Author Topic: How Many Royal Married Ins Worked Before Marriage?  (Read 265 times)

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
How Many Royal Married Ins Worked Before Marriage?
« on: December 19, 2017, 08:38:08 PM »
I am not knowledgeable of other Monarchies but with Kate's lazy insistence of avoiding work I was thinking about how many others there are like her, Male or Female.

If they weren't born from a royal dynasty could someone list others considered lazy by the people? Such as Stephanie of Luxembourg. (I am not sure if she was born royal or not though)

:thanks:  for any information    :blowkiss:

Offline Trudie

• Diana-ites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    82%
    • Favorite royal: Diana
Re: How Many Royal Married Ins Worked Before Marriage?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:53:54 AM »
Well you left out Camilla Shand Parker Bowles unless you consider being a mistress hard work :lmao2: :lmao2: :shame:

The following users thanked this post: Kritter

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 03:37:54 AM »
^ If they were married in & not royal they most likely all got there with those abilities.    :lol:

I think most worked before their marriages, so I was wondering about those that didn't since their abilities to work would show even after marriage. You are right though Camilla has lived off of men since she nailed APB.   :random39:

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
Was Mathilde of Belgium a royal before marriage? Did she have a career? Is she a hard working royal?    :vday3:

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:34:17 PM »
No she was not a royal but her family had an aristocratic background. She was trained as a speech therapist and worked in a practice. She went on to earn her Master's Degree in Speech Pathology after she married Phillipe, then Duke of Brabant. The couple were together for some time before their engagement was announced, but their  engagement came as a surprise.

As for being "hard working" I'd say that she did about the same amount of engagements and activities as her  peers who are married to the heir (Camilla, Mary, Mette Marit, Daniel, Maxima etc...). Now that she is the Queen of the Belgians, I'd say she's on par with her peers who are married to the monarch. She is the mother of four children, the eldest is the heir to the throne Elisabeth, the Duchess of Brabant. At 16 she is  still in school and only makes occasional appearances.

The Belgian monarchy currently has three adults who work full time performing engagements: King Phillipe, Queen Mathilde, Princess Astrid (Phillipe's sister). Phillipe's parents King Albert and Queen Paola are mostly retired. Phillipe's brother Prince Laurent is not really performing engagements anymore but his wife Claire does on occasion.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium - Wikipedia

Belgian Royal Family | Unofficial Royalty :xmas4:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:42:13 PM by TLLK »

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »
I have been reading up on Spain. Letizia seems to be a real wife to Felipe. The family seems to have trouble accepting her but she is now Queen. Was a news person before marriage & has two daughters. She seems to do a lot for the Monarchy.

Am I right? Please add anything.    :thanks:

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    74%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
The Spanish Royal family, or at least Juan Carlos, did have trouble accepting Letizia, who was a divorcee and a very well known newscaster, journalist and on occasion war correspondent. Juan Carlos had convinced ideas about royalty and that was that they should marry royalty, or at least people of the noblest blood. His own marriage had been semi-arranged, because of course Sofia had been a princess of the Hellenes (Greece) and had been made miserable by his infidelity.

It was only after Felipe went to his father one last time to have it out, and if he'd failed, hand over a note abdicating from the position as heir and Prince of Asturias, that JC gave in. (He had no other sons and his own brother had been killed by JC in a gun accident when they were young.)

I think Letizia does a fantastic job as Queen Consort and support to her husband. I wouldn't say she was popular with the whole Spanish population, there's a republican element, an independence movement in Catalonia, and also very conservative sections of the populations for whom she can do nothing right. However, she and Felipe have shored the monarchy up in Spain since their accession IMO.

The following users thanked this post: TLLK, Kritter

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »
I have been reading up on Spain. Letizia seems to be a real wife to Felipe. The family seems to have trouble accepting her but she is now Queen. Was a news person before marriage & has two daughters. She seems to do a lot for the Monarchy.

