Prince Charles prepares to step back from charity duties as he approaches his 70

Started by Kritter, January 01, 2018, 02:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kritter

Prince Charles reduces charity work as he approaches 70 | Daily Mail Online

QuotePrince Charles is doing less charitable work as he approaches his 70th birthday and starts filling in for the Queen.

The Prince of Wales's Charitable Foundation handed out less than half the donations this year than it did during the previous year.

In 2016 the foundation gave charities a total of ?7.7million, compared with ?3.1million in the 12 months to March, according to accounts.

Clarence House told the Daily Telegraph Charles, 69, is 'reviewing' his charity work as he takes on more jobs to support the Queen

Curryong

I really, really wish that Charles's sons would take over the Prince's Trust in some form. It is such a worthwhile cause and it's now dying on the vine. Come on Harry, think about it!

amabel

I don't see why it should die.  Surely Charles can hand over the running of it to executives? Of course as he is older and has now increasingly got the responsibility of taking on more of the queen's duties, and of course of being King.. he wont be able to be as hard working on th Princes Trust as he has been.. but I don't see why it should not keep on running.

TLLK

^^^I agree @amabel that Charles is signaling that he's stepping away from the day to day activities and will leave more decision making to Prince's Trust team. I do believe that it will continue  though.

Kritter

Quote from: amabel on January 01, 2018, 09:34:35 AM
I don't see why it should die.  Surely Charles can hand over the running of it to executives? Of course as he is older and has now increasingly got the responsibility of taking on more of the queen's duties, and of course of being King.. he wont be able to be as hard working on th Princes Trust as he has been.. but I don't see why it should not keep on running.

It has been run by others for years.

amabel

Charles has had a lot of involvement in it but of course other people have been involved in running it, as he has many other interests and duties.  SO I see no reason why it wont go on, perhaps with a change of name. when he is king.

TLLK

I agree @amabel that it could become the King's Trust or Windsor Trust or Their Majesties Trust in the future.

Kritter

He is cutting back on the charities not changing the name.

Charles is 70 & the Queen is still the Monarch so he doesn't have a lot of time left for drastic changes.

amabel

amabel

I don't understand.  we don't know if he will make radical changes or not, and I am not sure what sort of changes you are referring to. Do you mean changes of residence?  Or work related changes? 

Kritter

^I mean changes to the Monarchy. If he makes the wrong ones he is to old for years to pass for him to overcome them.

Trudie

I don't see why The Princes Trust would need a name change. In the biography of the charity it clearly states it was started by HRH The Prince Charles Prince of Wales. This charity has always been his baby I don't see him stepping away entirely even as King though I think William should take it on as he will be the next POW

amabel

Quote from: Kritter on January 03, 2018, 08:27:49 PM
^I mean changes to the Monarchy. If he makes the wrong ones he is to old for years to pass for him to overcome them.
what changes will he make to the monarchy?  He wont have that much scope, only relatively small ones.

Kritter

Charles will do things his own way & since he thinks he knows best about everything I am sure he has ideas he would want to implement.

amabel

Of course he has ideas of his own and he will make changes.. but that is natural.  It is believed that he wants to slim the RF down, which will be like most European and other royal families wehre the focus and duties will be on a few members, mainly the monarch, his consort and his own children and their partners.. not loads of cousins, the way it is now.  I think we'll see that happening as that is what most other RF's do. 
its not making changes for the sake of making changes...

Kritter

amabel

Like what exactly?  He cant change the laws, he can of course make changes in how work is done, and how the RF presents itself.  That's his right, as he will be king in say the 2020s or 30s, and its his responsibility to make the monarchy work for that time.
in various things that he is said to be planning, such as possibly making BP the work centre rather than where he lives, or only using a small number of royals for public work, he's in line with what most other monarchies have been doing for the past years.

Kritter

I can't believe that people still after all these centuries believe that the royals have absolutely no power to get Parliament to change the laws for them.   :wacko:

amabel

soyou think that Charles is going to spend his time "getting parliament to change the laws for him"??? what laws exactly?

amabel

I don't really know what point youre making.  yes of course Charles will make changes in how the monarchy works, when he becomes King.  He is now stepping back from so much invovlement in the Princes Trust because he is taking on more routine duties that the queen used to perform. 

Kritter