Prince Andrew stayed friends with Fergie after divorce 'for sake of family'

Started by Limabeany, August 24, 2014, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

wannable

I read it differently, if it weren't for the sake of the family, he would have hit the delete button if no children involved.

tiaras

Sandor

I have no sympathy for her;  she brought all her problems on herself.
(I agree with the peer who called her Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Eri

Well ... she was found cheating on him what man would keep contact if there were no children involved? Personally I think he still loves her or he wouldn't forgive all he did just for the sake of the girls ...

PaulaB

tiaras

Please I am Not a fan but he is all she has(d) , she also sold access to him  :orchid: 

SophieChloe

She had soooo many chances - and continued to blow it.  I can't stand, Andrew - but credit where it is due - he has stood by her.  The children are now all grown up and living their own lives - but they still come together.  However, he stands for Fergie being put in the Shed at Christmas time  :no:  Have her there proper or not invite her at all.  He needs to stand up to his Father IMO.

I do think they will remarry once Philip departs this world?
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Macrobug

I think that ship has sailed, SC.  I thought that a few years back but not now.

GNU Terry Pratchett

DaFluffs

sorry to butt into your conversation SC & Macrobug....  even after Philip passes I do not see the BRF changing they way they feel or treat her.  Especially Charles. 

So if they remarry it really doesn't change a thing for either of them.  It would grant her no greater access, prestige or respect and Andrew still needs to come to terms w/the fact that as Kate (and Harry's wife) has more children he will be more and more irrelevant.

Macrobug

Butt away DaFluff!! :P

I agree with you.  I used to think that, even though they were divorced, they still were together.  But I don't any more.  Being a hopeless (cynical) romantic, I hope they both find someone to be happy with and grow old with. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

amabel

Quote from: DaFluffs on August 25, 2014, 06:11:42 PM
sorry to butt into your conversation SC & Macrobug....  even after Philip passes I do not see the BRF changing they way they feel or treat her.  Especially Charles. 

So
No of course they wotn.  They  are all anti her.  and I doubt if Andrew would get permissions to remarry her which he MAy need

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on August 24, 2014, 11:39:32 AM
I read it differently, if it weren't for the sake of the family, he would have hit the delete button if no children involved.
I took it to mean the same.

Curryong

^^Surely, if Andrew really wanted to re-marry Fergie after Prince Philip's death (which I doubt, myself) he is so far down the line of succession that he wouldn't need Charles's permission?

In All I Do

Quote from: Curryong on August 26, 2014, 12:26:43 AM
^^Surely, if Andrew really wanted to re-marry Fergie after Prince Philip's death (which I doubt, myself) he is so far down the line of succession that he wouldn't need Charles's permission?

IIRC, someone here (though it may have been TRF) pointed out that under the new law change, it'll take one more baby Cambridge or Harry Jr. to bump him down into "does not require permission".

Of course, I think that was predicated on Phillip having passed, Elizabeth still being alive, and therefore Charles still occupying space #1 on the heirs chart.

amabel

Quote from: Curryong on August 26, 2014, 12:26:43 AM
I don't think so.  The first 6 in the line need permission.. so that's Charles, William George, Harry adn then Andrew.  Even if he didn't, I assume he would not really want to marry someone who was so unpopular with his family.

Curryong

I think the question's academic because I don't believe Andrew and Fergie will re-marry, but just how unpopular is Fergie with the rest of the royals? We know the Queen finds her good company and Prince Philip thinks she's beyond the pale. I doubt that Charles cares for her very much although we don't know. You wouldn't think that William and Harry, who are close to Bea and Eugenie, would have any axe to grind.

However, there was an interesting incident at the recent Olympics which piqued my interest a bit. Harry was watching a cycling trial I think, surrounded by Olympic officials at one end of the stands. In came Fergie, accompanied by her two daughters.

They took seating as far apart from Harry as they could get without being out of the stands altogether. Not one wave or gesture of communication passed between Harry and his cousins, except at one point Eugenie tried to catch his eye. Harry, who was wearing sunglasses, kept his eyes strictly straight ahead. He left without acknowledging them.

I like Harry, but it was pretty strange behaviour even by royal standards, as he obviously knew they were there, and he went skiing with all of them, and Cressida Bonas as well!

gec

I don't know much about Fergie and Andrew. But I wonder if the incident you detail above, Curryong, is as a result of the cash-for-access controversy? I wouldn't be surprised if senior members of the royal family were ordered not to acknowledge Fergie at public events, particularly one showcasing the United Kingdom.

Eri

Quote from: Curryong on August 26, 2014, 06:00:25 AM
I think the question's academic because I don't believe Andrew and Fergie will re-marry, but just how unpopular is Fergie with the rest of the royals? We know the Queen finds her good company and Prince Philip thinks she's beyond the pale. I doubt that Charles cares for her very much although we don't know. You wouldn't think that William and Harry, who are close to Bea and Eugenie, would have any axe to grind.

However, there was an interesting incident at the recent Olympics which piqued my interest a bit. Harry was watching a cycling trial I think, surrounded by Olympic officials at one end of the stands. In came Fergie, accompanied by her two daughters.

They took seating as far apart from Harry as they could get without being out of the stands altogether. Not one wave or gesture of communication passed between Harry and his cousins, except at one point Eugenie tried to catch his eye. Harry, who was wearing sunglasses, kept his eyes strictly straight ahead. He left without acknowledging them.

I like Harry, but it was pretty strange behaviour even by royal standards, as he obviously knew they were there, and he went skiing with all of them, and Cressida Bonas as well!
Actually he was with Peter and he did rave to The Yorks ... and as you said he did vacation with The Yorks after that ...

Curryong

Not according to the report I read, Eri. I've looked it up and it talks about the space between the parties and says 'the flame-haired matriarch kept her gaze firmly on the track at all times' and 'Harry did not as much as acknowledge her presence and she did not acknowledge his.'

Sandor

Quote from: Macrobug on August 25, 2014, 06:39:10 PM
Butt away DaFluff!! :P

I agree with you.  I used to think that, even though they were divorced, they still were together.  But I don't any more.  Being a hopeless (cynical) romantic, I hope they both find someone to be happy with and grow old with.

They won't.  Or, at least she won't.

I think she tried, and came up empty.

As for Andrew, one day (probably quite soon) he will be dependent on Charles, and I don't think Charles is keen on Fergie.

(I believe the RF have tolerated her leeching on Andrew, because it is well-known that the Queen dotes on Andrew and finds it hard to say no to him.  But Charles will not;  he may even demand that Andrew move her out of the Royal Lodge for good, it wouldn't surprise me).

amabel

I've never heard that the queen finds her good company.  she may tolerate her now for the sake of the girls butt that's it. I doubt if any of the RF like her.  Im not really surprised if Harry was cool to her.  And Andrew and she certainly wotn remrry.

Curryong

I have read that in the early years the Queen liked Fergie's breezy, jokey style and liking for horseriding and the country lifestyle. Of course, this was ages before she cheated on Andrew. She did invite Fergie to stay at Balmoral with her last year, not just in a nearby house but in the actual castle, but Fergie had to clear out after a time because Prince Philip was arriving!