Am I right? Please add anything.    :thanks:
Personally I really like this couple and believe that both are doing an excellent job in a rather stressful situation. Felipe knows all too well that the monarchy's popular revival was largely due to his father's actions against a coup in the 1980's,though some of JC's recent actions led to his abdication and Felipe's enthronement.   Letizia one of the "controversial choices" from the late 90's and early 2000's which included: Mette-Marit and Maxima too. Why was she controversial, because according to the tabloids for some in Spain they were not happy with someone who was a public figure, previously married, and according to her extended family had previously been an atheist and an avowed republican. (IVHMO the pink press were FURIOUS that they had never been able to scoop the story that they were dating.  :lol: This couple's engagement came as a complete surprise!) Letizia and Meghan actually have some things in common. Each graduated from good universities. :)  Both were known from their television careers. Each had to take religious instruction before their weddings. They're both divorced. They're petite and slim.  :) They each have embarrassing extended family members who are more than happy to chat with the press.  :( Depending upon what region of the nation that you live in, Felipe is favorably or unfavorably viewed by the public. Letizia is less favorably viewed by others though. From what I can gather, she's considered a bit cold and too much of a perfectionist. Their daughters' privacy is fiercely guarded from the press  :thumbsup: and they make one or two appearances a year at national events and there is typically one/two photoshoots a year. They're always immaculately dressed and impeccably groomed.

Letizia was initially warmly welcomed by Felipe's mother Queen Sofia,  sister Infanta Cristina and brother-in-law Inkai. Inaki actually went to the jewelers to purchase and pick up Letizia's engagement ring to help keep the engagement under wraps. :) At the beginning the couple were met with some resistance from Juan Carlos, older sister Infanta Elena and her then husband Jaime. Interestingly though JC and Letizia are described as having very similar temperaments and personalities with both apparently having a very large and colorful vocabulary.  :wink: However over time the earlier relationships seemed to shift with some estrangement developing between Cristina/Inaki and Felipe/Letizia. Why, because of the Noos scandal that engulfed Inaki and Cristina. The two couples appear to be now more or less permanently estranged with Felipe having to completely distance himself from his disgraced sister and brother-in-law. (Letizia no longer wears her engagement ring apparently because Inaki used funds from the Noos to pay for it.) The remaining family members are now in an uncomfortable situation that saw no one from Cristina's family at Felipe's enthronement ceremonies.

Since her marriage Letizia has had to deal with a major tragedy in her life. Her younger sister Erika committed suicide in 2007. Letizia's parents divorced when she was in high school, but appear to have been a supportive family to her. However this loss was a terrible strain on all. From all accounts Letizia's in-laws were very supportive during this episode in her life.

So that's the Letizia story in a nutshell.

The following users thanked this post: Curryong, Kritter

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    8%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 01:31:39 AM »
I thought that Botht Juan Carlos AND Sophia were not keen on Letizia, because largely of class.. and I suppose her non religious background and divorce didn't help.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 03:03:32 AM »
I thought that Botht Juan Carlos AND Sophia were not keen on Letizia, because largely of class.. and I suppose her non religious background and divorce didn't help.
From what I have read it was mostly JC because Sofia is especially fond of her son Felipe.  Also she was likely happy that he didn't end up with a lingerie model like Isabel Sartoris.  :) However it is true that when their children  came of age, their parents were receptive to the idea of them pairing up with other royals from reigning and non-reigning Catholic dynasties.

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    8%
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:50:45 PM »
I did read an interview with Sophia a while ago. I don't remember it very well but I I think she revealed farily conservative views) which seemed to indicate that she got on well with Letizia.  But of course that could be politic, as I'm sure they don't want to refer to any internal family disputes and I tink it was before the  problems with the daughter and husband....
But I suppose it is possilbel that pragmatically, she wanted Felipe to marry a princess, and someone with no divorce etc  in her past, but when he was clearly set on LEtizia, made the best of it and gets on ok with her...now that they are members of the same family....

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline royalanthropologist

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:01 PM »
I think that there is always a conservative element of Spanish society for whom Letizia can do no right. However, on balance I do feel she is doing a great job. I have not seen or heard her put a foot wrong. Sophia is a tough on to read. A bit like queen Mary, always a queen in public and private. You don't get much out of her. Even her smiles seem measured and polite, if anything.

In terms of working, I am convinced that working is very good for the soul particularly before joining a royal institution. The experience and people skills can be invaluable.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    8%
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 01:11:16 PM »
I'm sure Letizia is not overly popular with conservative elements in Spanish society, because of her beig divorced, coming from a modest background, and she seems to have only been baptised when she got married. Other than the obvious I don't know anything about her.
But I have read that JC and Sophia weren't initially happy with Felipe choosing a middle class girl and would have preferred him to go for another royal.

