Duke of Cambridge - Visit to Malta

Started by angieuk, September 18, 2014, 09:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angieuk

cinrit

QuoteDuchess of Cambridge Withdraws from Solo Malta Trip on Advice of Doctors

The Duchess of Cambridge will not travel to Malta this weekend for her first official solo overseas visit because she is still suffering the effects of acute morning sickness.

The duchess, who is pregnant with her second child, had been in doubt after suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum. Her husband, the Duke of Cambridge, will take her place.

The couple made their decision on Wednesday night in consultation with the duchess's doctors.

More: Duchess of Cambridge withdraws from solo Malta trip on advice of doctors | UK news | theguardian.com

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Lady Adams

From the Express story:

But now William, who was originally said to be too busy focusing on studying for flying exams inn preparation for a career as an air ambulance pilot, will go to Malta instead and carry out her programme of engagements.

I wonder what changed for William's training schedule. :hmm:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

wannable

The quote interpretation is "studying" for exams, theoretical. He no longer has this weekend to study for the exam.

Canuck

Presumably what changed is that Kate had to drop out.  Most people who are studying can rearrange their schedules if necessary, even if ideally they would be using certain times to study.

I'm sure Kate is very disappointed she can't go.  That said, it does sound like it's best for her not to attempt it.  Better safe than sorry.

Eri

Breaking news Daily Fail? With all that is going on in the World?  <_<

TLLK

^^^I agree that this is hardly breaking news, but I'm glad that William's schedule could be rearranged so he could go to Malta.

In All I Do

If the Italian press is correct in reporting that Harry and some Middletons have arrived in Itally for the Gilkes wedding, it would seem that the obvious assumption about William missing the Malta trip because of training, while logical, might not have been the correct one.

Again, if the Italian press is correct, it would appear that Kate was originally scheduled to go to the tour rather than the wedding, while William went to the wedding without her. Which, if true, should be lauded by people who want Kate to put work ahead of her personal life. With the change to William, it looks like he's now putting work ahead of his personal life, which, again, should be cheered.

cate1949

well I think this is best - it was not a good idea for Kate to travel at this time

cinrit

QuoteA Statement About The Duchess of Cambridge No Longer Visiting Malta This Weekend

The Duchess of Cambridge will no longer visit Malta this weekend. The Duke of Cambridge will undertake the visit instead.

Her Royal Highness continues to suffer from the effects of Hyperemesis Gravidarum. The decision not to travel was taken by the Duke and Duchess on the advice of the Duchess's doctors.

The Duke is honoured to represent Her Majesty The Queen on the visit, which commemorates the 50th anniversary of Malta's Independence.

The visit itinerary remains unchanged.

Press release

Cindy

sara8150

Pregnant Duchess of Cambridge will NOT travel to Malta for first solo overseas visit because of effects of extreme morning sickness but Wills is going instead
Pregnant Kate, Duchess of Cambridge will not travel to Malta because of extreme morning sickness | Daily Mail Online

Eri

It really seems her sickness is worse than when she had George poor Kate I wouldn't wish it on any one ...

wannable

Not sure if the press pack originally going will all be there, but The Sun will be covering.

Emily Andrews (@byEmilyAndrews) tweeted at 6:00am - 19 Sep 14:

I'm wearing my jeans (in hot Malta!) for @JeansforGenes & have donated. Have you?? jeansforgenesday.org/donate Will ask Wills to don his dad pair (Emily Andrews on Twitter: "I'm wearing my jeans (in hot Malta!) for @JeansforGenes & have donated. Have you?? http://t.co/w10jS5IIVS Will ask)

TLLK

Saw this on another site but..
Forecasting that William will wear a blue  suit, red tie, white shirt and sensible black shoes. For casual he'll go with an open neck shirt in either blue or tan with jeans and an African inspired belt with slightly scuffed trainers. :wink:

However he may receive a last minute instruction to wear a kilt for the entire trip if the "No" campaign wins.  :D

HereditaryPrincess

I was kind of thinking that William might go, but to be brutally honest, if I were Maltese, I would prefer someone such as Beatrice or Eugenie (it was suggested elsewhere that they could be "replacements", but I understand that they're not 'full time' royals so their presence wouldn't have happened), as I find William rather boring now. I used to like him when he was younger as I always thought he was more good looking than Harry (but now it's the other way round!), but there's something off about him now IMO.

