Author Topic: A 'Lasting Tribute'  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
Re: A 'Lasting Tribute'
« Reply #175 on: January 12, 2018, 06:21:09 PM »
Rebecca English
‏Verified account @RE_DailyMail

Think this will fall in the ?about time too? category, but @Harrods are returning the golden memorial statue to Princess Diana and Dodi Al Fayed, to his father, Mohammed Al Fayed. They say with a new statue endorsed by William and Harry due at KP, it?s an ?appropriate moment?.

Offline Duch_Luver_4ever

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
    • Favorite royal: Diana, Princess of Wales
« Reply #176 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:33 PM »
He sold Harrods a while ago, they should be returned to him. Its for the boys to have a tribute to Diana. He was certainly entitled to memorialize his son at Harrod's but I always found his "tribute" to both of them gaudy and presumptuous on his part to as far as Diana was concerned.

Had that money been spent on her security, it might not have needed to be spent on a memorial to begin with.

At best, he was a cheap, greedy oaf who wanted to ride Diana's coattails to english society, at worst, he was in on the plot to have her rubbed out(if thats what happened). Either way, he has much to answer for.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

The following users thanked this post: TLLK

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2018, 04:32:00 AM »
He lost his oldest son, give the man a break. He already paid dearly.

The following users thanked this post: Kritter

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #178 on: January 13, 2018, 06:48:08 AM »
Harrods return Diana and Dodi shrine to Mohamed al Fayed | Daily Mail Online

A fountain with pictures of Diana and Dodi al Fayed was built in at the London store, shortly after the couple's death in a Paris car crash in 1997.

Ten years later a statue of the pair holding a dove, named Innocent Victims was erected nearby to complete the memorial.     

Mr Al Fayed claims that Prince Philip 'ordered' the car crash which killed Diana and Dodi.

The shrine to his son and Diana sparked outrage among the royal family but became a popular attraction for tourists and people who wished to pay their respects.

Now, Harrods, who are under Qatari owners after the Egyptian tycoon sold the Knightsbridge store, have announced they will be returning the memorial to the former Fulham FC owner.

I agree @sandy & MAF or Dodi are the two of the three people in this world that cannot be blamed for the accident. To blame MAF is the same as saying he wanted his Son dead & to blame Diana or Dodi is like saying they committed suicide. If that were the case then everyone that dies in a car crash were either committing suicide or their parents had them killed. Stupid thinking for anyone agreeing with that logic IMO.

Some just look for any little thing to push the blame that belong to others on Diana.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:55:08 AM by Kritter »

Offline Trudie

• Diana-ites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    82%
    • Favorite royal: Diana
« Reply #179 on: January 13, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »
He sold Harrods a while ago, they should be returned to him. Its for the boys to have a tribute to Diana. He was certainly entitled to memorialize his son at Harrod's but I always found his "tribute" to both of them gaudy and presumptuous on his part to as far as Diana was concerned.

Had that money been spent on her security, it might not have needed to be spent on a memorial to begin with.

At best, he was a cheap, greedy oaf who wanted to ride Diana's coattails to english society, at worst, he was in on the plot to have her rubbed out(if thats what happened). Either way, he has much to answer for.

I think it is presumptuous of you to infer that MAF was in on the plot to have Diana rubbed out. MAF had told Dodi to stay put that night Dodi ignored him from all accounts. I agree MAF should have provided more efficient security however that night it was Dodi calling the shots and they were under the impression MAF approved his plans. Yes MAF badly wanted to become a part of English society and saw Diana as a possible way but he like the Spencer's suffered an immense loss that night. It was grief and anger that motivated him.

The following users thanked this post: sandy, Kritter

Offline royalanthropologist

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
  • Fair and Balanced...to an extent
    • Favorite royal: Camilla Shand, Duchess of Cornwall
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Of course Dodi and Diana did not want to die in an accident. Neither did anyone (including MAF) want that end for them. However, we all take reasonable precautions to prevent preventable mishaps. Some of the precautions would include not inviting the press to holiday, certainly not going on a wild goose chase with them and not entering a faulty car driven by a drunk driver. That is not even mentioning arranging for appropriate security given the profile of at least one of the parties.