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
I think that after the drama in the BRF, many royal houses in Europe took note and were very wary about bringing in people who were not prepared or suited to the role. The fear of commoners is not only with Sophia. I hear even the queen of Norway had some misgivings about Mette Marrit. Interestingly both these princesses turned out to do just fine. I particularly like Mette...so friendly, warm and modest.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    8%
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 05:51:12 PM »
?   I doubt if it had anting to do with the BRF.  esp when so many future Kings have married middle class girls, in the past years, including Mette Marit who has had a very bohemian past.  I don't know how popular she is in Norway, I know that there were certainly people who felt that someone who is going to be a socially prominent, and representative figure for their country, it is not going to work, if she has had a past of "rebelling against society".
Sophia as far as I can see is a conservative woman and a royal, and I doubt if she was too keen on Letizia, because of her class, her having had a career as  a reporter (royals don't usually like reporters) and her divorce.  however she may have grown to like her....

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:25:28 PM »
Mette Marrit has shown that it is possible to start out as a rebel and then end up being one of the most competent and effective crown princesses of Europe. I actually like her quite a lot. The one that leaves me cold is Princess Mary. For whatever reason, I always got the impression that her husband is far kinder than she is.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 11:29:52 PM »
I'm sure Letizia is not overly popular with conservative elements in Spanish society, because of her beig divorced, coming from a modest background, and she seems to have only been baptised when she got married. Other than the obvious I don't know anything about her.
But I have read that JC and Sophia weren't initially happy with Felipe choosing a middle class girl and would have preferred him to go for another royal.
@amabel-AFAIK Letizia was baptized and might have also had her First Confession/ First Communion, the sacrament that she was missing was her confirmation. From what I gather, her family was not overtly religious but in the 1970's and 1980's I believe that like most Spanish Catholic children she would have received the first few sacraments because it was a social expectation.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 03:01:03 AM »
What about Maxima?

She seems to be a bubbly Princess with her own sense of style.     :thanks:

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 06:43:08 AM »
Maxima Zorrigueta was one of Europe's more controversial royal brides in recent years, but not because of her own actions. Her father, the late Jorge Zorrigueta was the Minister of Agriculture for the repressive Videlia regime in Argentina. The Dutch government was unsure if they could give consent for the couple to marry, if Mr. Zorrigueta was going to be present at his daughter's wedding. The compromise that was reached was that the bride's father would not attend the state wedding of the Prince of Orange and Maxima Zorrigueta. Maxima's mother chose not to attend, but soon after her parents came to the Netherlands to visit the couple.

Maxima was the eldest child of Jorge and Carmen Zorrigueta. She has three elder sisters from her father's first marriage and two younger siblings.  She is a native of Buenos Aries and attended an English speaking high school before going on to university. She was living in New York when she met Willem Alexander (the Prince of Orange) at a spring fair in Valencia, Spain. He was initially annoyed that a young woman was taking photos, but later the two starting conversing and decided to meet in a few weeks time in NYC. The couple continued their long distance relationship, until another banking position was found for Maxima in Brussels, Belgium. It was there that she began learning Dutch. In January 2001 W-A proposed (in English) while the couple were ice skating and he offered her a custom engagement ring that featured an orange diamond as its center stone. The couple's engagement was announced on national television in March 2001 and the couple did speak to the controversy surrounding Maxima's father. It was here that the Dutch first heard Maxima speaking in Dutch. The couple did also address a rather foolish comment that had been made by W-A regarding Maxima's father and the Videla regime. Maxima described his comments as "a little bit stupid."

The couple undertook a tour of the provinces of the Netherlands and were married on 2-2-2002 in Amsterdam. First married civilly at City Hall by the mayor and then in a Dutch Reformed ceremony at the New Church. As it was a state wedding, the invited guests included members of the government and other heads of state.

