The Charities of the Duchess of Cambridge

Started by PrincessOfPeace, May 15, 2014, 10:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Quote from: TLLK on September 14, 2014, 09:03:13 PM
Quote from: SophieChloe on September 14, 2014, 08:58:30 PM
Quote from: TLLK on September 14, 2014, 08:53:50 PM
Quote from: HistoryGirl on September 13, 2014, 10:40:26 PM
You're right; the English are not a modern monarchy...but what is perplexing to me is that they are dubbed as such. And simply because their role for a spouse is to stand behind the royal doesn't mean that people have to agree with it; Some might, but it's not a necessity and I happen to be one that does not.
I'd say that they are more modern than some of their counterparts ie: Japan, Middle Eastern monarchies. They've adopted the full primogeniture rule like most European houses, but their recent history (late 20th century) has made an impression. Each royal house has its own traditions and "rules."

Letizia Ortiz and Masako Owada were two well-educated and well-regarded professionals. They married into royal houses steeped in tradition which IMO had a somewhat negative effect for each lady. Letizia was not given the opportunity to undertake a solo engagement for years after marrying Felipe. I don't believe it wasn't because she couldn't handle the task, but that the royal house wanted  to project a certain image. Had one of her two children been a boy, he would have been the heir no matter the birth order. The SRF requires deep curtsies from its female members. Even at her sister's memorial service a heavily pregnant Letizia dropped nearly to the floor when greeting the king. (Sofia was abroad.) Allegedly she's been told at events to stay quiet because "Everyone knows that you're intelligent."

Masako is IMHO one of the saddest stories  of a modern day royal marriage. Despite Nahurito's promise to protect her, she has suffered terribly in adjusting to Imperial life. (One would have hoped that the IHA learned its lesson with Michiko's muteness due to their treatment.) This trained interpreter was not permitted to speak English to another guest but had to go through an Imperial translator. (Masako and her family lived in the U.S. for years. She is a fluent English speaker.)

Middle Eastern consorts like Rania have to also watch their perception at home. Rania has been noticeably absent on the world stage IMHO since the Arab Spring of 2011.
Thanks for such a detailed post, TLLK.  However, I'm not sure it belongs here. 
I disagree. HG was pointing out the descrepancies in the BRF claims to be a modern monarchy and I shared examples of other monarchies with modern ladies meeting. long standing traditions.
Can the BRF be defended using the BRF? I missed the press report where Japanese Emperor claimed to be modern... And, Rania twirls light years away in terms of modernization versus the BRF with their outdated websites and existing for the sole purpose of cutting ribbons and waving...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: Lady Adams on September 14, 2014, 11:15:02 PM
If Kate suffers from HG, I'm surprised she didn't do anything after her last pregnancy to draw attention to it. A PSA or fundraiser, or spotlight on NHS would have been a wonderful way to acknowledge it.

That requires initiative, courage and sincerity. She had the means to do so, and if she does have HG, maybe it is indicative of her nature to coast on the minimum or maybe she enjoys a subordinate role? I have no idea anymore.
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HistoryGirl

I've always been under the impression that it's probably the latter. Which suits the BRF perfectly, sadly enough.

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: HistoryGirl on September 14, 2014, 11:28:56 PM
I've always been under the impression that it's probably the latter. Which suits the BRF perfectly, sadly enough.

I've had the same feeling. One of the reasons I wholeheartedly agreed with your assertion that they are not the modern monarchy that they are trying to project.

I wonder what would happen if the Queen and Prince Charles decided to add monetary incentive rather than "gifting" properties and doling out allowances. That would certainly light some fires under people's posteriors!
"No one is dumb who is curious. The people who don't ask questions remain clueless throughout their lives." - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

HistoryGirl

Ha! Now that would be something. I'd surely admire that. It would bode well with the people. Kate seems so unsure of herself in public. She relies very heavily on William as if without him she's like a duckling without its mother. Her charities could be a way to get past that, but that's where the Firm come into play...I just don't think they'd like that at all. i think they want to keep the spouses down at a level where they're not threatening to their family's popularity which is odd considering the people marrying in would be a great selling point for their hoopla.

Lady Adams

^^ But she could supplement her small number of public royal engagements by doing other things that have an impact publicly, but don't require leaving KP (or Amner...or Bucklebury), like an online auction I suggested upthread.

