What Dukedom will Prince Harry get ?

Started by georgiana996, December 22, 2012, 03:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amabel

Quote from: Sandor on December 29, 2012, 01:26:56 PM
Tr

I As for Edward getting the title Duke of Edinburgh, I think if Charles doesn't want him to have it, he can forget it.  (It wouldn't surprise me if we hear that he chose to retain his current title.)   ;)
It will be up to Charles, since he will inherit the Dukedom.  And I don't see the need for all the male heirs to be royal dukes.  So yes I should say he will be happy enough with his current title.

Eri

^The rule is they do  :shrug:...he picked his current Title,  has a great family and is very rich so I bet you Edward is happy with himself  :lol:.

Sandor

It always amazes me that anyone would ever turn down a title!
If nothing else, it will get you a better table in a restaurant.

(Besides, there are all sorts of websites selling fraudulent titles to people;  if people didn't want to have titles, these sites would quickly go out of business. So a lot of people must want to have them).

amabel

Anne is far too high in the social scale to need an extra title, and I think that Mark Philips whatever his faults, has tried ot make his way in the world without unduly depending on his wife's connections.  I think that Zara and Peter P are a sensible young pair as well.. who clearly don't feel the need of being Lord Gatcombe and Lady Zara.

georgiana996

Quote from: Eri on December 29, 2012, 09:18:49 PM
^The rule is they do  :shrug:...he picked his current Title,  has a great family and is very rich so I bet you Edward is happy with himself  :lol:.
i agree and people should give it a rest about edward/ harry charles /andrew/9 William being wealthy in his own right. Every cent they have is due to their family line of royalty and/or aristocracy benefiting from centuries of royal patronage.
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

windsorbrides1

Actually, since the passing of the new succession laws before Prince George's birth, it's all changed.

Prince Harry will probably get Sussex or Clarence. Many are saying Sussex. I'm convinced it will be Clarence. When that title wasn't given to William, I felt that it was because they were reserving it for Harry since William will soon be Prince of Wales. The last Duke of Clarence was Prince Eddy, eldest son of Edward VII. The holder before that was one of the sons of George III. Sussex isn't as grand a title as Clarence. The only reason I could see him getting Sussex is if Prince Eddy's reputation kind of ruined Clarence for others.

Prince Edward will inherit the Dukedom of Edinburgh. If that announcement was made, then Prince Charles and the Queen have already agreed to it. It's a done deal. The royals don't make those kind of announcements lightly. It they said he's going to inherit, then he's going to inherit.

With the changes brought by the Succession law changes before Prince George's birth, Princess Beatrice can and will inherit the Dukedom of York. A woman can inherit the crown and I don't see modern monarchs saying a woman can't inherit a royal Dukedom if she can inherit the crown. If Charles were to try to take it away, I see William returning it to the family.

Curryong

Hi and welcome, windsorbrides,
Harry's title may be Clarence. I have a feeling though that it may well be Sussex. The Dukedom of Clarence is indeed prestigious but it has a sad history with two Dukes coming to very unexpected premature ends, notably Albert Victor of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale.

Prince Eddy's death may well have been a relief for the nation but it traumatised his family. It's notable that none of his brother, George V's sons, were given the Clarence Dukedom. Nor was Edward of Wessex. It's true that Edward may have been marked out to receive Edinburgh, but if the Dukedom of Clarence was that beloved in the family, then it surely would have been considered. In fact the BRF are remarkably superstitious, as in the name John not figuring largely  in the forenames of senior royals in later generations after the death of Prince John, King George and Queen Mary's disabled son.

Maybe in the future Beatrice may become Duchess of York. I don't know. However, she is not in line to inherit it now. The Succession Law changes you mention pertain to the succession to the throne of GB in the future by an eldest child, whether boy or girl. It has nothing to do with Royal Dukedoms.

Royal dukedoms are part of the peerage of Great Britain. Parliament has examined in Committee the possibilities of female inheritance of peerages but it has never moved further than the debate stage (in the Lords.) Nothing has passed into law and things remain the same as they always have regarding male heirs to peerages (whether Royal or 'ordinary') and until the law changes, if it does, then Beatrice will remain a princess not a Duchess in her own right.

amabel

and I see no reason for Beat to be Duchess of York.  If she was doing royal duties, it might given her an added cachet which would be useful if she was doing the normal charity etc work, but she's not.. so no reason for it.  Re the inheritance of the throne.. yes, Curryong you're right in saying that the law that applies to this.. is not the same as the law that applies to peerages.
and in any case women have always been able to inherit the throrne here, there was never any Salic Law. 

I agree about the Clarence title. I think that the RF who think back a longish way, by most people's standards, still associate the title with Eddy and his not being a great asset to the monarchy.. so I think that its not likely to be used this generation.

Duch_Luver_4ever

On a partially related corollary to that, I was always curious why Harry had the name "David" added to his word salad of names, considering the fate of the last person to have that name in the RF.... :xmas6:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

the queen mother's favourite brother was called David....