Maxima was given the opportunity to adapt to her new nation and despite some initial grumbling that the couple were not seen too often, they've undertaken many visits on behalf of the government and then Queen Beatrix. Their first child Catherina-Amalia was born in December 2003 to be followed by her sisters Alexia and Arianne. They're sometimes known as the AAA team which is a nickname their father gave them. W-A and Maxima fiercely guard their daughters' privacy and established the Dutch Media Code to protect them. (No photos to be taken of the couple or their children while they're on private time without express permission from the parents.) Those who do not obey the Media Code are not invited to the twice annual photoshoots and this couple has won more than one lawsuit against tabloids who choose to publish photos that violate the Media Code. (Money is donated to charity.)

She's known for her vibrant smile, outgoing personality and love of colorful accessories and eclectic fashion sense.  :) The Dutch royals are known as a very tight knit group and are very supportive of each other.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:47:24 AM by TLLK »

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 05:59:20 AM »
What does anyone know about Mette-Marit? I have been reading about the Norwegians & she seems to have a lot of health problems.    :thanks:

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #21 on: Today at 03:28:26 AM »
One can't learn much from a propaganda site but   :thanks:   anyway.

Offline TLLK

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Gal power!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Today at 04:42:14 AM »
@Kritter-Sorry but my knowledge about Mette Marit is fairly rusty at this point in time as she is not someone that I've regularly followed over the years.  The Norwegian Royal Site was the first place that I thought of for some factual background information on the Crown Princess. Perhaps @Curryong might know a little more than I do and can share her knowledge of MM.  :)

Online Curryong

• Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    74%
    • Favorite royal: The Queen and Prince Harry
« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:14:00 AM »
I know nuffink TLLK, compared to your encyclopedic knowledge of the European royals. However, this may be of some interest.

Norway shooting: Princess Mette-Marit sobs for hero stepbrother Trond Berntsen | Daily Mail Online

Much of what I've gathered over the years about MM has been gossip. How she came to Australia as an exchange student, started various post-school educational programmes with an eye to going to university, didn't complete any of them, drifted into a pretty wild scene (or as wild as anything in Norway is going to get) and had a child while doing a spot of waitressing. Her son Marius is now 21 (this month) is in the US and some girls regard him as rather gorgeous.

At the time of the marriage to Haakon in 2001, many older, more conservative Norwegians didn't like her background at all (there was a bit of drug-taking among friends and acquaintances of MM and her ex boyfriend and of course there was Marius to contend with as well.) Mette Marit went on national TV before the wedding and was tearful and explained that she'd been wild but had now got over it, and I have to say both she and Marius's father have really knuckled down in the years since Marius's birth.

The Norwegian royal house apparently didn't have any objections to MM. King Harald and Queen Sonja are very lenient and tolerant because they had to wait for about 100 years before they were allowed to wed, and there's a fair bit of eccentricity in the family anyway, with Marthe, Haakon's sister, being very New Age and believing in Angels on your shoulders and such. Her ex husband, Ari Behn, an author, wasn't really what you'd expect a Scandi princess to marry either, and he's got an odd background as well.

Apparently after meeting briefly on the odd occasion at music festivals and such, Mette Marit and Haakon met at the Quart Rock festival and started dating. Haakon was and is goodlooking, and apparently MM was all starry eyed about meeting him. She was stunning herself. Her veil and gown as a bride was absolutely gorgeous in my opinion.

In the years since MM has been to uni and completed a Master's, hooray, and apart from a few eccentricities like flying off to India to babysit a couple's children because she felt sorry for them, and she and Haakon getting into a bit of trouble a few years back about borrowing a wealthy acquaintance's yacht for a short holiday (a no no for the downto earth Norwegians) she hasnt caused much controversy.

There was a lot of gossip about her slipping away to New York a lot several years ago and people on other forums said she had got friendly with a wealthy American male. There was no evidence for that, mind you. For years and years she has had problems with her back and neck which seems to have prevented her from flying much any more and she has been hospitalised at times for this. She was very sporty and outdoorsy when young and she still does some of that skiing, hiking stuff with Haakon.

Unkind people, but not me, have hinted that sometimes when a duty comes up she doesn't want to do MM develops really bad neck pain. Haakon is very tolerant and like his dad and still absolutely adores her. Her daughter Ingrid Alexander seems a lovely girl but people keep saying that her younger brother is spoiled or has something wrong with him. Again no proof.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #24 on: Today at 09:27:06 AM »
 :thanks:

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites