Camilla \'Broke Prince Charles\'s heart\' books claim says

Started by sara8150, June 24, 2017, 01:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sara8150

Camilla 'Broke Prince Charles's Heart' and He Begged Her to Call off Her First Wedding, New Book Claims
New Biography of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall on Her Affair with Prince Charles

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 01:05:17 AM

Camilla's side of the story: Her love affair with Prince Charles rocked the monarchy. Now friends reveal he begged her to call off her wedding, wept the night before he married Diana - and how she was convinced to go back to him 'to preserve his sanity'
Camilla's side of the story revealed in explosive new book | Daily Mail Online

Curryong

How interesting that this book by guess who, Penny Junor, comes out on June 29th only a few weeks before the 20th anniversary of Diana's death and the two documentaries on her death and funeral in which her sons speak about it. Interesting and calculated, especially as it is being serialised in the Daily Fail.
This also makes clear what the feeler article in the press a little while ago about Camilla being a prisoner in her own home, getting bad publicity and dealing with it etc etc  was all about.

How great that Junor was given the task of airbrushing this romance, and the adultery that came from it, to the British public. She, of course, has had the full cooperation of Clarence House and Camilla and Charles's friends for this.

A nice present, some reading material for the Queen and Prince Philip on the summer hols at Balmoral. They can recall those great days of the War of the Wales's, which in a funny way seems to be developing in another form nowadays!

amabel

I don't relaly see how this is going to be any good for Camilla. 

Curryong

I've read some of the excerpt so far featured in the Daily Fail and Penny Junor quotes friends of Camilla's, so I think it's pretty clear that this book has been cleared by Clarence House. Where is Mark Bolland when needed!!  :wink: I expect those working for Charles want some publicity for Camilla before the 20th anniversary of Diana's death with its resulting spotlight by the media.  :hehe:

Whether this book will be good publicity for C depends I suppose on the public reaction to the serialisation in the DM and to a lesser extent its reviews and the responses of people who buy it. I intend to purchase it if it's on kindle, not because I'm a Camilla fan, I certainly am not, but I'm curious as to whether more details will be disclosed of the C and C relationship in the lead-up to Charles and Diana's engagement and afterwards. I suspect it will be a whitewash of Camilla considering the author, but I live in hope.

Trudie

@ Curryong I agree another fairytale spun by Penny Junor I'm surprised it's title isn't Victim or Villain. Of course the publishing date is also two days before Diana's birthday such impeccable timing.  :thumbsdown:

royalanthropologist

Well Penny Junor does not like Diana, that much is clear. People can like or dislike someone. You can't force her to write things that you like or agree with. The best thing is that if you do not like what you see, don't buy the book. Simples.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

She is obsessed with not liking Diana. She's a known Charles adorer.

She is not making her books subjects look good no matter how she tries. Charles comes out like a blubbering baby.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 12:02:01 PM

Quote from: Curryong on June 24, 2017, 07:20:11 AM
I've read some of the excerpt so far featured in the Daily Fail and Penny Junor quotes friends of Camilla's, so I think it's pretty clear that this book has been cleared by Clarence House. Where is Mark Bolland when needed!!  :wink: I expect those working for Charles want some publicity for Camilla before the 20th anniversary of Diana's death with its resulting spotlight by the media.  :hehe:

Whether this book will be good publicity for C depends I suppose on the public reaction to the serialisation in the DM and to a lesser extent its reviews and the responses of people who buy it. I intend to purchase it if it's on kindle, not because I'm a Camilla fan, I certainly am not, but I'm curious as to whether more details will be disclosed of the C and C relationship in the lead-up to Charles and Diana's engagement and afterwards. I suspect it will be a whitewash of Camilla considering the author, but I live in hope.

So much for Camilla being discreet. With her confessions to the Sun in the eighties, she never really was. The author appears to have a crush on Camilla in another book she called her "sexy" and "endearing."

TLLK

QuoteI intend to purchase it if it's on kindle, not because I'm a Camilla fan, I certainly am not, but I'm curious as to whether more details will be disclosed of the C and C relationship in the lead-up to Charles and Diana's engagement and afterwards

You are a devoted royal history fan @Curryong so I'm not surprised that you'd read it. :thumbsup: Please share your review when you can.

royalanthropologist

Intellectual curiosity does not mean that anyone supports the behavior of people who are being profiled in a book. Indeed I would expect that a history buff would want to see many different view points so that they can get an accurate picture of their subject. If one only reads books that chime with their way of thinking then they will never really learn anything new. It just becomes a circle of confirmatory bias. I applaud Curryong for reading and will be interested in her reviews. Perhaps she can post them here if it is convenient for her. 
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

sandy

As I said, when I read one Junor book I read them all. I have read her books. I was disappointed in her Will and Harry books, she spent about 100 pages in each trashing Diana but I wanted to know more about Will and Harry! She has an agenda.

Duch_Luver_4ever

I applaud @Curryong for reading the book, its wise to keep up on what the other side is doing as far as ms. Junor's works. I fear from what ive read so far, her attempt to smooth things out for Camilla will only paint her into the corner Diana painted herself in the mid 90s when she went after married people.

According to this supposed non fiction, Camilla is supposed to be greatly stung by the pain of adultery and seeing her spouse step out on her, and with people close to them no less, yet rather than try to be a good example of what not to do, she goes out and joins Andrew in a race to the bottom.
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

sandy

What married people? Carling denied an affair. Hoare neither confirmed or denied. How come it's not the "married people" going after Diana?

Camilla and APB had as one writer put it a "Sexual competition." This is a throwback to the novel of Evelyn Waugh "Vile Bodies." That set did the same stuff as the Highgrove set.

APB is the new Ernest Simpson.

royalanthropologist

I actually do like the turn of phrase used by @Duch_Luver_4ever. It is a race to the bottom, literally and figuratively. Penny Junor can be a tad irritating with her simpering. Camilla is a mature and pragmatic woman. I think she can deal with an objective biography instead of this sentimental nonsense that reads like a public relations announcement. "Oh, I was so hurt by my husband that I accidentally fell and found myself in the Prince of Wales's bed. Oh...I did it all to save the marriage but it went wrong on me". There ought to be some quality control on royal biographers. Some of their output leaves a lot to be desired.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 05:26:15 PM

@sandy, I have actually never read vile bodies. I will download the film if it is there on Monday and watch it. Sounds promising, if the title is anything to go by.

sandy

Oh please Camilla and Junor are friends. They have been seen socializing together. Apparently Camilla enjoys Junor's writing. Junor uses so many superlatives about Camilla in her books. Even if Charles begged her Camilla probably had ambitions for herself. If she canceled the wedding I think she would still be Charles' mistress not wife. I think she was biding her time. And Charles did not deprive himself of Camilla after she had APB's wedding ring on her finger.

royalanthropologist

"How come it's not the "married people" going after Diana?"

Simple explanation. Some people are insightful enough to know that no marriage really breaks down because of a third party a lone. Nobody can "steal" your husband if he does not want to be stolen. Mrs. Hoare is a mature woman in her responses and soon realized that it takes two to tangle. Unlike some I will not mention, she did not blame all her marital problems on a third party. She realized that her husband was wrong to consort with another woman and behaved with dignity in the aftermath.  Had Diana taken the same approach, she might have received a very different response from the queen and royal family.

sandy

Mrs Hoare has the purse strings in the marriage. They are still together. They live private lives and have moved on.

Camilla based her "defense" of being with Charles on APB cheating, is that behaving with dignity? I think not. She did it all by herself. Camilla blamed Diana for it all and I doubt she'll ever accept responsibility. Charles' party line is that he was rescued from  the "mad wife" by the mistress. How convenient. It seems Charles buddies always call Diana "mad" as their very weak defense since they have no qualifications in diagnosing anybody.

My point is it takes two to tango.

The business of the husband "not wanting to be stolen" is a bit simplistic. There can be husbands who have been with their wives for decades but have midlife crises and sneak around. That is not the wife's fault, it is the husband's fault because he wants to be young again so sneaks around on his spouse. I think blaming the wife is a cop out.

So in other words, Diana had to be a nun for the rest of her life while her husband got to cheat. And divorce was not easy. I find that rather biased in favor of the Prince.

royalanthropologist

Mrs. Hoare behaved with dignity. She never went on television to pour her heart out to all and sundry. She acknowledged that her husband was as much to blame for the affair as Diana. Of course he does have some credit for not stalking Diana with crank calls and is also not a hypocrite for deriding adultery when he himself was committing it.

I rather suspect that there were members of the royal family who were not happy about what Charles and Camilla was doing. People are bound to bond with a new wife, no matter how incompatible she is with the family. However, the fact that Diana started to attack Charles and institution in a very personal way turned the rest of the family against her. i understand princess Margaret was so incensed that she actually wrote a letter to Diana explaining why everyone felt she had let them down. The person that was ultimately supposed to be the matriarch of the family had now turned into a fifth columnist and had to be removed from the fold.

Diana was eventually exposed as a hypocrite and perpetual complainer about how her millionaire lifestyle was such a chore for her. Very different from Mrs. Hoare. Mrs. Hoare developed a strategy for dealing with her husband's infidelity and it seems to have worked for her. Diana not so much. She lashed out and tried to destroy Charles but ended up losing it all in the end. Not a good strategy IMO.

amabel

why would he "stalk Diana with crank calls" when he finished the affair?
No I don't think the RF were happy with the Charles and Cam affair, because it was dangerous and might lead to scandal...and the queen certainly is too religious to approve.. but they tolerated it, because it was clear that the C and Di marriage was a mess and they were bound to be leading separate lives.. because they hated beign together, after a time.  They ddi not mind Diana having her own lover, if it kept her quiet and happy, but they expected her to be discreet..and while she was careful, with Hewitt HE wasn't..and there was a very good chance that he would out the affair.
And I don't think they had much sympathy with Di, after the first year or 2.  They didn't see her as "poor Diana the cheated on wife" but as "stroppy miseralbe Diana" whom they suspected of talking ot the press, as time went on.