As for the tribute, I think the statute idea is far better. There was always something tacky about the original MAF tribute in my opinion.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

The following users thanked this post: Duch_Luver_4ever

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2018, 06:24:22 PM »
No they did not "ask for it."   What really killed Diana was putting her into that ambulance that took forever to get her to the hospital. She had to get there immediately, because she was bleeding to death. Maybe ask what sort of shoddy medical practices went on over there.

ANd many details are not known because the security guard has amnesia.

The following users thanked this post: Trudie, Kritter

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
^ Like I said in my previous post.   :nod:

Most likely TPTB created the incident because Charles is such a weak little man & they knew he would continue to come up with stupid plans & needed protection.

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »
This entirely preventable accident was poor decision making on Diana, Dodi and MAF's part. An investigation including experienced judges and police officers debunked all the conspiracy theories.  They would never have been in that position with a bit of sense and caution.

MAF wanted to get one over the British aristocracy and ended up with a dead son. The post-accident behavior of MAF was unbecoming, accusing people of murder with not a shred of evidence. He just wanted to deflect his own responsibility.

Then the tacky MAF memorials started until someone finally had the courage to say no thank you.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Offline Trudie

• Diana-ites
  • Forum Nobility
  • Activity:
    82%
    • Favorite royal: Diana
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
That night was not the poor decision making of MAF or Diana. The poor decision making was done by Dodi alone. MAF had told Dodi to stay at the Ritz Dodi in an effort to impress Diana ignored the order calling for Henri Paul and devising the plan to leave.

I agree MAF became unhinged with grief but again he did lose his child. MAF was no more to blame than Prince Philip. Philip may be   a gaffe prone oaf but to say he ordered a Hit on the mother of his grandsons is beyond the pale. Philip adores William and Harry and that has always been apparent he would never want to cause them pain.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2018, 11:08:53 PM »
This thread is about a tribute in the form of a statue.   :liberty:

It is a shame that Diana detractors use every thread as a way to bash Diana to satisfy their need to talk badly about a deceased person.

The following users thanked this post: sandy

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
Re: A \'Lasting Tribute\'
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »
Thought police again? I thought we had been through that. This thread is actually about a "dead person".  :notamused:

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2018, 11:45:01 PM

That night was not the poor decision making of MAF or Diana. The poor decision making was done by Dodi alone. MAF had told Dodi to stay at the Ritz Dodi in an effort to impress Diana ignored the order calling for Henri Paul and devising the plan to leave.

I agree MAF became unhinged with grief but again he did lose his child. MAF was no more to blame than Prince Philip. Philip may be   a gaffe prone oaf but to say he ordered a Hit on the mother of his grandsons is beyond the pale. Philip adores William and Harry and that has always been apparent he would never want to cause them pain.

I do agree that for that night Dodi who made the decisions and changed the routines. The move from the ritz was inexplicable. If you are being hounded by paparazzi, the best place to hide is in a hotel that you have been eating in, especially when owned by your dad.

What really annoyed me at the time was the idea that just because MAF was grieving, all the rubbish he was spouting had to be given credence. I can only imagine DOE's private comments given his history of colourful language.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 11:45:01 PM by royalanthropologist »

Offline amabel

• Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    8%
    • Favorite royal: Anne Boleyn
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2018, 11:52:04 PM »
wel that's what MAF said afterwards, that he'd told Dodi to stay.. but its generally felt that Dodi tended to obey him because he paid the bills.. so if he had insisted on their staying, I think D would have given way.  He wasn't keen on the paparazzi, and was unnerved by them.  Or MAF could have said that if they did have to go to D's flat, he would provide them iwht more security.  Two men and an untrained driver were not enough...

