Author Topic: What happened to Princess Diana's jewellery?  (Read 648 times)

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
What happened to Princess Diana's jewellery?
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:57:37 PM »
What happened to Princess Diana's jewellery? Where are the Princess of Wales? royal gems? | Style | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

PRINCESS DIANA was a given a great amount of jewellery before her untimely death aged 36. During her marriage to Prince Charles and after she was given lavish gems by dignitaries and the Royal Family. Where is that jewellery now?

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    52%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
Re: What happened to Princess Diana's jewellery?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:21:27 PM »
What happened to Princess Diana's jewellery? Where are the Princess of Wales? royal gems? | Style | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

Kate seems to have got quite a bit of Diana's jewellery, including the most important ring in Diana's collection. She also seems to have snaffled earrings and a bracelet.

Considering that some at least of his mother's jewellery, ie the Saudi suite, probably went back into the Royal vaults and others are inappropriate such as the push present necklace with 'William' etched on it in Charles's writing, it will be interesting to see what scraps have been left for Harry's wife, considering the jewellery was SUPPOSED to have been shared between her two sons not just given to the one who married first. Very little in my estimation.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:29:18 PM »
I agree William seems to have received more. Maybe they truly did believe Harry would be a life long bachelor.   :unsure:

I think in Diana's thinking she would have wanted Harry to have at least half, she did say she worried about Harry since William would be taken care of because he is heir. (Not her exact words but the sentiment behind it)

Offline wannable

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 03:42:24 AM »
Time will tell who stayed with what.  I am sure the brothers will split Diana's jewelry pieces 50/50 fairly, they have transformed or made new jewelry out of an old piece, Kate with sapphire earrings, Harry with the engagement ring; pieces taken from an original set. For example the diamonds from the necklace mentioned in the article, there are plenty diamonds left from that piece. 

The brothers seem to love each other loads, no soap drama here.

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 03:53:24 AM »
^ I guess you didn't see the photos then. Everyone knows the Brothers love each other but we are talking about jewelry & wives not Brothers.

Online TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:06 AM »
I agree @wannable as there should be plenty from Diana's private collection to be used intact or refashioned into new pieces by both of her daughters-in-law. Diana or her estate might have been willed some jewelry from both of her parents upon their deaths. IMO there also were likely other pieces from her own personal collection that were never seen by the public. :)

@Curryong is correct though that pieces that were loaned to Diana or were gifts from foreign rulers ie: Saudi Arabia would be the property of the BRF and would have been returned upon her death. 

Offline wannable

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
But the brothers are the inheritors. Only through the brothers, anyone may receive what was Diana's jewelry.  No one else can decide but William and Harry!

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 03:58:08 AM »
Diana used a lot of costume jewelry but I haven't seen Kate wearing any of those. I wonder if she just trashed them.

Offline wannable

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 04:02:30 AM »
Kate is not the daughter or inheritor of Diana.  The only people who can trash whatever Diana had is William and Harry for that matter.

Kate likes to wear a lot her own Kiki McDonough jewelry during daytime royal duty outings. She uses the more fanciful jewelry that were Diana's or Crown Jewels during evening wear.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:06:01 AM »
I don't know if you are married or not but I can tell you the wife has influence over the husband & the more years they are together the more influence she has.

Online Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
    • Favorite royal: Diana, Princess of Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:48 AM »
I agree @wannable as there should be plenty from Diana's private collection to be used intact or refashioned into new pieces by both of her daughters-in-law. Diana or her estate might have been willed some jewelry from both of her parents upon their deaths. IMO there also were likely other pieces from her own personal collection that were never seen by the public. :)

@Curryong is correct though that pieces that were loaned to Diana or were gifts from foreign rulers ie: Saudi Arabia would be the property of the BRF and would have been returned upon her death.

We dont know how much is still set aside for both boys, with William being first to marry, Kate has shown off the most of them so far, maybe Harry is waiting till he gets married to Meghan to start bring them out. I'd say after a year or two of them being married we'll know more about it. Sadly, a lot of the iconic jewels she wore were on loan from either the RF or the Spencers in the case of her family tiara.

Am curious @TLLK if the Saudi set was a wedding present to her, how would it be the RF property? (other than the old possession is 9/10th of the law after her death)? Theres a lovely sapphire bracelet that she rarely wore that I wish shed have done more, same with the larger single sapphire earrings, she seemed to like the double ones more.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Online TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 04:24:30 AM »
Am curious @TLLK if the Saudi set was a wedding present to her, how would it be the RF property? (other than the old possession is 9/10th of the law after her death)? Theres a lovely sapphire bracelet that she rarely wore that I wish shed have done more, same with the larger single sapphire earrings, she seemed to like the double ones more.

This is the best answer that I've found regarding the BRF and gifts of jewelry from foreign rulers.

How a routine royal visit spelt trouble for the Countess of Wessex - Telegraph

Buckingham Palace said that official gifts, such as the jewels, are not the personal property of the royal family. Although the Countess can now wear the jewels at functions they remain the property of the Royal Collection.

Online Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 04:33:14 AM »
Thanks for the info @TLLK guess its one of those many differences between normal ppl and royals in terms of customs. Its a shame they didnt go directly to the boys, while im sure they will have some access to them, its not the same as having them in ones own estate/possession and relying on the good grace of the family to loan them out.

Also once HM goes, one wonders if Charles will want these visual reminders of his first wife out on display?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
Re: What happened to Princess Diana\'s jewellery?
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 04:43:15 AM »
This has nothing to do with Charles.