A little creativity and commitment goes a long way.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

HistoryGirl

^True and that'd be fabulous...but then we're back to the whole "does she actually have any commitment" argument lol I think she's fine just doing nothing and being his wife and a mother and obviously that's cool with the Queen otherwise it wouldn't be happening cause I don't buy that William and Kate run things. Which is what I find sad about the entire scenario.

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

FanDianaFancy

Again for HG.  And  can  I add my  tired  old post.

It  is has  it ahs be and will be.
Done deal!!!!

10 ,more  years  of this at least.
QEII  has a  good 10 years left.

KC anbd QC  , esp QC,will not have to worry  about  PK  jumping in her spotlight.

cinrit

If Kate suffers from HG, I'm surprised she didn't do anything after her last pregnancy to draw attention to it. A PSA or fundraiser, or spotlight on NHS would have been a wonderful way to acknowledge other women aren't as fortunate as her (ie can't take off work without losing their salary, don't get private doctors, etc). 

HG isn't a chronic illness.  It happens to about 2% of pregnant women.  I'm not sure how highlighting it could be of benefit to women who are already pregnant or trying to get pregnant. 

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

It could go a long way towards generating more sympathy for morning sickness and other conditions affecting pregnant women.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Lady Adams

Quote from: cinrit on September 15, 2014, 01:15:02 AM
If Kate suffers from HG, I'm surprised she didn't do anything after her last pregnancy to draw attention to it. A PSA or fundraiser, or spotlight on NHS would have been a wonderful way to acknowledge other women aren't as fortunate as her (ie can't take off work without losing their salary, don't get private doctors, etc). 

HG isn't a chronic illness.  It happens to about 2% of pregnant women.  I'm not sure how highlighting it could be of benefit to women who are already pregnant or trying to get pregnant. 

Cindy
Well, it doesn't need to focus on just HG...Kate could also do something like promoting NHS maternity wards, since they deal with everything from HG to premie babies. I'm sure Sophie would encourage her to help! Or she could focus on maternity care charity like Maternity Action.

I think it's about the recognition that if she has HG, this may be the most horrific thing of her life, but she is very fortunate. She can take time off work and has a staff to help her and take care of her son. By supporting NHS or a charity, she could draw from her personal experience and knowledge of its importance, and recognition that she is fortunate to have resources not everyone in her country has.

(For anyone wondering, from Maternity Action's website: "Maternity Action is the UK's leading charity committed to ending inequality and improving the health and well-being of pregnant women, partners and young children – from conception through to the child's early years.")

DaisyMeRollin

Quote from: cinrit on September 15, 2014, 01:15:02 AMHG isn't a chronic illness.  It happens to about 2% of pregnant women.  I'm not sure how highlighting it could be of benefit to women who are already pregnant or trying to get pregnant. 

Cindy

Woah woah woah! Wait a minute! Are you wrong, is this 2% of women in the UK, or is this world-wide? I don't want to rain on a few parades, but the populous weighs on the probability unless this is an ethnic genotype. This is starting to sound a little.....

I may have to read up on this a little more, but this does give leeway to some apprehensions.   

Macrobug

Cindy is pretty close. 

QuoteThe reported incidence of hyperemesis gravidarum is 0.3 to 1.0%; this condition is characterized by persistent vomiting, weight loss of more than 5%, ketonuria, electrolyte abnormalities (hypokalemia), and dehydration (high urine specific gravity)."
http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/730520
GNU Terry Pratchett

DaisyMeRollin

^^^Thanks, Macro.^^^

Read these:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2144788/pdf/canfamphys00030-0069.pdf

Recurrence of hyperemesis gravidarum across generations: population based cohort study

And one confirming its recurrence and upped severity for the second pregnancy.

Not much on the origins, but it is kind of interesting. I wonder if it might have been a bottleneck, segregated population that led to the mutation. It's a really REALLY small percentage, which is so strange. Forgive me, geekin' on genetics. It happens.

Macrobug

I don't think genetics are a big factor.  I haven't read much on that being the case.  But I have pulled up some articles from the Canadian OB/GYN society and I will let you know what I find.
GNU Terry Pratchett

DaisyMeRollin

Granted, there's still not a lot of information on it, there are genetic indicators, or at least that is what is being purported by some.

You don't have to, but much appreciated.

EDIT: I might have to mill through a couple more studies that I have bookmarked at another point. It's late, unfortunately.

