Current and Former American Presidents and Families News and Chat

Started by TLLK, January 16, 2021, 02:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Jill Biden?s relationship with the Royal Family ? Royal Central The article reviews the future FLOTUS' relationship with the family most notably Prince Harry.  :happyuk: :happyusa:

Quotehe former Second Lady of the United States will become the First Lady when her husband, former Vice President and current President-elect Joe Biden takes the oath of office on 20 January. Prince Harry has grown close with the Bidens over the years, and in honour of the upcoming inauguration, Royal Central is taking a look at the future first lady?s relationship with Harry.

The Bidens first became acquainted with the Royal Family when Prince Harry visited the United States in 2013. Harry was attending a reception for US and British wounded soldiers when he met then-First Lady Michelle Obama and Second Lady Jill Biden.

TLLK

Gallery: President-elect Joe Biden meeting with royals over the years ? Royal Central

QuoteAs a career politician, Joe Biden has met many of the world?s royals during his time in public office. Before being elected as President of the United States, he previously served as the US Vice President under President Barack Obama from 2009 to 2017 and was a US Senator for Delaware from 1973 to 2009.

Ahead of his inauguration as the 46th President of the United States tomorrow, Royal Central takes a look at his meetings with the royals of the world.

The photos included show the incoming POTUS meeting with current and former reigning monarchs and non-reigning royals from Europe, Asia and the Middle East.

wannable

He and entourage will be travelling to UK this year from June 11-13, the POTUS first foreign trip, G7 in London.  HMQEII, Charles, Camilla, William and Kate will be hosting them. The UK government/monarchy have 3 months to fix the Sussex mess, as Biden's Comms Secretary (usually with his approval) congratulated Meghan and Harry for the trashing the BRF interview.

Today Biden's first Address to the Nation, he made Trump trending  :hehe: :teehee: :lol:
He took ''all the credit'' for the Covid19 vaccine saying he signed with pharmaceutical manufacturers to speed things up. But then we have TA-DA (interjection moment) the #woke #cancelculture brigade (it works both ways, no matter what) with receipts of Trumps Operation Warp Speed, the paper signing with pharmaceutical manufacturers, etc. And the multitude of #woke#cancelculture tweets of Biden/Harris tweeting for ''months'' (when in election campaign) to not trust the very same vaccine.

We live in an era of waking up to news of:
log onto the internet - their one form of communication - each day to find that someone or something has resigned/ lost job/ been cancelled.
Charlotte Gills, an ordinary human.

TLLK

The former POTUS will be celebrating his 60th birthday soon on the island of Martha's Vineyard. Strict COVID protocols will be in place.

Barack Obama to Celebrate His 60th Birthday with COVID-Safe Party | PEOPLE.com

FB
Tweet
Barack Obama Speaks At Georgia Get Out The Vote Rally With Senate Candidates
Barack Obama campaigns in Georgia in November
| Credit: Jessica McGowan/Getty

Barack Obama doesn't want any gifts for his 60th birthday, just a COVID-safe party and donations to the Obama Foundation's philanthropic projects.

"The Obamas are hosting a party to celebrate President Obama's 60th birthday with family, friends, and former staff," a source tells PEOPLE of the outdoor gathering taking place next weekend at the family's Martha's Vineyard estate.

Invitees have been advised that all guests will be required to undergo COVID testing and that the event will be overseen by a medical professional, who will ensure that all CDC, state, and local pandemic protocols are followed ? something the Obamas, Michelle Obama in particular, have been strict about.

TLLK

Today it was announced that the celebration would be scaled back due to the spread of the Delta Variant.

Obama cancels 60th birthday bash on Martha?s Vineyard, citing spread of delta variant - The Washington Post

QuoteFormer president Barack Obama has decided to significantly scale back a celebrity-studded 60th birthday bash planned for Saturday on Martha?s Vineyard, citing the spread of the delta variant of the coronavirus, a spokeswoman said Wednesday.

?The outdoor event was planned months ago in accordance with all public guidelines and covid safeguards in place,? Hannah Hankins, a spokeswoman for the former president, said in a statement. ?Due to the new spread of the Delta variant over the past week, the President and Mrs. Obama have decided to significantly scale back the event to include only family and close friends.?

Hankins added that Obama is ?appreciative of others sending their birthday wishes from afar and looks forward to seeing people soon.?

wannable

I don't understand why people decide to make a lie. I don't know if there will be a super spreader of 500 guests, but it's not as the previous to the latest news that Obama spokesperson - cut down the amount of people to family and intimate friends. The aerial views of the humongous tents, delivery trucks, celebrities and politicians descending Martha's Vineyard is not exactly family and intimate. 

wannable

Obamas didn't invite the Sussexes to Barack's 60th birthday party because 'they will go towards William' amid rift and can 'see through' the duchess, Prince Harry's biographer claims

The Obamas didn't invite Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to Barack's 60th birthday party because 'they will go towards William' amid the family's rift, Prince Harry's biographer Angela Levin has claimed.

TLLK

Unless Ms. Levin has seen the original guest list, I'll have to consider her claim to be speculation.

wannable

Apparently the list was leaked. Total of 475 people (various sources with the list), the Sussexes didn't appear in it. The rest of her story may be a mix match of imagination.

Curryong

Angela Levin has been bitter and twisted about Meghan marrying Harry (and doubtless spoiling her chances with more bios and exclusive access to Harry and the younger royals) since Meghan arrived in the UK before her engagement. She has not said one nice word about her for about three years now and her vitriol in interviews, articles and docos never stops. She is in many ways worse than Piers Morgan and that?s saying something!
As for the Obamas being closer to the Cambridges as she asserts, who is Levin kidding! The Obamas have met them about twice!