Lady Adams

^^Oh, I completely agree with you, @HereditaryPrincess. I also kinda think Bea would have jumped at the chance.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

wannable

BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) tweeted at 1:30am - 20 Sep 14:

Prince William begins visit to Malta without his pregnant wife Kate
bbc.in/XRj46u pic.twitter.com/670NZaDWYq (BBC News (World) on Twitter: "Prince William begins visit to Malta without his pregnant wife Kate http://t.co/1MIoksBHMU http://t.co/670NZaDWYq")

QuotePrince William's visit: official programme is out
The Duke of Cambridge will be landing in Malta on Saturday afternoon and shuttled straight to San Anton Palace to meet the President of the Republic

Prince William?s visit: official programme is out - MaltaToday.com.mt

cinrit

QuoteTwo Opportunities for Public to See Prince William

Prince William, The Duke of Cambridge, will have two engagements tailored to meet the public during his brief visit to Malta today and tomorrow. 

He arrives this afternoon to represent the Queen at the 50th anniversary celebrations of Malta's Independence. The activities were due to have been attended by the Duchess of Cambridge, but her visit was called off because she is in the early stages of her second pregnancy.

This afternoon at 4.40 pm Prince William will be at St George's Square, Valletta where he will see an In Guardia re-enactment.  Tomorrow at 1.40pm the duke will be attending a Gozitan folklore performance in Vittoriosa Square.

His other engagements will include calls on President Marie-Louise Coleiro Preca (San Anton Palace) and Prime Minister Joseph Muscat at the Auberge de Castille.

More: Two opportunities for public to see Prince William - timesofmalta.com

Cindy

Double post auto-merged: September 20, 2014, 12:19:11 PM

QuotePalaces, Churches, Gardens and Fireworks: How Prince William Will Spend Whirlwind Trip to Malta as Island Celebrates Independence

Prince William has a hectic 24 hours ahead of him in Malta when the second in line to the throne steps in for the Duchess of Cambridge as the royal guest of honour as the island nation celebrates its 50th anniversary of Independence Day.

With his wife Kate unable to go through with her first official solo overseas visit due to the effects of acute morning sickness from their second pregnancy, Prince William has a busy schedule from the moment he lands in Malta on Saturday afternoon.

His first stop will be San Anton Palace, the official residence of the President of the Republic Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, where he will be staying. It is also where his grandmother, Queen Elizabeth II, stayed on her visit there in 2005.

As is tradition for a visiting head of state, the Duke of Cambridge will plant a tree in the Palace's extensive gardens, which have been open to the public since 1882. He will then be whisked to a series a landmarks, tourist attractions and official engagements.

More: Palaces, churches, gardens and fireworks: How Prince William will spend whirlwind trip to Malta as island celebrates independence | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

In All I Do

Prince William MIA_02 - YouTube

Does anyone else think that's Rebecca Deacon getting off the plane at 2:17?  I wonder if the last minute switch meant that she went rather than just do a last minute knowledge transfer with Miguel Head.

TLLK

I believe it is her and I agree that it would make sense to send the person who was already familiar with the itinerary etc..

BTW this was the first time I'd ever heard Maltese spoken. Truly  is a combination of various nearby languages. It sounded like Italian mixed with Arabic to me.

Lady Adams

In All I Do

The interesting thing about the crowds is that it's not just about William, unlike the Australia trip. This is about the country's independence and William's really a bit player. I think if people aren't interested in coming out to see William, well, fair play.. but if the don't come out to their own independence events, that's something different. There are people living who saw independence.

In short, it'll be interesting to see if everything is as sparsely attended as the Guardia Parade, I don't think that will be on William's head. And, if it's as sparse as the parade, I think we can safely call Malta the anti-Scotland. 

Double post auto-merged: September 20, 2014, 03:17:00 PM

Quote from: TLLK on September 20, 2014, 02:57:03 PM
I believe it is her and I agree that it would make sense to send the person who was already familiar with the itinerary etc..

BTW this was the first time I'd ever heard Maltese spoken. Truly  is a combination of various nearby languages. It sounded like Italian mixed with Arabic to me.

We were right, @TLLK - Victoria Murphy on Twitter: "William took a scheduled Air Malta flight, is accompanied by Kate's Private Secretary Rebecca Deacon and Sir David

TLLK

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 20, 2014, 03:04:17 PM
Oh dear...looks like people aren't interested in seeing Prince William:
Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Thousands of people have turned up in the main square William's visit to Malta... http://t.co/1CLC43eXwX"
A Malta resident just posted at TRF that the photo is not Valetta's main square but another one Piazza Regina.

Lady Adams

^^ :shrug: Not to be a jerk, @TLLK, but I trust a credited reporter over someone on another forum that claims to be from Malta. BUT! It does look like more people showed up, according to the same reporter: Emily Andrews on Twitter: "Wills works the crowds outside Malta's library. "Sorry Catherine can't be here. She's doing so-so".