Royal Love Train story

Started by LouisFerdinand, January 15, 2018, 10:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

In 1980 while Lady Diana was still at Sandringham the Sunday Mirror printed a story that on November 5 Diana had gone into the royal train as it stood in a Wiltshire siding to spend the night with Prince Charles. That night, with Charles, Lady Diana had attended a party for Princess Margaret at the Ritz. Diana was photographed arriving there. She went home to Coherne Court at about 1 A.M. Who was the mystery woman?   
:stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars: :stars:

Kritter

The rottweiler Camilla.   :laugh10:

Curryong

Royal biographers have always been a bit divided about the 'woman in the train' but on the balance of probabilities I think it was more likely to have been Camilla than not.

TLLK

@Curryong-I actually believe that it was neither Diana or Camilla but that it was another curvaceous blonde. You might recognize her from her hit show that aired in the mid 70's and into the early 80's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/662349173467975680/UxlUTQL0.jpg

Kritter

I guess that means Charles likes his women to look like a horse or a pig.   :teehee:

Trudie

I had read in a biography on the monarchy I believe the book title was Buckingham Babylon that John Barrett Lord Mountbatten's private secretary stated the woman was Camilla. Charles may have confided in Norton Romsey and possibly overheard by Barrett as at the time they were still settling Mountbatten's estate.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Great question @LouisFerdinand it was one of the highlights of the courtship, as I recall there was some damage control done as it could have been one of those things that could derail things.

I found it funny to see the final picture, as we see C&C on the train, not from that night, of course.
Inside the royal train | Tatler Magazine
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Would Kermit have been jealous if that was the case, TLLK, or just extremely relieved? I think that particular blonde was just too much for the poor frog and he is much happier with his newish PR girlfriend. So glad that they have both moved on, in fact, and I'm sure that both the POW and the lady herself have fond memories of that night of bliss in the Royal train. She has certainly kept her mouth closed about that particular tryst for nearly forty years!

Duch_Luver_4ever

Might be a different story if smartphones were around then, likely someone would have got a snap or two....it would have scotched the marriage likely, and the search for another British virgin of proper birth would be long indeed.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Yes, if it was Camilla then there would have been the most enormous scandal, the PB divorce would probably have occurred in 1981, and Charles might well have remained a bachelor until his mid thirties, with an even wider age gap between himself and any potential brides.

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on January 16, 2018, 01:26:41 AM
Would Kermit have been jealous if that was the case, TLLK, or just extremely relieved? I think that particular blonde was just too much for the poor frog and he is much happier with his newish PR girlfriend. So glad that they have both moved on, in fact, and I'm sure that both the POW and the lady herself have fond memories of that night of bliss in the Royal train. She has certainly kept her mouth closed about that particular tryst for nearly forty years!
Honestly I believe that Kermit was just relieved because Miss Piggy was just too much  for him! :D

Duch_Luver_4ever

Agreed @Curryong whoever it would have ended up being as far as the blonde woman, it would have been a disaster for both Diana and Camilla, and of course Charles, pretty much reduced to hanging around posh high schools waiting for some suitable girl to graduate.

Although I think if there had been a big bust up over it, the palace might have had to relax the "rules" about royal brides, as they did in 86 with Fergie.

sandy

Camilla--the media knew.

Charles did not wait for Diana to appear. He was very serious about Davina Sheffield and the tabs were projecting her as a bride for Charles. She even looked like Diana but closer in age to Charles. It all ended when her ex boyfriend went to the media and said they lived together. She is now happily married (not to the man who went to media).

Charles was besotted with Anna Wallace who did not put up with his dancing the night away with Camilla. She dumped him although he was said to want her back.

I think if Charles and Diana had broken up, he would still have looked for the girl with no past. Camilla was not an option since she'd have had to divorce her husband.

http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,948114-5,00.html

LouisFerdinand

If the lady in question had been Diana, it seriously could have put a delay or possibly an end to the Royal Wedding. It also could have put a sour note on Diana's family, The Spencers.

TLLK

^^^IMHO had the lady in question been Diana visiting her fiancee Charles for an overnight visit on the Royal Train would not have postponed or ended the wedding. It would have caused some red faces for the couple and their families, but this was 1981, not 1881 or even 1961.

Now Diana visiting another man who was not her fiancee for an overnight visit would have definitely been cause for a postponement or ending the engagement.

Kritter

I have read that Diana was confused at the time about the Blonde because she knew it was not her. Camilla forced herself in at every level of the courtship & marriage.

sandy

Quote from: TLLK on January 16, 2018, 09:00:28 PM
^^^IMHO had the lady in question been Diana visiting her fiancee Charles for an overnight visit on the Royal Train would not have postponed or ended the wedding. It would have caused some red faces for the couple and their families, but this was 1981, not 1881 or even 1961.

Now Diana visiting another man who was not her fiancee for an overnight visit would have definitely been cause for a postponement or ending the engagement.

Diana was not even engaged to Charles. She was very cautious and would not have slept with Charles who could have decided not to propose after all.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I do think if pre engagement, if Diana had been caught with Charles with such a deal made of her virtue, even her uncle waded in to confirm it (given what todays climate is like, he'd have been looked at much differently if he did that today LOL) that I do think Charles would have had to let her go, remember at that time previous girls were dropped for the flimsiest of reasons, esp given how he felt forced to marry her, I think he'd have taken that way out.

Curryong

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on January 16, 2018, 02:38:34 PM
Agreed @Curryong whoever it would have ended up being as far as the blonde woman, it would have been a disaster for both Diana and Camilla, and of course Charles, pretty much reduced to hanging around posh high schools waiting for some suitable girl to graduate.

Although I think if there had been a big bust up over it, the palace might have had to relax the "rules" about royal brides, as they did in 86 with Fergie.

Yes, but Fergie had priors, so to speak, too many people in London and in the set around Paddy McNally knew that she wasn't exactly a blushing bride, and quite a few of them could have come out and said so.

Diana, on the other hand, was very young and was known to have 'kept herself tidy'. The tabloids could very well have turned nasty if it had turned out she was on the Royal train (I don't believe she was) and have written stories along the lines of seduction by a practised older womaniser (Charles) on an innocent lambkin. That could have turned into a nightmare for the palace, even if everything was hosed down quickly.

Years later, when the marriage ended Charles's reputation would have been even more in the toilet than it was already, as he'd seduced this young girl before their marriage (cue for Royal train stories) and then brought his mistress into it. That would have seemed incredibly sordid.

Charles wouldn't have been able to dump Diana before marriage if she had been the woman on the train, even if it was done gently. His age and sexual experience would have again been held against him for deflowering a young virgin he 'lured' on to his train. British Public opinion wouldn't have stood for it.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I agree @Curryong , Charles would have come off badly if it had been Diana on the train (ugh, makes me think of all those fights with Queencamilla at TRF over this subject LOL) for taking advantage, but also sadly the women also bore a huge brunt for any indiscretions. Now where the indescretion would have been with Charles it might have been different as the usual MO of women being dropped after such events with other men coming to light.

It overall would have been a "hot mess" as either Diana would have got the blame, unfairly for not safeguarding her virtue, and/or Charles would have got loads for being a letch, and like PP's letter, hed have ruined her reputation, and might have been forced to marry her, as she would have been "damaged goods" so to speak.

I think a lot would have mattered on the circumstances, and what the grey suits thought they could get away with to safeguard the Rf reputation and wouldnt have thought twice about throwing Diana under the bus if it helped matters.