Duke of Cambridge - Visit to Malta

Started by angieuk, September 18, 2014, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

It definitely isn't the main square -- scroll down in this Daily Mail article and you'll see a picture of café tables outside a library, it's clear that's the same building (and same statue, lampposts, etc.) as in Emily Andrews picture.  Prince William lands in Malta for whirlwind two-day tour standing in for pregnant wife Kate who pulled out suffering from morning sickness | Daily

Here's another picture of the area, which Emily Andrews posted (and mentions is at the library) which is full of crowds now that Will's there:  Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Wills works the crowds outside Malta's library. "Sorry Catherine can't be here. She's doing so-so".

Lady Adams

^^@Canuck, I added that new photo by Emily Andrews in my last reply before you responded. I may be critical, but I try not to overlook facts.  :hug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Canuck

Glad to hear it, Lady Adams!   :hug:

cinrit

QuoteWatch Prince William Visits the National Library  (VIDEOS & PHOTOS)

The Prince's visit to Malta was only confirmed a few days ago; his wife Catherine, who is pregnant with their second child, was due to attend, but had to cancel due to severe morning sickness. He landed at the Malta International Airport at around 3pm.

He immediately travelled to the San Anton Palace to call on President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca. A small crowd of people has gathered outside the palace well in advance, in the hope of getting a glimpse of the Prince. The Prince planted a tree in commemoration of the 50th Anniversary of Malta being independent.

The Prince's other commitments for the day are all in Valletta. His visit to the President was followed by a call on Prime Minister Joseph Muscat at the Auberge de Castille, where he was welcomed by Dr Muscat, his wife and their two daughters.

Only a small group of people opted to wait outside Castille, but a substantially larger number, with many tourists in their midst, gathered at St George's Square where an In Guardia Parade, a re-enactment showing military drills of the Knights of St John, has been held. The Prime Minister has accompanied the Prince at the square, along with Valletta mayor Alexiei Dingli.

More: Watch Prince William's visit to the National Library - The Malta Independent

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

PrincessOfPeace

Great reception for William.

QuotePrince William has apologised to crowds in Malta after he was mobbed during a two-day tour of the island as he stands in for The Duchess.

The Duke of Cambridge, 32, is representing the Queen at official celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of the country's independence from Great Britain after his pregnant wife was forced to pull out due to severe morning sickness.

He arrived on the Mediterranean island this afternoon where he met with the president, Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, at her official residence, the San Anton Palace.
More: Prince William is huge hit with the crowds as he stands in for Kate Middleton on two-day tour | Daily Mail Online

TLLK

Canuck-The TRF poster had posted a screen shot of the main square and it looked like the photo in the DM.

TLLK

LA-Not being a jerk at all, I'd have questioned it too however the poster had added screen shots from the local tv station and it featured the piazza that is in the DM photo.

TLLK

Absolutely gorgeous photos of the harbor and the surrounding historic church and other buildings. The island has a fascinating history that was influenced for thousands of years by so many civilizations.

I like that HM and I presume the DoE shared their memories of Malta with their grandson last weekend.

HereditaryPrincess

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 19, 2014, 11:41:27 PM
^^Oh, I completely agree with you, @HereditaryPrincess. I also kinda think Bea would have jumped at the chance.

And I also agree with you, @Lady Adams. I can imagine that Beatrice would've enjoyed going to Malta as she has some experience of an overseas visit before, when she visited Berlin with Eugenie in 2011. I think Sophie has also been to Malta in 2012 or so, wasn't there quite a lot of fuss about her going or am I thinking of someone else?

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge spoke of his wife's deep disappointment at not being able to fulfil her engagement to visit Malta for its independence celebrations – but joked that the island would not "survive" a visit from Prince George.
Prince William, arrived on the island on Saturday afternoon, stepping in for the Duchess of Cambridge after she was forced to pull out of the visit due to the severe morning sickness she is suffering in her second pregnancy.
Maltese President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca asked the Duke about bringing his young son next and the second-in-line to the throne joked: "Malta may not survive baby George". Hinting at the damage his 13-month-old son could wreak he looked around the lavishly decorated room and said "there's a lot of precious things here".

Malta would not survive Prince George, jokes William - Telegraph

cinrit

From Clarence House's Storify account:

QuoteRoyalVisitMalta - 50th Anniversary of Independence

The Duke of Cambridge arrived in Malta today.  His Royal Highness is representing The Queen at Malta's 50th anniversary of independence celebrations.  Here is our rolling blog for the two day visit...

The Queen lived in Malta at various times between 1949 and 1951 when the Duke of Edinburgh was on naval service.  The Queen was then Princess Elizabeth, The Duchess of Edinburgh.

More: #RoyalVisitMalta - 50th anniversary of independence (with images, tweets) · clarencehouse · Storify

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteYoung girl gets to give a bracelet to Prince William as he walked close to the National Library

Large crowds gathered in Valletta to catch a glimpse of Prince William, the guest of honour for Malta's 50th anniversary of independence.

The prince was a late stand-in for his wife Kate who had to withdraw because of severe morning sickness – she is pregnant with their second child. The trip would have been the Duchess' first official solo overseas visit in the name of Queen Elizabeth since she became the Duchess of Cambridge back in 2011.
More: Valletta crowds go crazy for Prince William - MaltaToday.com.mt

TLLK

Thank you to all who provided video links and photos/articles.

wannable

cinrit

QuoteA Speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge at Independence Day Celebrations in Malta

Your Excellency President of Malta, Honourable Prime Minister, Honourable Ministers and Parliamentarians, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen – thank you so much for such a warm welcome on the occasion of Malta's fiftieth anniversary of independence.

