Sentebale

Started by Hale, October 16, 2010, 12:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannable

I do know that the walking with the wounded and Invictus are separate from Sentebale. I was generalizing in bad decision results of each, which I have mentioned in the past.

The walks awareness didn't bring returns, the little return of 100K, Pippa singlehandedly did better with her bike or snow walk trek, with little cost from the gross to net profit. Financial results is a point for WWTW to ponder, I am 100 percent sure they already did, as Mount Everest was cancelled not because of weather, fundraising to send the signed up wounded warriors was money collection short. When one  wants to do a PR marketing tool investment to create awareness, there has to be returns at a certain point.  With the unstable market and economies, returns are expected in 6 to 12 months.  The idea is defeated, if returns for a big group of people walking is 100K.

As I said, no numbers for Invictus to date, it's a great awareness, a great idea, there hasn't been to date am official confirmation of who, what and where it will take place again.

cinrit

QuoteSetting Up Charity to Help African Children Was an 'Emotional Roller Coaster' Says Prince Harry

Ten years ago Prince Harry went on gap year trip to the AIDS-ridden southern African kingdom of Lesotho and vowed to devote the rest of his life to help the troubled children he met there.  Today he played in a $1million polo match in the Middle East to raise funds for the continuing work of the charity he helped set up following that life-changing visit.

Speaking after the match to Mail Online the fourth-in-line to the throne candidly admitted that the last decade had been an 'emotional roller coaster' but said that he was hugely proud of what they had achieved.

Harry confessed that when Sentebale had started off he and his team were 'pretending we knew what we were doing' and mistakes had been made.

Indeed in 2008 the charity almost went bust, despite raising millions from the proceeds of a television documentary and a star-studded Princess Diana memorial concert.  There were repeated and damaging claims that too much money was being wasted in setting up the charity's African operation and too little being given to needy projects on the ground.

The prince told Mail Online: 'It started really really small....a very small group of us saying we're not going to use the funds for other people, it's going to be all for the kids and pretending we knew what we were doing.

'Ten years down the line we have made a couple of mistakes and in turn learned from our mistakes and now we know that actually, by speaking to the core problem, which in this case is the children themselves.... you get a really good taste of whether you're achieving it or not.

More: Prince Harry reveals setting up Sentebale was 'emotional roller coaster'  | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HsHCharlene

Where are those numbers for the WWTW? Still waiting...
Pippa's book is for profit, those trips are funded on the front end to allow those service members funds to train and pay for their flights, etc to accomplish the feat. I should hope that a for profit venture pulls in more money than a not for profit.

Limabeany

Even if the numbers had been low, their expenses were covered by sponsors, the event was to create awareness and raise funds for the charity, why would Harry consider both treks a costly mistake @wannable ?
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

HsHCharlene

Walking with the wounded financials 2011
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends58/0001133558_ac_20111231_e_c.pdf

Walking with the wounded financials 2010
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends58/0001133558_ac_20101231_e_c.pdf

Walking with the wounded financials 2012
http://apps.charitycommission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends58/0001133558_AC_20121231_E_C.pdf

WWTW 2014 Cumbrian challenge
http://walkingwiththewounded.org.uk/support-the-walk/wwtw-events/cumbrianchallenge2014/

None of these financials show any financial trouble so those statements are just opinion and not based in fact.

Harry gave a speech while collecting an award saying it WAS due to weather not funds. They actually managed to get there so they had plenty of funds to get them there. It was just too dangerous. Here is a snippet of the documentary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgLT4VASPzY

cate1949

Prince Harry Sentebale Call to action - YouTube//

at 1 am Harry will share a secret - to demonstrate that kids with HIV should not "feel shame"

tiaras

How does this help those kids ? Do the kids there receive a donation ?
How many of them have laptops, phones and ipads to go through this website and see how many supporters they have, isn't it better to hold a workshop or something more beneficial for the kids ?

