Diana's Pearls

Started by Lindelle, September 17, 2010, 12:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindelle

Trudie, yes she did in fact wear a lot of fake jewellery.
Personally I didn't care too much for that particular necklace Charles gave her.

WinnieMTP

Quote from: Trudie on October 13, 2010, 12:21:24 AM
As for many of Diana's pearls I remember reading that she often wore fakes along with real ones.

COOL................. .sticky
The beauty is only visible with the heart.
closed account.

Lindelle

Oooohhhhhh, I like that saying Winnie.

Hale

Quote from: Mike on October 01, 2010, 04:26:24 AM
How many of these jewels were Diana's personal property?

Mike, I don't know if the Queen ever gave Diana any pearls because the late Queen Mary was extremely fond of them, but I did read somewhere that the Queen gave Diana a tiara worn by Queen Mary and following the divorce Diana had to give back the tiara.  I believe that many of the jewels owned by the RF are actually owned by the Crown.

Mike

As I recall, one of her most famous tiaras belonged to her brother and she had to give that back.  That's what prompted my question, how much of her jewelry was really hers?  I don't know.   

:halloween1:  Oh, look.  It's Camilla.     :biggrin:
Mark Twain:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
and
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."

amabel

Quote from: Mike on October 15, 2010, 04:13:27 PM
As I recall, one of her most famous tiaras belonged to her brother and she had to give that back.  That's what prompted my question, how much of her jewelry was really hers?  I don't know.   

:halloween1:  Oh, look.  It's Camilla.     :biggrin:

most of the jewellery she wore belonged to the crown.  If she got presents from foreign rulers they were considered gifts to the crown and not ot her personally..  The tiara she wore at her wedding was Spencer family property.  Charles did give her jewellery that was "personal" and she may have bought some other stuff herself but I'd say that most of what we've seen her wearing publicly was "crown jewellery" and not her own...

scooter

Quote from: amabel on October 02, 2010, 09:11:08 AM
I think that I read soemwhere that when William was born Charles bought her a necklace to commemorate the birith but I think that it is one that we've never seen since seh probalby only wore it at private occasions...
It is the pearl necklace with the diamond pave heart she is wearing in the picture of her holding William and the one immediately below.

scooter

It also occurs to me that as a 'birth present' for producing the heir to the throne, that necklace was not exactly lavish.

dianab

The Site:
http://dianasjewels.net/
PS.You could see more than pearls.

The wedding gifts she received from the Saudis and Gulf emirates were Diana's personal property and would not have returned to The Queen. These jewels, and others she received during her marriage, now belong to William and Harry.

The royal pieces (Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara, Art-Deco Diamond and Emerald Choker, Seven-Strand Diamond and Sapphire Pearl Choker, 'Prince of Wales Feathers' Diamond Pendant) were also wedding gifts, but were considered to be permanent loans. Diana was allowed to keep these jewels for her lifetime in her divorce agreement, but they were returned to The Queen after her untimely death since her children were minors and unmarried.
For I remember the divorce agreement was the royal jewels after Diana died belongs directely to William as he's future king.

The most of her jewels were her personal property, she buys/purchase the most for herself, I read in somewhrere (in Daily Mail) the Van Cleef & Arpels was one of her favorite jewelry. I remember Patrick Jephson talking about Diana go to jewelry too.

Lindelle

(sigh) beautiful dianab.
Thankyou.

Hale

dianab,  :thanks: for your link.  http://dianasjewels.net/rings.htm

I see, even if Harry did pick out the Saphire and Diamond engagement ring, it still belonged to William because of the terms in Diana's divorce settlement.

Lindelle

Hale that was awesome!

Hale

:doublewave:  Lindelle, that was dianab's link.  It certainly answered the question for me about Diana's engagement ring.  Oooo....actually I wonder if anyone else knows that?  I'll post it in the Wedding/Engagement thread.

:vday4:  Thanks once again dianab.

Lindelle

Well I thanked her too :faint:

LouisFerdinand

TLLK

Duch_Luver_4ever

wish there was more info on the details of why it was on auction, ie: for charity, who had it prior, as I doubt the boys would have put it up unless it was for charity. someday we'll be sorry pieces like that arent in a museum.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

I thought I had read that Diana hadn't purchased the Swan Lake suite of diamond and pearls necklace and earrings at the time of her death and have found something to back that up!

On the Block: Diana's Swan Lake Suite | The Court Jeweller

Diana was still waiting for Garrards, the Royal jewellers at the time, to finish off the matching earrings to the suite at the time of the ballet and never wore the necklace again of course. The set never belonged to the boys. Garrards must have allowed Diana to wear the necklace for the occasion and then by arrangement give it back the next day.

In the chaos and misery surrounding Diana's death this particular suite was left in limbo. The boys didn't buy it of course and the Royal family certainly wouldn't have wanted it. According to the above article Garrards eventually sold the pieces to a private purchaser but they were resold later because that owner's wife felt too terribly sad when wearing them and thinking about their history.

I think the necklace is very sweet but the pearls are just overly large for my taste. Several people at the time of this latest auction said the same.

I've read that Garrards later lost the custom of the BRF because some jewellery belonging to the Danish royals (a tiara I think) was taken in for cleaning there in London and embarrassingly no trace of the piece could be found at the firm's premises afterwards. Apparently and unsurprisingly there was the most terrible stink about it though the scandal was kept virtually under wraps and the DRF were compensated by Garrards with a new tiara that was an exact copy of the old. The historical value was gone forever of course.

TLLK

@Curryong- Do you think that the necklace could have been convertible and used as a small tiara at some point?

Duch_Luver_4ever

I agree with @Curryong that the pearls on the necklace would have been better not on it, I think it would have been a nice, understated but elegant as just the diamonds themselves.

As for it being a tiara, I suppose @TLLK but by then she was pretty much done wearing tiaras. Depending had she lived on how things with her and Charles Spencer got on, she might have needed one for the odd affair that required one if he refused to lend out the Spencer  tiara (which he was making it harder and harder for her to get over the years, a great shame, as she was made to wear it, IMO).

Brings up an interesting question, have any of his girls worn it in public yet?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

Curryong

Sorry I'm late again here, as usual. Been celebrating Australia Day!  I have never heard that the Swan Lake necklace was designed to convert to a tiara, TLLK. It seems to be a bit fiddly looking and the wrong shape for that somehow. I really think that Diana was in the mood where she was finished with all the royals bar her boys. Tiaras weren't on her mind.

I have never seen any tiaras on any of the heads of Charles S's girls. My guess is that, like most aristo families who still have a tiara or two, they will be seen on the heads of the daughters as brides and then popped back in the vault, unless Prince Charles starts having mass tiara events again as King.

TLLK

Hope that you enjoyed your Australia Day fun @Curryong. (Will not mention shrimps and  "barbies." ) :wink:

I agree with both of you that she was likely done with tiaras for the foreseeable future. Had she lived long enough to see her son's coronation, she could have always used one of the Spencer tiaras for the event.