More Diana dress swag on auction.

Started by Duch_Luver_4ever, December 07, 2016, 10:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duch_Luver_4ever

Princess Diana's Bruce Oldfield evening gown could fetch £70,000 at auction | Daily Mail Online

A nice mix of formal and semi casual, although I feel this dress is trying too hard to be a copy of the White House dress, it could use some jewelery on it, or a belt to give it some contrast, but the rich purple looks great on her.

Two of my favs from the early days, so many nice pics of her in that turquoise dress and hat on the tour, was just lovely if a little dull compared to stuff she wore later.

The tartan dress for the Braemar games just makes her look so adorably squeezable  :consoling1:  :crazylove: like an angel doll come to life, my fav by far of the trio.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

TLLK

^^^I love the purple gown and IMHO it is a classic style that would look lovely even today. It would be a flattering choice for  Princess Charlene, Queen Mathilde and CP Mary as it would compliment their coloring.

The day dresses are definitely a reflection of their time with the longer hemlines and those ever present white tights that were popular during the early 1980's.   :D

Curryong

In the early days of her marriage Diana did indeed look adorable, like a little peach just coming into bloom really. I know that's a bit OTT but still..! Even in the quite hideous stuff of the early 1980's (some of those hats!) she was so tall, so pretty, it didn't matter. I too remember the Braemar outfit, and the others. She looked gorgeous in the purple but I have to say clear Blues were my favourite Diana colour.

Duch_Luver_4ever

No worries @Curryong can never mention her adorable nature too much IMO more than just mere physicality, I think it was her nature and personality coming out as much as her appearance, she was indeed a lovely peach one wanted to keep from getting bruised by life, sadly wasnt to be.

She did look lovely in blues, that dress in the OZ/NZ tour was blue and white with a diagonal line and a white hat(ah those 80s hats^^), very nice. I found she looked great in light versions of most colors.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

michelle0187

^^ Whenever I looked at her outfits from the early to mid 80s, I thought only her would pull off those outfits and hats. It was one of the special things about her. She was tall, slim and had a beautiful face even thought it wasn't symmetrical, it was one of a kind. No matter how loud her outfits were and how short the hair cuts were. she didn't need mermaid hairand a hourglass figure for people to find her to be the most gorgeous woman in the room. And her charisma and warm personality drew people in. I do wonder if those who buy her gowns, would wear them in public because as I said before, it's hard to pull off. Especially the ones from the eighties. My favorite is also the blue.

Duch_Luver_4ever

:goodpost: @michelle0187  Yes, many of those outfits, only she could pull them off, I partly think that went into the selection of them. I know the tartan she wore on her honeymoon was made for her and she asked that it be made for no one else.

I think the fact that her face wasn't symmetrical added to her charm, she hid it well with the part on the left (which i absolutely LOVE and find that pics of her which they flip the negative and have the part on the right just does not look "right" to me at all).

I doubt anyone would wear them, theyve grown so much in value that it would be foolish to risk spilling wine or food on them, and also would be hard for someone else to pull the look off. She was one of a kind.

TLLK

Princess Diana's velvet Bruce Oldfield dress fetches more than £56k at auction | Daily Mail Online

The turquoise dress went for much higher than the original estimate though the Oldfield did go for a bit lower than expected.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yes, the Oldfield went for less, but the Turquoise one went for more than expected, although it didn't make up for the difference in the Oldfield dress, and the Tartan one sold for close to expected.

I think the Oldfield dress suffers from the fact that if one is going to put up that kind of amount for that type of dress, one may as well fork over enough to try and get the Edlestein dress when/if it comes up for auction again.

(ah, if people at work knew I was talking about dress prices today  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:)

SophieChloe

I regularly see David Emanuel at my local supermarket.  I wish I had the guts to go over and say Thanks for looking after Diana on her Wedding day. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Duch_Luver_4ever

OMG you totally should!!!!! I'm sure he would enjoy the recognition, as he felt it was a special dress for a special lady, when you see the last few minutes of the documentary of the wedding day, where hes at althorp in front of the dress, its all over his face when he talks about how he loved the fact she called him after the wedding to say thanks.

Please do it for all of us who cant. :nod: :thumbsup:

SophieChloe

^ I'm going to get my Billy Big Boots on and do it  :lift:  I will do it for us @Duch_Luver_4ever  :hug:

He drives a mini with a private number plate.   And he still has the swag of blonde locks. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Quote from: SophieChloe on December 14, 2016, 06:22:32 PM
I regularly see David Emanuel at my local supermarket.  I wish I had the guts to go over and say Thanks for looking after Diana on her Wedding day. 
@SophieChloe-I agree with @Duch_Luver_4ever that you should thank him. I believe that he'd appreciate the compliment.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Cool, @SophieChloe  cant wait to hear how it goes, im sure he'll be flattered that so many ppl are thankful for what he did, not only the wedding dress, but "that dress" and all the wonderful creations in the 80s, I remember the gulf tour featured some of their work.