Duch_Luver_4ever

But also Edward VIII was known as David as well...
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

amabel

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 07, 2017, 12:23:36 AM
But also Edward VIII was known as David as well...
yes he had 7 names, most of which are used in the RF

TLLK

Thank you @amabel-I'd forgotten that connection to the name. IMO royal watchers tend to focus only upon the names typically used by a particular dynasty rather than the ones from their other non-royal parent.

amabel

Quote from: TLLK on December 07, 2017, 11:59:46 PM
Thank you @amabel-I'd forgotten that connection to the name. IMO royal watchers tend to focus only upon the names typically used by a particular dynasty rather than the ones from their other non-royal parent.
I think that is the origin of David Snowdon's being called David, certainly not form the DOW.  But the Royals are limited In the names they usualy choose so mostly even if a Royal has 6 names they will all be ones that his cousins have as well.. the DOW was called Edward Albert Christian and then the 4 saints of the British isles, David, Patrick, Andrew and George. I'm not sure why Harry ad the name David but possibly it was a favourite of the Q Moter's and Charles was devoted ot his grandmother..

Curryong

Harry may have been given the name of the Patron Saint of Wales because Charles was Prince of Wales.

amabel

Possibly yes Charles wanted to have a Welsh connextion in his name..and it was also a name that was dear to his grandmother.  I've wondered about William and K, that they sicne they lvied in Wales for some time, could have shown a Welsh connextion with say George's name. by putting in something like David...

LouisFerdinand

Could Prince Harry be given the title of Duke of Canterbury?

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand -AFAIK there has never been a Duke of Canterbury or a Duchy of that name in England or the United Kingdom. From what I understand HM would need to use an existing royal dukedom ie: Clarence or Sussex to confer upon her grandson.

Royal Dukedoms- Royal dukedoms in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

List of dukes in the peerages of Britain and Ireland | Familypedia | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Trudie

The way things stand now once the current Dukes of Kent and Gloucester pass these will cease to become Royal Dukedoms.

TLLK

Yes @Trudie. While the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent each have heirs and heirs-of their-heirs, they'll cease to be royal dukedoms upon their deaths.

FanDianaFancy

It is confusing to me.
Who does not have a title in their BRF?
PBea and Eug were wrongly, prematurely named. QEII did not and TPTB did not think ahead 20 years after the girls birth.Too many P and P without a country.
Too many dukedoms.

I do not think PH children need P and P . Lady and Lord. His grandchildren will not be P and Pwhere does the titled lines end? Bea and Eug are titled, P. Their husbands and children will not, should not be titled. Edwards children are titled, Lady and Viscount, but their children should not be titled.

Should Viscount Severn ! James children titled? Does he inherit a dukedom from his father, PE, Dukeof W?
PM of Kent children Lady and Lord, are not P and P. their children have no titles, correct?Does Lord Frerderick W inherit POfKent?
PMic of Kent was grandchild of sovereign ,  it that was a long time ago. 60 plus years. World has changed.
PW will be KofEngland. His daughter will be Princess Royal. George gets the boatload of titles. New baby will be P or P.

So many P and P without a country so to speak.

TLLK

QuoteShould Viscount Severn ! James children titled? Does he inherit a dukedom from his father, PE, Dukeof W?
PM of Kent children Lady and Lord, are not P and P. their children have no titles, correct?Does Lord Frerderick W inherit POfKent?
PMic of Kent was grandchild of sovereign ,  it that was a long time ago. 60 plus years. World has changed.
PW will be KofEngland. His daughter will be Princess Royal. George gets the boatload of titles. New baby will be P or P.

Unless things change regarding the titles, Viscount James' children will inherit titles in the future.  There is much speculation that Edward will eventually be the future HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.  Unless there has been a new specific Letters Patent then AFAIK technically Louise and James are like the York girls, HRH Princess Louise and HRH Prince James since they're the grandchildren of a monarch through the male line. (Their parents choose not to use those titles though.)

It is possible though that the next monarch might take steps to limit the HRH titles to an even more limited group of family members and opt to have them be Lord/Lady Windsor/ Mountbatten-Windsor.

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: TLLK on January 17, 2018, 10:52:28 PM
Yes @Trudie. While the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent each have heirs and heirs-of their-heirs, they'll cease to be royal dukedoms upon their deaths.
@TLLK, How is this possible? Who made this decision and when? Did Queen Elizabeth II decree this?

Curryong

It's always been so, just that historically Royal Dukes didn't tend to have long lines of surviving descendants so the Dukedoms remained in the family. The Dukes of Kent and Gloucester are grandsons of a sovereign, King George V in the male line, and so were Princes and their Royal Highnesses at birth. Their sons and grandsons arent. Royal status in the form of HRHs don't go on for ever.

TLLK

@LouisFerdinand-Here is the Letters Patent issued by King George V in 1917 that more or less explains who is a HRH.

Royal Styles and Titles of Great Britain: Documents