Double post auto-merged: December 01, 2014, 04:11:58 AM

Sentebale Appeal is fundraising for Sentebale

Emphasis should be put on raising money.

In All I Do

About 5% of Lethoso's population has internet access. Based on my knowledge of current trends in net access, I strongly suspect almost all of that will be via smartphones.

v_voom

Proud Eurasian girl in London! ;)

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

So much buildup for that?  :hmm:

In All I Do

Well, we did find out that Joss Stone once peed herself, so if they ever *do* get together, there'll be something for people on the more virulent anti-anyone-dating-Harry tumblrs to get incensed about. 

Rebound

I wasn't expecting much, so I'm not disappointed. He wasn't going to share anything that was really secret. I doubt anybody will share anything shocking or revealing, and it's kind of a strange campaign. Kids in Lesotho have something that is considered really shameful in their culture--AIDS. A guy who is nervous about speaking in public won't impress them.

I suppose the purpose is to bring attention and money to Sentebale.

I think if William or Kate had said something so boring and run-of-the-mill, they would have been skewered.

Lady Adams

^Actually, William did do this, and I've seen more chatter about #FeelNoShame than #WhoseSideAreYouOn.

I'm going to start a timer: how many posts does it take before Will and Kate are brought into a Harry thread (in an effort to make Harry look bad or Will and Kate look good)?

I, for one, think this was a lovely idea on World Aids Day.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

wannable

tiaras

It's an O.K campaign. There are things he could have done to make this a more successful campaign, like having a twitter account of his own, using it to tweet #feelnoshame and the link Sentebale Appeal is fundraising for Sentebale  to the donation page, having it circulate that way would have reached more people than just a video message.

A better secret perhaps, lol  ? :hehe:
They did manage to raise £231, hope the amount keeps going up.

wannable

^You have a better understanding of IT networking, Harry contact Tiara.  :xmas15:

On a similar note, I really liked when he played a game with the HIV Lesotho kids of who do you want to be. More insightful of Harry's inner secret thoughts; live in Africa, photographer and surfer. It made the papers worldwide, same time a pic of him with the kids at the Lesotho centre, Sentebale named.

HereditaryPrincess

For a second I thought that it was going to be a much bigger secret. Hardly worth calling it a secret if it's something disappointing like that!

Harry and I share something in common then, I'm a hopeless public speaker. You can visibly see the page shake when I perform speeches (which thankfully hasn't been very often), though Harry is probably much better at me than public speaking. Anyone is better than me at public speaking. :wink:

v_voom

Awww, I knew it was something related to his charity. But that still didn't stop me from hoping for something juicy.

I was hoping along the line of 'Prince Harry to hold a ball at his castle to find his princess and all the maidens in the land are invited!!'  :Jen: :Jen:

Explanation: I had my nieces for the weekend and we watched Disney cartoon back-to-back  :vday2: :vday2: :vday2:

Rebound

^LOL   v_voom  With 5 granddaughters, I think I've seen every Disney, Barbie, Sophia, My Little Pony, H2O episode, etc. etc. at least 10 times each. "Did you see Rainbow Dash's face, Nana? Rewind it, rewind it!" Sigh.

Lady Adams, it is axiomatic that W&K will always appear on Harry threads, and vice versa.  They are inextricably bound forever. (See, I know a few big words      :hug:    :xmas17:)

v_voom

^ 5 granddaughters??? Wow! Your life must be full of laughters and princesses dress up every weekend! :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Limabeany

Limabeany

:goodpost: @snokitty I agree 100% with the writer.  :xmas10:

wannable

Well, he'll be packing soon to be a wildcat Lynx retraining soonish as in January, max March 2015. Although his colleagues will be one year ahead of him.

The article is a polite slap in the face, matter of fact, none of the shames I've read should be compared with aids, hiv. Not a chance of dying.

Limabeany

Not everyone has a sexually transmitted disease, a deep dark secret or has robbed a bank. What is personal to one person may not be to another, but, IMO, he fell short and diluted the message.