King William IV
King William IV
Statue of King William IV, located in Göttingen, Germany

Queen Victoria, Reigned 1837-1901

Queen Victoria
Queen Victoria in her Coronation Robes
Her Majesty, the Queen
A Statue of the Queen in Bristol, Enland
Queen Victoria holding Edward VIII, flanked by King Edward VII and King George V ~Courtesy of EEWC

The House of Windsor, previously the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

King Edward VII, Reigned 1901-1910

King Edward VII
King Edward VII, flanked by future King George V, Edward VIII ~Courtesy of EEWC

King George V, Reigned 1910-1936

King George V
King George and Queen Mary, dressed for the opening of Parliament
Statue of King George V, outside Westminster Abbey

King Edward VIII, Reigned 1936

King Edward VIII
Edward VIII ~Courtesy of EEWC
Edward VIII with the Princess of Wales ~Courtesy of EEWC

King George VI, Reigned 1936-1952

George VI
George VI, as Duke of York
George VI, With President Franklin D. Roosevelt, 1939
Statue of George VI, at Carlton House Terrace, London

Queen Elizabeth II, Current Monarch

Photo and Information thread for Queen Elizabeth II
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Jenee

The Spanish Monarchy

King Alfonso XII, Reigned 1875-1885

Alfonso XII
Monument to Alfonso XII,in Parque del Retiro, Madrid

King Alfonso XIII, Reigned 1886-1931

Alfonso XIII
Alfonso XIII, sculpted by Jose Navas-Parejo

Juan de Borbón, Count of Barcelona- Never Ruled

Juan de Borbón

King Juan Carlos I, Current King of Spain

King Juan Carlos I
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Curryong

Marie was the wife of the blind King of Hanover, the son of Scarface, the Duke of Cumberland who had a rather sinister reputation.
Her younger daughter Marie Jnr (to the right of the photo) was born in 1849 and died in her fifties. She never married, though she reputedly twice turned down Queen Victoria's third son, Arthur Duke of Connaught. She and her mother lived together in Paris and Austria. I've often wondered why Marie never married.

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, When did Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught propose to Princess Frederica?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on June 03, 2018, 12:00:54 AM
@Curryong, When did Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught propose to Princess Frederica?

Frederika married. Her sister Marie or Mary, never did. This is the sad tale of the unsuccessful pursuit of the young Duke of Connaught and the (slightly older) Marie of Hanover! It's quite interesting, I think, as hardly anything is ever written about Arthur in comparison to several of his siblings.

Royal Musings: Hanover vignettes

The author of the above, Marlene Koenig, has written several books on 19th century royalty. She has a blog 'Royal Musings' and a Twitter Page.

amabel

Tehre is a giant bio of Arthur D of Connaugth, written I think by Noble Frankland, who was a consultant on the series about WWII.. I suppose it was largely about his military life.  I didn't know he proposed ot Marie of Hanover.  Presumably Marie preferred a single life, or didn't care for Arthur.  Perhaps she didn't wnat to marry a younger son or a British royal?  Art  seems to have been a decent enough man, and to have had a reasonably happy marriage wht Louise of Prussia....
Mm having now read that blog, it seems like Marie 'just wasn't into Arthur" and didn't want to marry unless she had some warm feelings for a man....

Curryong

Yes, I think you and I have discussed the Noble Frankland book before on another forum. I think Arthur was probably a decent man, a little dull perhaps, and probably quite wrapped up in his army career, which Louise, coming from a Prussian military background probably adjusted to better than Marie would have done.

Even in those days a few mutual interests would have helped a romance along, but obviously Marie and Arthur didn't have too much in common. Perhaps she wanted something a bit more intellectual, or she wasn't physically attracted. These things just can't be faked.

I was quite amused by Queen Victoria's and the Duchess of Teck's reactions to her refusal; 'idiot girl', idiot family' 'How could she have refused him?' 'Why didn't he propose to Lily (Marie's sister) instead?' It truly was a marriage market in those days and Queen Victoria was balked very little in her matchmaking, really.

Still, Marie was one of those that got away. Although she died at only 54 she seems to have been reasonably content in her singledom, living quietly with her mother. Rather intriguing about the 'little affair with a man she couldn't marry' though!

amabel

I remember the Noble F book because many years ago, I worked in a big bookshop and it was just published.  But Ive never read it.  I gather Arthtur was a decent enough bloke but I think that it sounds like Marie really wanted something like love and affection.. whereas many princesses woud have been glad to get married.  I think that some German princesses probably thought that by their standards the BRF wasn't grand enough, or was too democratic.. but it seems like she wanted a real marriage with someone she cared about and wasn't going to marry just for the sake of it.
Whereas Victoria clearly felt that any half decent marriage was better than none and wanted her family (except for a spinster daughter or 2) to be married..