While I know that you were not expecting me until a few days ago, I must admit that I feel honoured to be able to represent Her Majesty in a country so beloved by her.

Catherine has asked me to say how very sorry she is that she couldn't be the one to pass on The Queen's greetings to you all.  She was looking forward to coming here, and I know she hopes very much that she will be able to visit in the future.

It is now a great privilege to deliver a message to the people of Malta from Her Majesty The Queen.

More: Speech

QuoteRoyal Visit Malta - Day One

The Duke of Cambridge joined the country for celebrations marking the 50th anniversary of its independence.

His Royal Highness was standing in for The Duchess of Cambridge, forced to withdraw with severe morning sickness, but he was warmly welcomed by Maltese President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca.

The Duchess had been in doubt for her first official solo overseas trip as she is still suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum, and when asked about his wife the Duke told the President she was "so-so" adding "she's so sad not to be here".

Mrs Coleiro Preca's guest joked "unfortunately you have me," but she quickly corrected him saying "fortunately".

More: Royal Visit Malta - Day One

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuotePrince William attended his first public Mass today as he embarked on the second day of an official visit to Malta.

The second in line to the throne was at the opulently decorated St John's Co- Cathedral in Valletta, the capital of the island.

Arriving at the cathedral, one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture in the world, the prince was greeted by the national anthem and took his place at the front of the church next to British High Commissioner Rob Luke.

Aides said the prince might might have attended a requiem mass or some other form of Catholic service privately, but that he is not believed to have attended a public Mass before.
More: Prince William attends first public Mass on second day of whistle-stop tour of Malta standing in for Duchess of Cambridge | Daily Mail Online

wannable

Simon Perry (@SPerryPeoplemag) tweeted at 7:56am - 21 Sep 14:

Enthusiastic crowds greet #PrinceWilliam as he walks to the harbour in Birgu #malta #RoyalVisitMalta instagram.com/p/tNR3ZWRFU9/ (https://twitter.com/SPerryPeoplemag/status/513673829722644480)

Instagram

Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) tweeted at 8:37am - 21 Sep 14:

Wills all at sea in his Dad jeans in Valletta's Grand Harbour.... (Pic @maltarightnow). Kate: buy him some new ones!! pic.twitter.com/dfKHzfXhTP (Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Wills all at sea in his Dad jeans in Valletta's Grand Harbour.... (Pic @maltarightnow). Kate: buy him some new ones!!)

I'm glad The DOC went, I doubt any other royal, except Harry would have garnered that much press attention to Malta.

Simon Perry (@SPerryPeoplemag) tweeted at 9:31am - 21 Sep 14:

Prince William, stepping in for ill wife Kate on Malta visit, has been keeping her updated on sights, passing on good wishes he's received (Simon Perry on Twitter: "Prince William, stepping in for ill wife Kate on Malta visit, has been keeping her updated on sights, passing on good wishes)

Instagram video
Instagram

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on September 21, 2014, 10:32:49 AM
Day 2

Rebecca English (@RE_DailyMail) tweeted at 3:28am - 21 Sep 14:

Prince William's first public Mass #Malta pic.twitter.com/gsYGofy4Sj (Rebecca English on Twitter: "Prince William's first public Mass #Malta http://t.co/gsYGofy4Sj")

Wonder if someone was prompting him with "Stand sir. Sit sir. Kneel sir. Stand sir. Sit sir. Kneel sir." :P

cinrit

Quote from: TLLK on September 21, 2014, 02:49:13 PM
Wonder if someone was prompting him with "Stand sir. Sit sir. Kneel sir. Stand sir. Sit sir. Kneel sir." :P 

The term "Mass" is used, which assumedly means it was a Roman Catholic Mass.  So the answer is probably "yes".  Someone would have to tell me the same. :P

Cindy

TLLK

^^^I've had to help many a friend when they're attending their first Mass ie: Wedding. Promise that I'll do the same for you. :hug: (BTW you wouldn't have to kneel. Sitting is perfectly acceptable for non-Catholics.)

cinrit

^^ Uhhh ... I'm Catholic.  Just not practicing Catholic. :angel:  But really, they've changed so much in the Mass since I went regularly, I'm completely lost when I do go, so I'd definitely need your assistance, TLLK. :hug:

Cindy

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge flew solo in place of his wife after the Duchess was forced to withdraw from the trip due to severe morning sickness.

William has been in regular touch with Kate about the trip – which was meant to be her first solo trip.

But, as ever, William was all smiles as he visited a centre providing a range of services for youngsters and adults from an impoverished area.

The second-in-line also revealed that his 14-month-old son is also in his thoughts, joking with a child care student that she could come to the UK and look after Prince George.

He told 17-year-old Janet Desira: "You can come and do some babysitting for me."
More: Prince William plays Xbox and table football in Malta | Royal | News | Daily Express

SophieChloe

There would have been crowds regardless of William (or Kate) being there. 

It's good PR to lump them into an event that would have been busy whether they went or not. 

I think it was Adrienne that said (up thread) that William had nothing to do with big or small crowds. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me