Diana insisted her sons shouldn't be closeted away

Started by LouisFerdinand, November 20, 2015, 10:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

edweena

She wasnt so much pioneer as she tried to portrait herself. She loved perks and tried to be rebel against establishment like her son, with one positive thing she was hard working. The generation of her husband was actually sent to the schools, no other way round. If you don't want to be a part of RF including their values and rules, it is OK, they dont need you, so move on other catch, otherwise obey and respect and accept. It means even Niko as Pippa's boyfriend sealed his social accounts, but I believe any princess dating some lothario with IN full of explicit photos, scandals is blessing for tabloids. If any of MIC etc have problem with royal set of rules, sealed publicity or requests, work or woman as queen or home school, etiquette, don't try and lick stamps with royals on instead. They don't need you.

dianab

William & Harry went to nursery school and pre-preparatory school while Charles & his siblings were 'home schooled on the Palace grounds' (didnt meet other kids) until being aged enough to attend to boarding schools. I remember Charles wanted the boys being home schooled by his nanny Mabel, but Diana was against. After the divorce, Charles also wanted William having a valet but Diana - again - vehemently was against his idea.

She dont wanted her sons growing up in a isolated environment like Charles. In this way, she was, yes, a pioneer.

amabel

there was nothing particularly pioneering about the boys education.  Charles and Anne were taught at home, but that was in the 50s, and both went to boarding school.  Will and H went to nursery school, in London, which was more or less what would be expected for them in the 1980s.

Curryong

^ Charles didn't go to nursery school, but he did go to Hill House School in West London, only a few minutes from BP, in 1956. That was for a year before he went to Cheam. The Queen, PP and Anne turned up to the school sports day.

I think nanny Mabel just taught Charles his numbers and ABC and encouraged him to read. I thought Charles wanted his old nanny Mabel just as a nanny to baby William but Diana wanted a younger more modern person. I don't think Charles intended that his boys be home-schooled, though.

I don't think there were upper class nursery schools in London in the early 1950's that Charles could have attended. Diana had experience of nursery schools because of course she'd worked in one. She didn't attend one herself and she had nannies. It was and is just the way these children are brought up.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 21, 2015, 10:17:27 PM
^ Charles didn't go to nursery school, but he did go to Hill House School in West London, only a few minutes from BP, in 1956. That was for a year before he went to Cheam. The Queen, PP and Anne turned up to the school sports day.

I think nanny Mabel just taught Charles his numbers and ABC and encouraged him to read. I thought Charles wanted his old nanny Mabel just as a nanny to baby William but Diana wanted a younger more modern person. I don't think Charles intended that his boys be home-schooled, though.

I don't think there were upper class nursery schools in London in the early 1950's that Charles could have attended. Diana had experience of nursery schools because of course she'd worked in one. She didn't attend one herself and she had nannies. It was and is just the way these children are brought up.
Good points @Curryong and also in post-war Britain it would have been difficult to find this type of situation when the nation had to focus on rebuilding primary/secondary schools for the population. By the time Diana, Andrew, Edward, Sarah Ferguson etc.. were attending school, the country was in a different place. I've read that Frances did want to enroll Charles in a nursery school but the divorce put an end to that idea.  Having William, Harry etc.. attending nursery school gave them an opportunity to mix with children their own age, learn and listen to other adults in charge and prepared them for primary school.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on November 21, 2015, 10:17:27 PM
^ Charles didn't go to nursery school, but he did go to Hill House School in West London, only a few minutes from BP, in 1956. I think nanny Mabel just taught Charles his numbers and ABC and encouraged him to read. I thought Charles wanted his old nanny Mabel just as a nanny to baby William but Diana wanted a younger more modern person. I don't think Charles intended that his boys be home-schooled, though.

I
I think he had a governess for a time as a child, I doubt if his early education was left to his nanny.  And yes Di did want a younger more informal kind of nanny (though she did in the end as I recall get rid of Barbara Barnes).  Charles wanted his own old nanny.  but it was never intended that the boys would be "home schooled".  that's absolute nonsense.. It was always on the cards that they would go to school near home as small kids, and then to a boarding school when they were a bit older.   IN Charles day upper class children usually had their earliest schooling from a governess and then went to school later.  But by the 1980s that had changed and there were plenty of kindergartens and nursery schools and it was always likely that that was where Will and H would go for their earliest training.  There was nothing particularly pioneering about what Di wanted for the boys, it was goig to happen anyway.

TLLK

AFAIK nearly all of the royal children around the world are educated in state run or private schools these days. However I do understand that the young Moroccan royals are educated in their palaces with a small class of peers. So the days of educating royals in a palace with just a tutor like QEII and Princess Margaret do appear to be over.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on November 22, 2015, 12:29:53 AM
AFAIK nearly all of the royal children around the world are educated in state run or private schools these days. However I do understand that the young Moroccan royals are educated in their palaces with a small class of peers. So
Of course, it is just a natural progression that as times change the RF changes with them, but more slowly than in the rest of the world.  I dotn believe that Diana was particularly progressive, in terms of the children except she wanted to look after them more herself.

FanDianaFancy

Here we  go again. An we  will continue to go gain and again.
I  just  cannot wait  for the tread, PD  really did  not  give birth  to her boys. 
YES, PC  experience  growing up  was different than what  PD wanted for her sons.  PC  was son  of  QEII and PP and  it  was  a  different world, and different  BRF and  times.
I  think PD  can be  and  is given credit  for  wanting her  very young kids  to  be  more  with her, although they  had  nanny. She  wanted to  be  dominate force, MOTHER, in her sons  ' lives and she was.
She  also wanted to  "see" the  real world  , out  of their bubble, see their  subjects, see what  was  happening and not  be  read  to  about  things  or  told. Ex. Trips to  help out  unfortunate . Yes, fun , different vacations.