Finding Eleanor of Woodstock

Started by snokitty, February 09, 2016, 04:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Finding Eleanor of Woodstock: Broederenchurch in Deventer & Castle Rosendael in Rozendaal - History of Royal Women
Eleanor of Woodstock was born on 18 June 1318 as the daughter of Edward II of England and Isabella of France. She was born in Woodstock Palace in Oxfordshire, which no longer exists. She married Reginald II, Count (later Duke) of Guelders as his second wife in May 1332. His first marriage was to Sophia Berthout, Lady of Mechelen who died in 1329 leaving four young daughters. Isabella was just 14 years old at the time of her marriage. Her marriage was arranged by Joan of Valois, Countess of Hainaut. The couple lived at Castle Rosendael.

Reginald was already known as 'the Black' for his dark colouring and his dark character. He had taken power from his father and had him imprisoned for six years. The marriage started of successful with the birth of two sons, but Reginald soon tired of Eleanor. In 1338 he claimed she had leprosy and sent her from court. Another source claims it was Reginald adviser Moliart who claimed she had leprosy.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

LouisFerdinand

Reginald's father was imprisoned from 1318 to 1326. Reginald I of Guelders did not get released from prison. He died in 1326.