Royal Carriages of Princesses, Queens, Kings and Popes

Started by LouisFerdinand, May 20, 2016, 12:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark in an open carriage   
                    Danish queen rides through Copenhagen in open carriage - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Etiquette of Carriage Riding   
                          How did a lady enter a carriage?   
                         http://www.avictorian.com/carriage-riding.html

LouisFerdinand

Carriage Procession of British Royals   
                         Royal Ascot Day 1 - Carriage Procession - June 2012 - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

The royal coach in which King Alfonso XIII and his wife rode in to open Parliament in 1923.   
King And Queen Of Spain (1923) - YouTube

LouisFerdinand

Carriage a la Daumont   
This carriage was made in Milan.   
It was used in Austria mostly to convey foreign rulers when they came to visit the Emperor. 
Four-seat chaise carriage à la Daumont (meaning it has no coach box). Designed to be drawn by six horses and driven by mounted coachmen - "jockeys"? |

Curryong

The coach/carriage in which Napoleon fled from the battle of Waterloo eventually ended up on display at Madame Tussaud's Waxworks in London. Unfortunately there was a huge fire there in the 1920s. A lot of the wax figures melted but so did Napoleon's coach and that was the end of that!

LouisFerdinand

^Was this coach/carriage of Napoleon I made in France?

Curryong

Yes it was. I have a book on the history of Madame Tussaud's and that's where I read about it. However, I didn't realise that the waxworks had three of his carriages/coaches and all three were destroyed in the fire of 1925.

The Waterloo coach had quite a history, being captured by the Prussians after Waterloo (as was Napoleon) and its driver killed. It arrived in Britain as a present but was soon exhibited to the British public. The Egyptian Hall mentioned in the article below was wellknown in the 19th century for exhibitions and shows of all kinds, including magic acts.

The article below is quite interesting. It's notable that Bullocks, a prominent London waxworks in the earlier 19th century, nabbed the coach first, but Tussauds had it for eighty odd years in its Napoleon Room.

Regency History: What happened to Napoleon's carriage?

LouisFerdinand

Did the Prince Regent (George IV) ever take a ride in the carriage of Napoleon I?

Curryong

I don't think so, though maybe he sat in it a while. He was a fantasist who told stories sometimes of having been at Waterloo.

For the British people 'Boney' had been a bogey man for a generation. Mothers would threaten their small children when they were naughty that 'Boney' will get you!'
It's often forgotten that the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars melded into each other so that Britain had fought France for about twenty years more or less continuously, by 1815. That made it the longest war  in which Britain was involved in the modern historical period (from 18th century onward.) The UK had been in a state of military preparedness with militia and garrison towns and thousands of men serving in the army and Royal Navy during that period. Therefore, the news that Bonaparte had been defeated was greeted with probabably as much jubilation as the endings of World Wars One and Two.

Napoleon remained an object of fascination for the British for generations. Even today, people collect his memorabilia, including Britons. So it's not really surprising that Tussauds would have a special room dedicated to him. It's just enormously sad that so much was lost in 1925.

LouisFerdinand

Curryong

Ragnhild was the oldest sister of the now King Harald  of Norway, born in 1930. It's a very Scandinavian sounding name I think. I was fascinated by the different ways it's pronounced in Denmark, Noway and Sweden.

LouisFerdinand

LouisFerdinand

Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands was driven to the State Opening of Parliament in the Golden State Coach in 1936.
   State Opening Of Parliament (1936) - YouTube