Curryong

It may also have been a case of one party being much more keen than the other. It appears from that blog that Arthur did quite fancy Marie and was keen. On one occasion he 'had a lot to tell her' etc. He did go and visit her and hang around whereas Marie seems to have been quite coolish. She might have still had feelings for this other man she couldn't wed.

It's an odd little story, but it was nice to stumble on it. These little tales humanise long ago royals, I think. Who knows, people might be reading similar things about royals today in another 100 years. I don't mean about the matchmaking but their feelings about each other.

amabel

It is interesting.  I Don't know anything much about the Hanovers, in the 19th C.  Seems that yes Marie may have had a romance with a man she could not marry, because of her status.. Possibly had she been an ENlgish princess, she might have been able to marry him, like Louise with the M of Lorne.. but I suspect in German RF's at the time, it would be a no no if he wasn't a royal.

Curryong

Perhaps he was a Parisian gentleman, but without a title? The Hanovers did live in Paris for some of the time when they were exiled. Certainly, under the old style German House rules, nothing under a Duke would do.

The German Royal Family had kittens over Louise and the Marquess of Lorne, and there were even more howls of indignation when Beatrice was going to marry Henry Battenberg. They were even quite unhappy about Helena and Christian because of the Schleswig Holstein question. A ridiculous way to live really. 

Curryong

One of the most worthless individuals that ever sat on a throne.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: Curryong on July 27, 2018, 01:58:02 AM
One of the most worthless individuals that ever sat on a throne.
@Curryong, Who would have been a better choice to be King of Romania?

Curryong

It's not really a question of choice. Carol was just a very coarse, irresponsible and self-centred individual from his teenage years, if you examine his life. As the eldest son of King Ferdinand II he was the rightful heir.

However he had a penchant for gold diggers as worthless as himself and contracted an early illegal marriage when he was very young. That having been dissolved he married Princess Helen of Greece and proceeded to make her life a misery, as well as (when he was King,) humiliating and bullying his widowed mother, Queen Marie.

Carol then became embroiled in scandal by parading his mistress Magda Lupesco all over the place. The government decided Carol and Helen's little son Michael would be a better option as King, and he succeeded his grandfather, as Carol renounced his rights due to unwillingness to give up Lupesco. That was in 1927.

However Carol could not keep his sticky mitts off his son's throne, and in 1930 bullied and lied his way back. As King he was an absolute disaster, attempting to appease Russia in WW2 and Germany, and was finally forced to abdicate, going into exile.

If he had been any kind of a worthwhile human being at all he would have helped and supported his young son Michael, (and his brother who was Regent, and Helen.) from the beginning. But no, Carol came first and foremost in his own mind, always.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on July 28, 2018, 03:09:37 AM
It's not really a question of choice. Carol was just a very coarse, irresponsible and self-centred individual from his teenage years, if you examine his life. As the eldest son of King Ferdinand II he was the rightful heir.

However he had a penchant for gold diggers as worthless as himself and contracted an early illegal marriage when he was very young. That having been dissolved he married Princess Helen of Greece and proceeded to make her life a misery, as well as (when he was King,) humiliating and bullying his widowed mother, Queen Marie.

Carol then became embroiled in scandal by parading his mistress Magda Lupesco all over the place. The government decided Carol and Helen's little son Michael would be a better option as King, and he succeeded his grandfather, as Carol renounced his rights due to unwillingness to give up Lupesco. That was in 1927.

However Carol could not keep his sticky mitts off his son's throne, and in 1930 bullied and lied his way back. As King he was an absolute disaster, attempting to appease Russia in WW2 and Germany, and was finally forced to abdicate, going into exile.

I
but the heading says Carol I of Romania, who was the uncle of Ferdinand?  I gather he was a pretty selfish and cold hearted individual but I am sure there wre much worse royal rulers than him.  Carol II was indeed a bad king and pretty unpleasant, but I thought that the person in the pic was his great uncle Carol I?

Curryong

My mistake. Wrong thread. Should have put it in the Carol with Michael thread, which was up earlier as well.

amabel

I was surpised that you had said that Carol was one of the worst people ever to be a King, since while he was not a likable person,he wasn't THAT bad..  I agree that Carol II was indeed a pretty bad king though there are plenty of bad ones...

LouisFerdinand

@Curryong, amabel was correct. I inquired about King Carol I, not King Carol II.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand