Lady Louise and The Earl of Wessex (James) News and Chat

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 18, 2014, 01:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

A thread for news and discussion for Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor and The Earl of Wessex (James) [/color]

Titles for the Children of the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh| Royal Insight

QuoteAs it is widely known, Royal Proclamations are done through Orders-in-Council and Letters Patent, and given neither legal instruments have been used in regards to the styles and titles of any of the children of the Earl and Countess of Wessex, we can with great confidence say the style of 'Royal Highness' and title of 'Princes' do legally apply to James and Louise of Wessex.

This is therefore legally binding through the Letters Patent issued by King George V in 1917 which states the grandchildren of the Sovereign through the male-line "shall have and at all times hold and enjoy the style title or attribute of Royal Highness with their titular dignity of Prince or Princess prefixed to their respective Christian names"

The children may be currently known and unofficially styled and titled as children of an Earl, but in legal terms, and a style and title which they can use at any moment is the following:

His Royal Highness Prince James of Wessex
    Her Royal Highness Princess Louise of Wessex

I'm confused as to the wording of this article. Royal styles and titles are a matter of royal prerogative. The Queen can change royal styles and titles as she pleases.

"This is therefore legally binding through the Letters Patent issued by King George V in 1917" -- The Sovereign can't be legally bound especially not by his or herself. The Letters Patent of 1917 were issued without ministerial advice because the style of royal highness and the title of prince or princess conveys no legal rights unlike a Peer of the Realm.  HRH Prince Harry of Wales has no more legal rights than Peter Philips.

To say Louise is legally a princess doesn't mean anything material. A person is either a princess or not but no one has a legal right to the title. Its use is strictly a courtesy of the Sovereign.

I am no expert and obviously Windsor has much more knowledge in this matter than I do so can I ask for clarification on what it means to be 'legally' a prince or princess in the United Kingdom when the title carries no legal rights with it?

Trudie

There is nothing confusing about it. HRH The Prince Edward Earl of Wessex is a male and the son of a sovereign therefore his son and daughter are entitled to be HRH Prince and Princess under the letters patent of 1917 as HM's Kent cousins are the children of HRH The Prince George Duke of Kent his children the Present Duke of Kent Prince Edward, Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael. The only grandchildren of no entitled to the style were the children of the two Princess Royal's Mary and Anne as they are female.

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

sara8150

Very impressive

I'm hope Louise and James get titles from grandma because Prince Edward is son of queen

I don't know Louise and James get titles looks like we have wait and see to find out

Trudie

They don't need to get their titles from The Queen under the letters patent and proclamation of 1917 those are their titles. The Queen decides other titles i.e Dukedoms, peerages and titles of those who marry into the family upon marriage and divorce. Louise and James are blood royals and that cannot be taken away.

PrincessOfPeace

^^^ You better have a look at the impact of the 1917 Letters Patent. 14 'blood royals' and three by marriage lost their royal status.

The Sovereign can change royal styles and titles at anytime and for any reason, no questions asked.

Double post auto-merged: April 19, 2014, 09:23:36 PM

The Tecks, The Battenbergs and The Gleichens all came out on the wrong end in 1917. Royal one day and then not.

amabel

That was an exceptional situation. They were actually German royals, who were living in Britain and the Sovereign chose for what were good reasons at the time, not to give them British fully royal status but to give them aristocratic titles.  In very unusual or exceptional  circumstances she could strip Edward's children of their Prince and Princess status but its not at all likely that it would happen.

LouisFerdinand

Louise has been Lady Louise for years. If she was to suddenly become Princess Louise, would it not be confusing for her? 
James has been Viscount Severn for years. If he was to suddenly become Prince James, would it not be confusing for him?   

:xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7:

Curryong

As both Louise and James have to CHOOSE to become HRHs, and then only after they reach the age of 18, (which Louise now is) I don?t see why it would be confusing. In spite of all the media talk since Sophie?s interview, where the Wessex children?s titles were mentioned, I have serious doubts that either will choose to become Princess/Prince.

Such stylings would be of no advantage in the modern world, and, as their mother has made it clear that both have been brought up to have a career in mind in adulthood, it could well be a serious disadvantage. And in spite of the recent twitterings of a couple of elderly commentators in the Press, there?s no sign whatsoever that BP is barracking for Lady Louise to be put on the royal payroll any time soon. IMO Louise (and James) are headed for University and then a career of their choice.

Amabel2

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 09, 2021, 08:21:20 PM
Louise has been Lady Louise for years. If she was to suddenly become Princess Louise, would it not be confusing for her? 
James has been Viscount Severn for years. If he was to suddenly become Prince James, would it not be confusing for him?   

:xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7: :xmas7:
why would they be confused?

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: Amabel2 on December 10, 2021, 10:19:53 AM
why would they be confused?
Louise and James have had their respective titles for years. It might take awhile to get use to a newer title.
:xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16:

TudorQueen

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on December 11, 2021, 12:38:04 AM

Louise and James have had their respective titles for years. It might take awhile to get use to a newer title.
:xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16: :xmas16:

Easier then someone marrying into the family and gaining a title.

They are more then aware about the titles and so on, it won't be confusing or a shock to them. Really the titles mean little to the actual royals until they are adults. Even if Louise had been Princess Louise from birth the title would have had no relevance to her.

TLLK

Macrobug67

Louise is off to St Andrews Uni to study English.   Well done! :thumbsup:

( wasn?t she a little cute kid in Catherine and Williams wedding party like, just yesterday?)

wannable

Rebecca English
@RE_DailyMail

News on Lady Louise 📚 A Buckingham Palace spokesperson says:
Having received her A Level results today, Lady Louise will start at St Andrews University in September to study English.
I'm sure the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will be giving her some tips!

TLLK

:princessgrace:   Congratulations to Lady Louise on her acceptance to St. Andrews University! I hope that she enjoys the experience as much as her cousin and his wife did.

PrincessOfPeace

LouisFerdinand

Will the press compare Lady Louise's academic experiences to her cousin Prince William?

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand -They'll likely compare it to both William and Catherine's experiences especially if Louise ends up in the same residence hall they did. Now as an English major, she's not studying the same subject matter but she has an opportunity to join various clubs while there much like they did.

TLLK

Louise had a summer job working at a local garden center this summer. A great opportunity to learn about time management, responsibility, organization and work habits.  :high5:

Queen's granddaughter Lady Louise Windsor, 18, earns ?6.83 working summer job at a garden centre | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on August 18, 2022, 10:33:14 PM
Will the press compare Lady Louise's academic experiences to her cousin Prince William?

I hope not but I?m not holding my breath in that regard, knowing the London tabloids! I hope Louise has a wonderful time at a great University and enjoys a unique experience there without being tormented by journalists and photographers. She may see some at the beginning, but actually once the initial excitement has died down I hope she?ll be left alone (unless she gets a boyfriend in which case all bets are off!) She?s not a senior royal and most of the time Lady Louise is photographed now is when she is with her family and other royals.

TLLK

@Curryong -Hoping that Louise will be given the same privacy that her cousin did when he was at St. Andrews. I believe that we'll see some initial photos, but hopefully her classmates will just respect her privacy like they would any other student there.

Nightowl

How wonderful for Lady Louise, I remember when she was born, ages ago. I really hope the media leaves her alone yet not holding my breath that they will.  From all the articles, pictures and info, Lady Louise seems like such a sweet young lady with a good understanding of the royal family and the media.  Hoping she has a great future and time to make her choices in  what her life will be.