Rurik dynasty

Started by LouisFerdinand, January 21, 2018, 09:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

The Rurik dynasty was begun by the Varangian prince Rurik (830-879). Rurik dynasty monarchs ruled Kievan Rus and later the Grand Duchy of Moscow. Some Rurik monarchs became Tsars of Russia.

LouisFerdinand

Yaroslav I, Grand Prince of Rus, was known as Yaroslav the Wise. He was Grand Prince of Kiev and Novgorod. He reigned 1019 to 1054.

LouisFerdinand

Vladimir I (reigned 980-1015) compiled the first Kievan Rus law and introduced Christianity into the country.   

LouisFerdinand

Izaslav I reigned from 1054 to 1068. He was baptized originally as Demetrius.     
The Life And Death Of Iziaslav I of Kiev - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

The testament of Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise in 1054     
The Testament of Grand prince Yaroslav the Wise. 1054 (From "Illustrated Karamzin"). Museum: Russian State Library, Moscow Stock Photo: 212333446 -   

:snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

LouisFerdinand

Grand Prince Vladimir of Kiev married Emperor Basil II's sister Anna. Returning to Kiev, Vladimir destroyed pagan monuments. He established many churches, starting with a church dedicated to St. Basil and the Church of the Tithes.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Sviatoslav II Yaroslavich (1027-1077) was Grand Prince of Kiev between 1073 and 1077. He was born as a younger son of Grand Prince Yaroslav the Wise. His baptismal name was Nicholas.   

:xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19: :xmas19:

LouisFerdinand

Vsevolod Olgovich (died 1146) was the Prince of Chernigov (1127-1139) and Grand Prince of Kiev (1139-1146). Though he had two son's, Vsevolod's chosen successor was his brother Igor. He obtained pledges from his subjects to accept Igor as his heir.