According to the Guardian the original guest list for the Obama bash was 700 people. Many guests dropped out due to the pandemic and the Obamas cut more. Nobody knows who was on the original list, it had all been guesswork.

PrincessOfPeace

I don't really care who's closer lol. The Cambridges first met the Obamas at BP in 2011 and hosted them for a dinner at KP some years later.

It was just months ago Barack Obama formerly endorsed William's Earthshot Prize.

I don't think William and Catherine are too concerned. It all seems rather small.

Curryong

And nor are the Sussexes concerned. The only people who seem to be jumping up and down with glee about the Sussexes not attending a birthday bash with an unknown number of original guests are the British tabloid journalists and commentators.

Meghan?s 40th birthday which coincided with the event was celebrated in her own home with family and friends. There was no need to later journey across a continent to celebrate another person?s birthday with a load of guests they don?t know.

wannable

Nobody knows if the Sussexes were devastated or not. Getting an invitation from the Obamas is a big deal in the USA.  The leaked list of 475 guests, they weren't there.

TLLK

Former POTUS Barack Obama has tested positive for COVID. I hope that he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Obama has tested positive for COVID : NPR

QuoteFormer President Barack Obama says he has tested positive for COVID-19.

"I just tested positive for COVID," he wrote on Twitter on Sunday. "I've had a scratchy throat for a couple days, but am feeling fine otherwise. Michelle and I are grateful to be vaccinated and boosted, and she has tested negative. It's a reminder to get vaccinated if you haven't already, even as cases go down."

A 2010 White House doctor's report found Obama was in "excellent health" but was encouraged to give up smoking.

TLLK

President and First Lady Biden have issued a statement acknowledging their seventh grandchild.

President Biden Speaks Out on Hunter's Child, 4, with Arkansas Woman (Exclusive)

QuotePresident Joe Biden has offered his first statement on 4-year-old grandchild Navy Joan Roberts, the daughter of Hunter Biden and Lunden Roberts, an Arkansas woman who filed a paternity suit against the president's son in May 2019.

?Our son Hunter and Navy?s mother, Lunden, are working together to foster a relationship that is in the best interests of their daughter, preserving her privacy as much as possible going forward," President Biden said in a statement provided exclusively to PEOPLE.

Navy, one of the president's seven grandchildren, has recently been the subject of headlines as Republicans have criticized the president for previously touting his "six grandchildren."

"This is not a political issue, it?s a family matter," President Biden's statement continues. "Jill and I only want what is best for all of our grandchildren, including Navy.?

Nightowl

Yes it is a family issue yet Hunter is using his father's position to enhance his life and make as much money as he can while his dad is still president, and dad/mom don't get it or see it.  Feelings for our children when they do something unethical  often  makes us blind as I well know. Learned those lessons the very hard way and will not let that happen again.  Tough ole mom here whose son just sent her pizza all the way from TX.....that is a feat...LOL.

TLLK

Wow! The pizza came from TEXAS??? That is a feat and a treat!

Curryong

Contrary to this article?s conclusions  I don?t believe that Hunter Biden is a spotless Angel in any form. Far from it. However, it does point out that troublesome relatives have been a Presidential tradition since almost the beginning. I remember Billy Carter being rather a nuisance. for instance.

Problematic Relatives: A True American Political Tradition ? NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

?In other cases, the scandals now seem in hindsight to be more of a window into the quant social standards of the time. Teddy Roosevelt's daughter Alice was a controversy magnet for her father's entire tenure in office. Her supposed crimes: smoking in public, swearing and showing up at parties with her pet snake. Wead's favorite Alice Roosevelt anecdote: At one point the president said his daughter could not smoke inside the White House, so Alice called a news conference on the White House roof and smoked there.?

TLLK

Since the start of the 20th century, many of the children of a sitting POTUS have been subjects of media attention especially if they're children, teens or young adults. I would say from about Harry Truman to the present, there's been far more coverage due to advent of television coverage. Those that were under eighteen at the time of their fathers' term of office have had some more protection due to their age, but afterwards they've tended to be under more scrutiny.

Based on my observations, most living POTUS and FLOTUS seem to have cordial relationships with each other though I don't believe that entirely extends to Donald and Melania. The children of the former POTUS seem to be very protective of each other in their exclusive "club" especially the Clinton-GWBush-Obama daughters.

As for little Navy Roberts, honestly I believe that much of this discussion about her being a Biden grandchild would have been a non-story if  the White House had been a little more proactive. I believe that Joe Biden should have not repeatedly specified that he had "six" grandchildren that he loved.

TLLK

Former First Lady Roslyn Carter has passed away at the age of 96.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67467831

QuoteFormer US First Lady Rosalynn Carter, the wife of ex-President Jimmy Carter, has died at the age of 96.

The Carter Center confirmed in a statement that she died peacefully with her family by her side.

On Friday, it was reported that she had entered a hospice care home in the state of Georgia, and was spending time with her 99-year-old husband, who has been in hospice care since February.

Mrs Carter was diagnosed with dementia in May.

The longest-married first couple marked their 77th wedding anniversary in July.

"Rosalynn was my equal partner in everything I ever accomplished," said Mr Carter in the statement.

"She gave me wise guidance and encouragement when I needed it. As long as Rosalynn was in the world, I always knew somebody loved and supported me."

Mrs Carter was born Eleanor Rosalynn Smith on 18 August 1927.

Nightowl

That is very sad as I always like the Carter's, he seemed like such a kind, warm man as did is wife.  Now I wonder how long before he passes as she was a loving wife to him.