Macrobug

Daisy - I read the one article you posted and my biggest concern is that Quebec is not genetic entity.  I think where they are going with it is the idea of "pur laine" a Quebec ideology of being pure Quebecoise.  Which again, is not genetic or racial.  Being born from outside of Quebec doesn't mean the women are necessarily genetically different.   WHAT I could see is a social difference.  A different view of pregnancy based of the womans background.

And yes.  It is late.  I have already fallen asleep reading the forum once tonight.  It was a lovely 2 hour nap.  Now......wide awake  :Lothwen:
GNU Terry Pratchett

DaisyMeRollin

Not the article I'm referring to. I have two in queue that I need to go through.

amabel

Quote from: Limabeany on September 15, 2014, 01:17:31 AM
It could go a long way towards generating more sympathy for morning sickness and other conditions affecting pregnant women.
why?  Having it does not seme to have gained her much sympaty

Double post auto-merged: September 15, 2014, 06:14:22 AM

Quote from: HistoryGirl on September 14, 2014, 11:39:29 PM
Ha! Now that would be something. I'd surely admire that. It would bode well with the people. Kate seems so unsure of herself in public. She relies very heavily on William as if without him she's like a duckling without its mother. Her charities could be a way to get past that, but that's where the Firm come into play...I just don't think they'd like that at all. i think they want to keep the spouses down at a level where they're not threatening to their family's popularity which is odd considering the people marrying in would be a great selling point for their hoopla.
Yeah they had one wife who DID overshadow her husband greatly, who then left the RF in such a way that she did a lot of damage. I think that Kate could do more, but she'sd clearly NOT a very interesting person and not a natural charity worker.  So I think she is doing a modest amount and the RF are happy with that, because they would rather someone who don't cause trouble, who did a small amount of work but didn't' do more and then cause major waves and leave many of her charities when she left the RF.

Double post auto-merged: September 15, 2014, 06:25:05 AM

Quote from: cinrit on September 14, 2014, 10:02:30 PM
Quote from: Lothwen on September 14, 2014, 09:54:25 PM
I don't recall the hospital issuing any sort of statement for what Kate was in the hospital for.  The palace said that, and initially so did many of the reporters, but after a while they reverted back to calling it "Acute Morning Sickness."

I've read accounts from women who suffered from HG.  It's terrible.  It's not something that's diagnosed right away.  When Kate was pregnant with George, she was shown playing field hockey and looked fine.  Two days later, she drives herself to the hospital, in London (even though she was visiting her parents in Berkshire), and a few hours later she's diagnosed with HG.  I believe that when she went into the hospital it was because she had a bad case of morning sickness, and that the doctors and nurses told her that they were going to keep an eye on her because it could manifest into HG, and I think that the Palace PR just ran with the story, because it was a great way to excuse Kate from doing any more work. 

HG is said to come on quickly, so I can certainly believe Kate was fine one day and then ill the next.  And actually, it was William who drove her to the hospital.  And while the hospital issued no reports about her, I can't imagine someone at the Palace would have made up a story about her having HG.  How many at the Palace would have had knowledge of HG to make up a story?  As far as it later being called Acute Morning Sickness, that's probably what it was, once the HG was somewhat under control. 

Cindy
no it didn't issue a report, but the nurses talking to the DJ made her symptoms quite clear.  If they were all lying they were pretty dedicated to their role, since they thoguth they were talking to the queen and Even though in this scenario the queen must have known there was nothing wrong with Kate, she still rang the hospstial and they still kept up the fiction that Kate was ill.  This is just Kate bashing.. and I'm out!!

HistoryGirl

^I understand that they're fine with it and that Kate doesn't care about much...its what I said.

KaTerina Montague

I dont think doing a psa on HG or anything else related to it is such a good idea if indeed a very rare few suffer from it. And anything else in relation to motherhood might come off as a little condescending especially for working mothers and mothers who don't have nannies etc. The one good thing Kate did last year was show her still swollen belly.

Limabeany

Quote from: amabel on September 15, 2014, 06:11:26 AM
Quote from: Limabeany on September 15, 2014, 01:17:31 AM
why?  Having it does not seme to have gained her much sympaty
Her leisure lifestyle is what hasn't gained her much sympathy.

cinrit

^^ Neither has the fact that she has HG, in some quarters.  There are still those who don't believe she has it.  Would her speaking publicly about it convince them?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

wannable

A picture of her retching would do, in a royal duty that is.