Author Topic: Duchess of Cambridge - Fashion & Style - Part 6  (Read 17054 times)

Offline Limabeany

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: Princess Leia
Re: Duchess of Cambridge - Fashion & Style - Part 6
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 12:40:27 AM »
Her terms should be work-related not unofficial and private events and outings.
“You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female’.” Diana Vreeland.

Offline Lady Adams

• RIF Veteran
  • Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: Crown Princesses Mette Marit & Victoria
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 11:58:14 AM »
@TLLK, what'd you think of her dress? I'm like Erdem usually, but both of the modified dresses for pregnancy Kate has worn felt....  :nocomment:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Offline TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »
Love the print but hadn't realized it was not designed for maternity. I'm surprised the front hem wasn't riding up higher.

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    4%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Love the print but hadn't realized it was not designed for maternity. I'm surprised the front hem wasn't riding up higher.
I don't think It is a very attractive dress

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 01:37:21 PM »
The dress was ugly as is most of what Kate wears. One really has to stretch it to call her a fashion icon.   :lol:

It looks ridiculous IMO for a pregnant woman to wear clothing made for a woman who is not pregnant.
“Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too”      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Offline Canuck

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen, Will and Kate, Harry
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »

I think it was a maternity dress, actually -- the original wasn't, but Erdem did a maternity version for Yahoo's CEO and I think must have done so here (if she had just sized up the whole thing to fit a non-maternity version, it would be much bigger in the shoulders and arms than this one looks to be).  There was some speculation on WKW that this was made during her first pregnancy (since it's a 2013 dress) and we just didn't see it publicly until now.  I think the fit is a little awkward around the bust, but that's probably just because she's carrying a little differently this time and/or is a little further along.  Bodies change so quickly in pregnancy, something that fits one day can be a bit off by the next!

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2015, 12:47:53 AM »
Maternity wear looks like maternity wear to make room for the every increasing body changes.
“Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too”      Voltaire

Offline Canuck

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 12:58:54 AM »
Of course, but maternity wear isn't (or at least isn't usually) one size fits all, unless you're just wearing those giant tent dresses from decades ago.  Something that fits one week can be tight the next week, or something that fit in the third trimester of one pregnancy can be a little off with a later pregnancy that carries differently.  Sometimes the baby's position shifts over the course of a day and something you put on in the morning is suddenly pulling weird! 

It's clear this dress isn't sitting quite right on Kate in these pictures, but I'd say it's also pretty clear it was designed to be worn while pregnant.  Otherwise something that snug up top would never have fit over her stomach at all (and even if it had, as TLLK said, the front hem would be riding a lot higher than the back hem if it was non-maternity wear).

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 01:00:23 AM »
Kate does not get HUGE in pregnancy.   :shrug:

Offline tiaras

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 01:27:17 AM »
Wait a second that was maternity wear ? I though she just brought a bigger size of some designer label like she usually does  :teehee: it was a cute dress, really nice pattern.

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:22 AM »
^ It was just a dress that she can have taken in and let out. No maternity wear for her.   :no:  It might make her look pregnant.   :lol:

Offline Canuck

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:05 AM »
Wait a second that was maternity wear ? I though she just brought a bigger size of some designer label like she usually does  :teehee: it was a cute dress, really nice pattern.

The original dress was not, but I think it's very likely this was a modified version for Kate (the original also had a back cut-out which seems to have been eliminated).  You can see in the pictures that it fits perfectly in the arms and shoulders, which it wouldn't if she had simply gone up a couple of sizes to accommodate her bump. 

Offline Macrobug

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Blah blah blah blah
    • Favorite royal: Me! The Marchioness of the Sugar Bush, G.O.M.L.
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2015, 01:49:07 AM »
It is an empire style but it likely was made to prder to be used as maternity wear.  The hem is even.  Lovely pattern.  I really like Erdem.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2015, 02:43:27 AM »
 :hmm:  Perfect Kate is a fashion icon.   :lol:

Offline TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2015, 02:57:07 AM »
I think it was maternity because the hemline was not riding up in the front.(Dead give away because maternity tops and dresses drop down a bit in the front to accommodate an expanding waistline.)  Maternity wear has come a long way from the tents worn decades ago. Even when I was pregnant in the early 2000's the shapes were becoming more streamlined.

Offline Lady Adams

• RIF Veteran
  • Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: Crown Princesses Mette Marit & Victoria
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 03:25:59 AM »
According to What Kate Wore, it isn't a maternity dress, but rather a 2013 style adapted as maternity wear for Kate:
Kate in Purple & Pink Floral Frock by Erdem for Goring Hotel Celebration » What Kate Wore

Yahoo!'s Melissa Mayer wore another version of it when she was pregnant, although Erdem doesn't traditional make maternity clothes: Instagram
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Offline snokitty

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
And how does all the hype of wearing a dress instead of maternity wear make a woman who looks pregnant feel.

IMO she should just wear maternity clothes when she is pregnant,  that is what they are designed for.

Maybe Charles is cutting off the money supply.   :happycry:

Offline TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 10:17:11 PM »
According to What Kate Wore, it isn't a maternity dress, but rather a 2013 style adapted as maternity wear for Kate:
Kate in Purple & Pink Floral Frock by Erdem for Goring Hotel Celebration » What Kate Wore

Yahoo!'s Melissa Mayer wore another version of it when she was pregnant, although Erdem doesn't traditional make maternity clothes: Instagram
Right I'd read that on another site that it had been adapted to her requests which also appears to have included closing in the original backless look.  If Erdem receives more requests they might consider branching into that market. :)

Offline HereditaryPrincess

• Her Illustrious Highness
  • Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 21st April: Birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth II
    • Favorite royal: Elizabeth II, Maxima, Victoria, Mathilde
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »
I actually kind of liked the dress Kate wore during the visit to The Goring - I thought the colours suited her.

Offline TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 09:19:27 PM »
@HereditaryPrincess-Is the pink coat worn today at the Commonwealth service a repeat from 2013?

Offline Macrobug

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Blah blah blah blah
    • Favorite royal: Me! The Marchioness of the Sugar Bush, G.O.M.L.
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 09:37:08 PM »
Yep.  Her besoke McQueen first worn at Trooping of The Colours in 2013
GNU Terry Pratchett

Offline HereditaryPrincess

• Her Illustrious Highness
  • Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 21st April: Birthday of HM Queen Elizabeth II
    • Favorite royal: Elizabeth II, Maxima, Victoria, Mathilde
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2015, 11:14:04 PM »
And here is a photo of the outfit for reference :):

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kate+Middleton+Commonwealth+Service+Westminster+P6aC79EKvGbl.jpg

The colour looks great on Kate and I like her hair, but the whole outfit appears to be rather matronly. I can easily imagine Camilla in the coat and Anne in the hat.

Offline Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    68%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2015, 04:38:16 AM »
And here is a photo of the outfit for reference :):

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Kate+Middleton+Commonwealth+Service+Westminster+P6aC79EKvGbl.jpg

The colour looks great on Kate and I like her hair, but the whole outfit appears to be rather matronly. I can easily imagine Camilla in the coat and Anne in the hat.

Perhaps Kate borrowed the hat from Anne? One of those in her wardrobe since 1978? :wink:

Offline TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:25 AM »
^^^Absolutely!! All hail the REAL queen of recycling...The Princess Royal. Who else would show up in the complete ensemble worn to the PoW and Lady Diana's wedding in 1981 to the wedding of one of the Gloucester daughters? :D

Offline PaulaB

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    0%
    • Favorite royal: William AND Harry
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 07:38:58 PM »
And how does all the hype of wearing a dress instead of maternity wear make a woman who looks pregnant feel.

IMO she should just wear maternity clothes when she is pregnant,  that is what they are designed for.

Maybe Charles is cutting off the money supply.   :happycry:

Why buy new when she has already got dresses suitable?

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites