The hairstyles

Started by TLLK, August 14, 2017, 10:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

You beat me to the punch @TLLK I was going to post  that one with my thoughts^^ heres the one that jumped out at me by Sam McKnight

'I used to say to her: "You look great coming out of the gym; natural, glowing" but she'd say: "Sam, people don't want to see me in trainers, they want to see Princess Diana."

The reason it did was that it says a lot about what she thought about herself, and how that drove her, and made her unhappy at times when I think it wasnt necessary. Now i know im a bit of an oddball, in that i do like her best natural and glowing, the more casual the clothes the better (jeans and a jumper  :crazylove:), but I dont think im unique in that. So much of what her relatible and a delight for ppl to meet was not the external but her warmth.charm and empathy.

I think of a couple other times in her life she said similar things, like when she thought ppl wanted a fairy princess to touch them and turn everything to gold, or when she said the quest for perfection left one breathless at every turn, for examples, I think were cases where she was much too hard on herself and didnt fully understand the publics affection towards her.

Now im sure that was the case of formal engagements and state events, ppl required her to be "on", and the press, especially early on, was very critical of specifics of her looks, etc., that she must have found withering at times, over her "puppy fat"  :fuming: or if certain clothes were too old for her, etc.

I think it was an effect of the papers being a vital lifeline to counter the info the royals gave her. the public helped her too, but it was a diffused effect, she just had a handshake and a few words and a happy look to go on. I think if for example she could have heard some focus groups say what they liked about her early on, she might have been a lot kinder on herself. Usually ppl arent describing some minor thing about her look or outfit thats wrong, theyre describing how she made them feel, I wish shed known that more in her life.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

Quote'I used to say to her: "You look great coming out of the gym; natural, glowing" but she'd say: "Sam, people don't want to see me in trainers, they want to see Princess Diana."

The reason it did was that it says a lot about what she thought about herself, and how that drove her, and made her unhappy at times when I think it wasnt necessary. Now i know im a bit of an oddball, in that i do like her best natural and glowing, the more casual the clothes the better (jeans and a jumper  :crazylove:), but I dont think im unique in that. So much of what her relatible and a delight for ppl to meet was not the external but her warmth.charm and empathy.

I agree that those photos are my favorites too. Of course she looked lovely in her formal attire and day engagement wear but honestly she was at her prettiest in simpler outfits IMHO.

Now that iconic hairstyle from the early 1980's had women running to the salons to recreate that look.I knew many young women who wore their hair in a similar style. Especially those who had straighter and finer hair because the subtle layering gave them the volume that they wanted. (Personally I would have had a harder time with it as it would require far too many hours blow drying my coarser, curlier hair)

As for the color, I prefer her slightly darker shade with golden highlights from the early 1980's to the lighter/ blonder overall color that she opted for later.

Duch_Luver_4ever

We're of two minds it seems on her best style and color, I always liked the 1980 version of her hair and its color (despite Kevin Shanley calling it "mousey" brown hair  :thumbsdown: ) I liked it darker, with the three light highlight strands on the top, much more natural looking. Sadly she went blonde to please Charles....Its also interesting to see the pics from a few years before and see her hair inching towards that style.

Not that I frequented hair salons in the 80s but i did hear on the news and see more girls wearing it, even her sister Sarah wore it, although parted on the other side.

Speaking of parts, I always thought it looked best on the left, not that she changed it, but when the darn paper or magazines would flip the negative, I always didnt like it as much.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

You might find this a little hard to believe but by the time she'd reached her mid-thirties. she might have also chosen to go lighter to start covering those first few grey hairs. That's fairly common with women who have been highlighting their hair. (Speaking from my own experience and knowing what my friends/family have done.) :wink:

Duch_Luver_4ever

I'm sure the hairdressers would have been sworn to secrecy over the existence of any grey hairs, had she lived.  :lol:

TLLK

I liked it too though there was some criticism at the time that she should have pulled them back. IMO that would have not been a flattering look for her hairstyle in 1981 as the heavy bangs (fringe) were an essential element of the style.

Duch_Luver_4ever

agreed, although if you guys are referring to what happened to the fringe on the wedding day that was due to her not taking her hairdressers advice on the type of fixing product, and the heat made the front look a bit wilted when she came out, but still very lovely.

sandy

Diana had to wear the tiara for hours. That would flatten hair. As I recall, the Queen had to take off her crown on her Coronation day after the ceremonies because she was getting a headache. Even hairspray or gel can't withstand a tiara. Her hair looked wonderful when it was restyled for her "going away" on honeymoon photo ops.

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on September 27, 2017, 04:13:51 AM
agreed, although if you guys are referring to what happened to the fringe on the wedding day that was due to her not taking her hairdressers advice on the type of fixing product, and the heat made the front look a bit wilted when she came out, but still very lovely.
Yes the heat  and humidity can "wilt" most hair and hair products have come a long way since 1981.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Her hairdresser was interviewed about the day, and he mentioned that. There was some product before mousse, I want to say it was a powder, you ladies would know more than i it was just a passing thing in the book for me.

But he advised her to use it and she didnt want to, when you think about it in other times when she wore her tiaras, it didnt happen,so it was the product, not the tiara. Also like @TLLK  mentioned the products improved, and her use of them increased.