TLLK

Quote from: Duch_Luver_4ever on December 14, 2016, 06:05:41 PM
Yes, the Oldfield went for less, but the Turquoise one went for more than expected, although it didn't make up for the difference in the Oldfield dress, and the Tartan one sold for close to expected.

I think the Oldfield dress suffers from the fact that if one is going to put up that kind of amount for that type of dress, one may as well fork over enough to try and get the Edlestein dress when/if it comes up for auction again.

(ah, if people at work knew I was talking about dress prices today  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:)
NOOOO not dress prices...the auction price of a historic artifact! :wink:

Duch_Luver_4ever

Yeah...thats the ticket.....as Tommy Flanagan from SNL would say  :lol:

TLLK

Quote from: TLLK on December 14, 2016, 03:47:37 PM
Princess Diana's velvet Bruce Oldfield dress fetches more than £56k at auction | Daily Mail Online

The turquoise dress went for much higher than the original estimate though the Oldfield did go for a bit lower than expected.
Going off topic but does anyone know if those are garnets or amethysts that Diana is wearing in the photos with the Oldfield dress? The light appears to be bringing out a deep red hue, but it could as well be amethysts.

Duch_Luver_4ever

@TLLK  It was an amethyst necklace she wore with that. About halfway down this link you can see it with her wearing a different dress.

DOUBLE-STRAND DIAMOND AND AMETHYST BEAD CHOKER

Diana's Diamond and Gemstone Necklaces

TLLK

Thanks @Duch_Luver_4ever - I would have been very surprised if it was a garnet necklace considering that it would clash with the purple, but the lights cast a reddish glow in that photo.

Duch_Luver_4ever

NP, @TLLK  she always had a great style in pairing jewelry both precious and costume with her outfits.

Double post auto-merged: December 16, 2016, 05:16:38 PM

The Legacy of Princess Diana

Heres the turquoise number, usually shown on the Australian Tour, but like much of the clothes of that tour, made an appearance in Canada as well.

Double post auto-merged: December 16, 2016, 05:23:53 PM

now I cant stop running into it, another Ottawa pic, and look at the look on her sweet face, how priceless  :brightside:

Double post auto-merged: December 16, 2016, 05:27:54 PM

and again, this time a rare pic of her from the right side.

Double post auto-merged: December 16, 2016, 05:31:38 PM

The Legacy of Princess Diana ? shardwick: ?I like to be a free spirit. Some...

GIF with the necklace in question, and a dare I say, saucy lick of her lip, is it me or did someone turn the heat on LOL

Jennifer

QuoteDiscover Princess Diana's favourite outfits at Catherine Walker's London boutique

She was known as the People's Princess for her powerful presence and tireless charity work, but 20 years since her death Diana, Princess of Wales is still turning heads as a timeless fashion icon.

Ever propelled onto the world stage, Diana developed an elegant, easy and never overstated style that saw her through the pomp and formality of state occasions, to the high fashion red carpet and casual day events at which she always shone. And a number of her classic outfits carried the label of her favourite fashion house, Catherine Walker, with which she shared a relationship of mutual trust for 16 years.

Now celebrating their 40th year, Catherine Walker has exclusively invited HELLO! behind the scenes of their discreet atelier in London's Chelsea to see some of Diana's favourite dresses, and to speak to designer Said Cyrus, who founded the company with his wife Catherine Walker (who died in 2010).

Read more:
Princess Diana's favourite outfits at Catherine Walker's London boutique
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Duch_Luver_4ever

Thank you so much @Jennifer for posting that, always love to see a look inside her favorite fashion designer, great example of business building as well. But so lovely to see the dresses, im surprised that they dont have a bigger collection of their work, but by now im guessing, the cost at auction is too high now.

Loved seeing the Christie's dress again, while I generally dont like strays from the classic Diana cut, I did love the "pixie" like haircut she has at that event.

Shame theyre both gone, no doubt they're showing the angels how to dress more stylish :friends:

Jennifer

@Duch_Luver_4ever, Princess Diana will always be a timeless fashion icon for generations. I also think that the cost at auction probably is very high for her dresses at Catherine Walker's London boutique. Her husband said that they will donate the money to Princess Diana's charities. I am glad they are raising the money for a good cause!  It is unfortunate that both Princess Diana & Catherine Walker are gone. They contributed a lot to the world and I don't think either of their memories will ever be forgotten.  I imagine they did give the angels in heaven a lot of advice on fashion. I wouldn't be surprised if they opened their own boutique there!
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston