Queen 'Not a Fan of Camera-Phones'

Started by cinrit, September 02, 2014, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteSelfies may be all the rage but the narcissistic social media craze has reportedly not found favour at Buckingham Palace.

The Queen has apparently voiced her dismay that when she carries out engagements she is greeted by a sea of mobile phones.

The monarch, who famously "photobombed" a selfie taken by an Australian sportswoman at the Commonwealth Games, made the comments to US ambassador Matthew Barzun when he presented his credentials at Buckingham Palace in November.

In an interview for the October edition of Tatler magazine, the 43-year-old American said she made the remarks during a "nice chat" they had after the ceremony.  He told the magazine: "She was essentially saying 'I miss eye contact'."

More: Queen 'not a fan of camera-phones' | Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

Neither am I, and there are few things I find more distasteful than selfies...  :snob:

He told the magazine: "She was essentially saying 'I miss eye contact'."
I agree. It must be horrible and boring to look at mobiles instead of people as people put them over their faces to take photos...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Blue Clover

I get her point! She is someone who is nearly constantly in crowds so I can see how having camera phones pointed at you all the time would be annoying!

TLLK

^^^While she didn't comment on "selfies" Queen Beatrix has shared her concern about technology taking precedence over face to face interaction. I agree with QEII's thoughts on the "selfie" phenomenon.

Limabeany

Quote from: Blue Clover on September 02, 2014, 11:57:55 PM
I get her point! She is someone who is nearly constantly in crowds so I can see how having camera phones pointed at you all the time would be annoying!
I would add boring and disheartening. It is impossible to find someone that would make you smile or even to smile at among a wall of mobiles, it must get old very early on...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.