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »
I remember the first tribute he made. It looked so tacky but I thought "they have not had enough time to do this". Then it remained and he moved into the "Dodi & Diana" show which culminated in that public hearing which was excruciating.

I have to say the British establishment have a good way of giving you enough rope to hang yourself. Those officers and judges clinically answered the conspiracy theories without giving any indication of how ridiculous they were. They just forensically unpacked all the myths and MAF was left with the "We was robbed" defense.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2018, 01:56:57 AM »
wel that's what MAF said afterwards, that he'd told Dodi to stay.. but its generally felt that Dodi tended to obey him because he paid the bills.. so if he had insisted on their staying, I think D would have given way.  He wasn't keen on the paparazzi, and was unnerved by them.  Or MAF could have said that if they did have to go to D's flat, he would provide them iwht more security.  Two men and an untrained driver were not enough...

When TPTB want someone dead it is going to happen no matter what.

Now back to the statue     :liberty:

The following users thanked this post: sandy, Trudie

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
Re: A \\\'Lasting Tribute\\\'
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2018, 02:08:08 AM »
I remember the first tribute he made. It looked so tacky but I thought "they have not had enough time to do this". Then it remained and he moved into the "Dodi & Diana" show which culminated in that public hearing which was excruciating.

I have to say the British establishment have a good way of giving you enough rope to hang yourself. Those officers and judges clinically answered the conspiracy theories without giving any indication of how ridiculous they were. They just forensically unpacked all the myths and MAF was left with the "We was robbed" defense.

There were still  some unanswered questions that remain.

Why were the cameras turned off>

Where did the flash of light come from (that might have temporarily impaired Paul's vision)?

What did the bodyguard know before he got amnesia?

Why was DIana placed in the overly slow ambulance?

Why was Diana immediately embalmed?

How come a "drunk" driver was allowed to take the wheel?

What happened to the driver of the Fiat Uno that cut them off?

Of course the British establishment won't bother with this.

Double post auto-merged: January 14, 2018, 02:09:26 AM

Thought police again? I thought we had been through that. This thread is actually about a "dead person".  :notamused:

Double post auto-merged: January 13, 2018, 11:45:01 PM

I do agree that for that night Dodi who made the decisions and changed the routines. The move from the ritz was inexplicable. If you are being hounded by paparazzi, the best place to hide is in a hotel that you have been eating in, especially when owned by your dad.

What really annoyed me at the time was the idea that just because MAF was grieving, all the rubbish he was spouting had to be given credence. I can only imagine DOE's private comments given his history of colourful language.

Who cares what the DOE's private comments are? He's not a saint IMO.

Double post auto-merged: January 14, 2018, 02:12:16 AM

This entirely preventable accident was poor decision making on Diana, Dodi and MAF's part. An investigation including experienced judges and police officers debunked all the conspiracy theories.  They would never have been in that position with a bit of sense and caution.

MAF wanted to get one over the British aristocracy and ended up with a dead son. The post-accident behavior of MAF was unbecoming, accusing people of murder with not a shred of evidence. He just wanted to deflect his own responsibility.

Then the tacky MAF memorials started until someone finally had the courage to say no thank you.

Dodi was calling the shots. Blaming DIana for her own death is wrong.

Analyzing what "should" have happened is Kismet.

If Charles had not clung to Camilla after his engagement to Diana, she probably would not have been with Dodi that night.

Matchmaking Diana and Dodi did not mean a forced marriage. And it is harsh to say he was "punished" by his son dying. Very harsh indeed. DIana probably would not have married him anyway.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:12:16 AM by sandy »

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2018, 02:12:40 AM »
Nobody was interested in the death of Diana and Dodi. They were not really that important to the people who could order an assassination. Dating Dodi was nothing new to BRF. She had dated the likes of Hewitt and nobody was really bothered about her affairs, particularly after the divorce.  If anything, it was them that were writing their own destiny. But again, to this very day there are conspiracy theories about landing on the moon and 911 so perhaps those will never die.

As for MAF statute: tacky, tacky, tacky.

DOE: World is not made of saints and sinners. Most people lie in between. Even those who are not saints, have a right not be accused of things they have not done.  Of course DOE had the right to be outraged. Some silly man was accusing him of murder with not a shred of evidence. In any other country and with any other person, an expensive libel suit would be in order. You can't go around accusing people of serious crimes just because it tickles your fancy. MAF was a crackpot and shame on journalists for giving him air.

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2018, 02:16:02 AM »
So you speak for everybody and say nobody was interested? Speak for yourself. Obviously people were and are interested in Diana. And they were interested in her dating Dodi.

Charles wasn't bothered it gave him quality time with Camilla and Janet Jenkins.

The MAF statue IMO is less tacky than much of the antics of C and C.

DOE has made bigoted comments and never apologized.  I won't even write some of the offensive things he said.

The following users thanked this post: Trudie, Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2018, 02:32:30 AM »
Her fans were interested but the people that really make the decisions in this country were not bothered. She was relatively small fish. There would be no constitutional or security risks to the monarchy if she dated Dodi. Just some people trying to exaggerate her importance to the British establishment. An ex-wife of POW is not really important to the extent that anyone in government would want her assassinated. Of course if she continued with her press intrigues and it became dangerous, things could change but there is absolutely no evidence that this what happened.

Whatever comments he has made, DOE has a right not be accused by some crackpot of serious crimes without a shred of evidence.

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2018, 02:35:50 AM »
You think she was "small fish." Makes me wonder why all those people line up to see the costume exhibit about Diana and tours go there. And there were waiting lists to get into the traveling Diana exhibit. ANd many books about her even those who loathe her like Penny Junor.

She still was the mother of a future King. and her sons talk about her and she will be in royal bloodlines forevermore.

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #195 on: January 14, 2018, 02:40:38 AM »
Threats to the British government are not measured by how many people attend an auction or even popularity ratings. Nobody is disputing that Diana was popular. She was just not a threat to the British government at the time of her death. That was just "she was so important" BS put out by conspiracy theorists. It is like saying Mandela or Michael Jackson was killed because they were popular.

There have been many, many "mothers of future kings" and many more to come. Establishment has no interest in assassinating them. She was small fish when it comes to being a threat to the state.

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #196 on: January 14, 2018, 02:44:46 AM »
Camilla is not one of the mothers of future Kings and never will be.

I will always find many odd things about that night in Paris. Including the fact that Diana was bleeding to death and it took valuable time to even start getting her out of that car.

Offline Kritter

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2018, 02:45:06 AM »
You think she was "small fish." Makes me wonder why all those people line up to see the costume exhibit about Diana and tours go there. And there were waiting lists to get into the traveling Diana exhibit. ANd many books about her even those who loathe her like Penny Junor.

She still was the mother of a future King. and her sons talk about her and she will be in royal bloodlines forevermore.

You can't explain anything to someone if they have a comprehension problem. Diana wasn't small fish or "The Firm" would not have changed years of rules & traditions for her.

:liberty:

The following users thanked this post: sandy

• Aristocrat
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #198 on: January 14, 2018, 02:46:02 AM »
Camilla is not one of the mothers of future Kings and never will be.

I will always find many odd things about that night in Paris. Including the fact that Diana was bleeding to death and it took valuable time to even start getting her out of that car.

Does not matter one bit to her. All she wanted was Charles, not to be "one of the mothers of future Kings". In that Diana could not compete.

Offline sandy

• RIF Veteran
  • Forum Royalty
  • Activity:
    100%
« Reply #199 on: January 14, 2018, 02:47:52 AM »
OH yes, Charles and all the perks and privileges and bling that went with him.

You don't know how Camilla felt when she was "passed over" by Charles as wife and mother to his children.

Royal Insight Forum is not responsible for the content of external sites