Double post auto-merged: January 22, 2018, 05:02:44 AM

Princess Diana?s Saudi Sapphire Suite | The Royal Watcher

The final (known) appearance of the Saudi Sapphire Suite was in 1987, when Princess of Wales wore it to dance with the Prince after dinner at the Hotel Hyatt in Melbourne. It hasn?t been seen since, and was inherited by Prince William and Prince Harry in 1997. I think it would be a good choice for the Duchess of Cambridge, to go with her sapphire engagement ring, also from Princess Diana.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:02:46 AM by Kritter »

Online Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 05:10:50 AM »
@TLLK  s posts were about the fact that gifts from foreign states are not property of the individual royals, so in that sense, once he is king, and then the loaning of them out falls to his decision.

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:28:03 AM »
It is still not about Charles & William will also be King & he is part of the article.

A wedding gift is not an official gift.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:30:50 AM by Kritter »

Online TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 05:43:39 AM »
Thanks for the info @TLLK guess its one of those many differences between normal ppl and royals in terms of customs. Its a shame they didnt go directly to the boys, while im sure they will have some access to them, its not the same as having them in ones own estate/possession and relying on the good grace of the family to loan them out.

Also once HM goes, one wonders if Charles will want these visual reminders of his first wife out on display?
I would gather that the gifts of jewelry from Middle Eastern monarchs have become a bit of an issue as we saw with Sophie's gift. Having it remain in possession of the Crown/State seems to be the best solution as an outright refusal could be seen as a diplomatic snub.

Now it is possible that the pieces could be reworked in a different manner but ultimately would have to remain with the Crown. So if Harry and Meghan were to redesign the Saudi Sapphires into a new piece for her to wear, then that should be acceptable as long as they return to the Crown at their deaths.

TBH I don't really think that Charles would mind that Diana's old pieces are being used by his daughters-in-law. He seems to appreciate fine jewelry on the ladies that he cares about and since he's gifted Kate with some lovely pieces, I'm sure that the same will happen with Meghan.  :)

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 06:46:23 AM »
Charles isn't part of this.

The Jewels were a wedding present & not an official gift making them personal Jewels that were given to her Sons.     :wellduh:

Sophie's gift was given in an official capacity which makes them entirely different.

Online TLLK

• Questionable morals
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »
Kate seems to have got quite a bit of Diana's jewellery, including the most important ring in Diana's collection. She also seems to have snaffled earrings and a bracelet.

Considering that some at least of his mother's jewellery, ie the Saudi suite, probably went back into the Royal vaults and others are inappropriate such as the push present necklace with 'William' etched on it in Charles's writing, it will be interesting to see what scraps have been left for Harry's wife, considering the jewellery was SUPPOSED to have been shared between her two sons not just given to the one who married first. Very little in my estimation.
I wonder since Meghan has shown a distinct preference for yellow gold, if she might be the one to inherit Diana's extensive collection of gold earrings, necklaces and bracelets that she wore often during her day engagements but sometimes at evening events.  Many of them were worn in the late eighties through the nineties, when Diana had moved on from the pearls that she wore more frequently in the early eighties. Among them are Tiffany and Chanel pieces. Now some of the gold pieces are somewhat "dated" but things can be refashioned if desired.

Diana's Yellow Gold Earrings

The Court Jeweler site has this blog on what they believe were Diana's top ten pieces. Some are returned to the BRF, some were refashioned ie: Kate's sapphire drops, others are being  worn by Kate and at least one substantial necklace was sold.

The Top Ten: Princess Diana's Jewels | The Court Jeweller
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:07:42 AM by TLLK »

Offline Trudie

• Diana-ites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    44%
    • Favorite royal: Diana
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 10:23:09 AM »
I wonder who inherited the Pearl choker with the Sapphire and Diamond clasp that had been fashioned from a brooch the Queen Mother gave her as a wedding gift.

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    52%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 02:08:01 PM »
I hope Meghan does inherit some of the gold pieces, TLLK, as otherwise I fear there will be very slim pickings for her. I've just got a feeling that probably a lot was sold. The fashion is long past for pearl chokers and the like, a pity as I like them, but the diamonds and coloured stones could be fashioned into some new pieces, if Diana's private jewellery has been left intact. There is a lovely topaz dress ring I believe, that Meghan might like.

Offline royalanthropologist

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    68%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:28 PM »
Until Charlotte is old enough to start attending banquets as Princess Royal, Meghan will definitely have many tiara events as the Duchess of York. Windsor jewels are typically very "old" even when compared with other European monarchies. I think BRF takes pride in that and expect that princesses will favor them for formal events as opposed to the modern pieces.

Diana had her own private collection but the pieces were not intrinsically valuable apart from the sentimental value attached to the wearer. These are probably very special pieces for her sons which they most likely inherited and will share with their wives. I am hopeful that as queen, Kate will not be stingy and will be more than happy to share with her sister-in-law the big pieces from the Windsor collection.

I think the Loversknot will be worn by Kate then eventually passed on to George's wife (when that happens). Alternatively it might be given to Charlotte when she is the Princess Royal.   
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 02:32:40 PM »
This is about Diana's Jewels & not Windsor Jewels. The Duchess of York is not going to be Meghan.   :blink:

Offline royalanthropologist

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    68%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 03:11:49 PM »
- Many of Diana's jewels are part of the Windsor collection e.g. Loversknot
- The wife of the second son becomes Duchess of York as Meghan will be.
[edited]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:05:00 AM by SophieChloe »
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    10%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 04:03:43 PM »
She can't become Duchess of York until Andrew is gone. 
I assume that as William was the first to marry, Kate is going to be seen wearing some of Diana's "personal" jewels..  but since the 2 of them inherited her estate, in equal parts, some of the jewellery si there for Harry when he has a wife to wear it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:10:07 PM by amabel »

The following users thanked this post: sara8150, Kritter

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites