry. Nothing. Harry was in school, he spent more time with Tiggy than Camilla (whom he looked to for comfort) and it was no Brady Bunch Scenario. Charles was busy doing PR for Camilla--Harry even started drinking at Highgrove while his father was away in Scotland with Camilla.

cinrit

It really doesn't matter if someone raised you or not.  If you like that person, you like that person, even if it's a step-parent.  It doesn't mean that you stop loving your biological parent, or that you forget them.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

I don't think William and Harry are all that close to Camilla. It was very telling that William spent and spends a lot of time with his in-laws. I think he is much closer to them.

cinrit

He possibly does like his in-laws better than he likes Camilla.  That doesn't say anything except he likes them better.  Also, take into consideration that Charles and Camilla are often on the run, on engagements, traveling ... so naturally, he's not going to see them as often as he sees the Middletons.

Cindy

sandy

I think he still likes the Middletons better no matter how much Camilla is away.

cinrit

Camilla being away doesn't have anything to do with how much or how little William likes her.  I was referring to how often William gets to spend time with Charles and Camilla, not how much he likes her.  He probably likes Camilla well enough and gets along with her.  That's fine, and that's enough.

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 01:45:05 PM
It really doesn't matter if someone raised you or not.  If you like that person, you like that person, even if it's a step-parent.  It doesn't mean that you stop loving your biological parent, or that you forget them.

Cindy
However accepting Harry and William may be of Camilla, they do not love her, IMO.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 01:55:24 PM
He probably likes Camilla well enough and gets along with her.  That's fine, and that's enough.

Cindy

I agree with that 100%.  I think he's on perfectly good terms with Camilla, and it's not really necessary he be anything more.

amabel

Quote from: Limabeany on July 10, 2014, 01:55:56 PM

Cindy
However accepting Harry and William may be of Camilla, they do not love her, IMO.
well since harry says he loves her to bits, then he must be lying

sandy

A person can say love ya as a throwaway line. He has not said anything before that or after that. He mostly talks about his late Mum and his father. I don't think it's a lovefest with Camilla.

TLLK

Quote from: amabel on July 10, 2014, 02:38:29 PM
Quote from: Limabeany on July 10, 2014, 01:55:56 PM

Cindy
well since harry says he loves her to bits, then he must be lying
IMHO the only person who really knows how he feels about Camilla is Harry. I'm sure he's held a very wide range of opinions on her over the years. If he claims to love her then I can accept that he does.

sandy

In high school yearbooks, friends sign "love" which does not necessarily equate "love" in every sense of the term.  And people can tell casual friends "love ya."

It speaks volumes that in the 9 years that Camilla has been his stepmother, he has only made such a statement once. He speaks many times of his brother, father, sister in law, and deceased mother.

He was being polite. I don't think that  it is a lovefest with Camilla.

Charles and William came to pick him up when he returned from Afghanistan. Camilla did not go with his father and brother. I think they are cordial and friendly but a love fest I don't think so.

It is hard to imagine that Harry would be devoted to someone who hurt his mother. I think he accepted her for his father's sake.

Macrobug

Heavens.  Are we really debating if someone luvs someone or loves them?  Or loveloveloves them?   As TLLK says, I am going to take what Harry said at face value.  Because really, what does it matter?
GNU Terry Pratchett

Canuck

sandy

I don't think Harry loves Camilla. He is polite and cordial to her and is friendly to her at family events. He loves his father and accepted her for his father's sake.  If it had not been for his father wanting to marry her I doubt he'd have given her the time of day. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Canuck

I don't really think anyone disagrees with that by much.  He's polite and friendly to her, he accepted her for his father's sake, and of course if she wasn't with Charles he wouldn't ever see her or interact with her. 

cinrit

Here's the conundrum ... Camilla made Diana unhappy.  But she made Charles happy.  I'm sure William and Harry had a difficult time working that out in their minds since they surely love their mother and their father equally.  By this time, it seems that everything's settled down, and they seem to be a happy and close family. 

Cindy

sandy

Well they did accept Camilla for their father's sake.  I think they are a close family with their father and accept his second wife.  But it's no Brady bunch and Will and Harry have places of their own. She did not raise them. It does speak volumes though that William and Kate shared the news about her expecting a baby with her parents before Camila knew and even Charles knew.

Camilla is not a "replacement" for their mother so she cannot be plugged into the close family unit they once had with their parents. She is their father's wife and they are friendly but also she has her own family that she sees at her own establishment, Raymill.

And I doubt they had any choice but to accept Camilla. They did not want any family tensions because their father would be angry and resentful if they did not accept her. But the caveat is that since she made their mother unhappy they are not really as close to her as they were to Diana and are to Charles and it is no big lovefest.

TLLK

Quote from: cinrit on July 10, 2014, 03:34:59 PM
Here's the conundrum ... Camilla made Diana unhappy.  But she made Charles happy.  I'm sure William and Harry had a difficult time working that out in their minds since they surely love their mother and their father equally.  By this time, it seems that everything's settled down, and they seem to be a happy and close family. 

Cindy
A reasonable scenario and one that many blended families have likely faced before.

SophieChloe

He is meant to be the future King, not John Smith from no. 34 Arcadia Avenue. 

Charles and Camilla shoud not have carried on with each other in the first place.  What they both did to Diana was disgusting.   
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Canuck

No, they shouldn't have had an affair.  But it's now almost 20 years since Diana and Charles divorced, and Charles and Camilla have been married for 9 years.  I think they, Will and Harry, and everyone else are entitled to move on at some point.