royalanthropologist

That is just it @amabel. I was merely pointing out the logical inconsistency of those who try to blame Hoare for somehow inspiring Diana to make crank calls to his wife. He never did and I do not really criticize him as much as I criticize Diana on this one because she was the one who went to the press and complained about her adulterous husband then went on to do the same thing. Many Diana fans try so hard to blame everyone else but her for the bad decisions she made. That is what I was trying to highlight with that comment.

amabel

well yes it is pretty stupid of Di to complain that her husband (a) had a close friendshsp with Camilla which affected their marriage in its early days and (b) had a full blown affair with Camilla. and then go on and have a close friendship with the newly married WIll Carling that drove his wife to ask for a divorce.. and then went on to have an affair with the married Ol Hoare.
which is why I point out that whatever Camilla is criticised for doing, DIana had done much the same thing.
Whoever initiated the Hoare affair, Diana was very attracted to him and they had an affair for some time.  But when he went back to his wife, Di was the one who chased after him and clearly didn't want the affair to end.  So she did not care that Diane H wanted her husband back home..
if she didn't want an affair with him even if he had chased her ardently.. all she ahd to do was say no. 

sandy

Well once again, Diana did not have lovers watching her get married. Charles had two watching him get married including Camilla. Camilla was involved in the marriage from the get go.  The Carlings had other issues and Julia did not name Diana as co-respondent in any divorce suit. Junor even thinks there was no affair.  Carling denied an affair. Hoare neither confirmed or denied a physical affair. What is "some time"? I don't think Diana and Hoare lasted beyond 1994. She met Khan in 1995. Diana did not have to "chase" anybody she was a very attractive and iconic woman. It's like the men that pursued Jackie O. She did not chase them. All Hoare had to do was say no and resist any impulse to get involved with Diana. WHy is the woman always blamed? It is totally different than the Camilla scenario. Charles had dumped DIana after she had the heir and spare. Camilla systematically worked to undermine Diana.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 07:27:38 PM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 24, 2017, 06:26:31 PM
That is just it @amabel. I was merely pointing out the logical inconsistency of those who try to blame Hoare for somehow inspiring Diana to make crank calls to his wife. He never did and I do not really criticize him as much as I criticize Diana on this one because she was the one who went to the press and complained about her adulterous husband then went on to do the same thing. Many Diana fans try so hard to blame everyone else but her for the bad decisions she made. That is what I was trying to highlight with that comment.

So why shouldn't Hoare be blamed? He had a track record of extra-curricular activities and no passive object. Diana had every right to complain about Camilla. She was spot on about Camilla.  Camilla cries wolf now about how her husband APB "caused her" to sleep with Charles. Yet she gets a free pass.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 07:29:16 PM

Quote from: amabel on June 24, 2017, 06:16:28 PM
why would he "stalk Diana with crank calls" when he finished the affair?
No I don't think the RF were happy with the Charles and Cam affair, because it was dangerous and might lead to scandal...and the queen certainly is too religious to approve.. but they tolerated it, because it was clear that the C and Di marriage was a mess and they were bound to be leading separate lives.. because they hated beign together, after a time.  They ddi not mind Diana having her own lover, if it kept her quiet and happy, but they expected her to be discreet..and while she was careful, with Hewitt HE wasn't..and there was a very good chance that he would out the affair.
And I don't think they had much sympathy with Di, after the first year or 2.  They didn't see her as "poor Diana the cheated on wife" but as "stroppy miseralbe Diana" whom they suspected of talking ot the press, as time went on.

What happened between Hoare and Diana is known only to them. He's going to keep quiet. She's dead.

The Queen tolerating Camilla sleeping with Charles was downright hypocritical.

Of course they would not sympathize with Diana, Darling Charles was born into that family. Blood is thicker than water.

Double post auto-merged: June 24, 2017, 07:32:19 PM

Quote from: royalanthropologist on June 24, 2017, 06:08:43 PM
Mrs. Hoare behaved with dignity. She never went on television to pour her heart out to all and sundry. She acknowledged that her husband was as much to blame for the affair as Diana. Of course he does have some credit for not stalking Diana with crank calls and is also not a hypocrite for deriding adultery when he himself was committing it.

I rather suspect that there were members of the royal family who were not happy about what Charles and Camilla was doing. People are bound to bond with a new wife, no matter how incompatible she is with the family. However, the fact that Diana started to attack Charles and institution in a very personal way turned the rest of the family against her. i understand princess Margaret was so incensed that she actually wrote a letter to Diana explaining why everyone felt she had let them down. The person that was ultimately supposed to be the matriarch of the family had now turned into a fifth columnist and had to be removed from the fold.

Diana was eventually exposed as a hypocrite and perpetual complainer about how her millionaire lifestyle was such a chore for her. Very different from Mrs. Hoare. Mrs. Hoare developed a strategy for dealing with her husband's infidelity and it seems to have worked for her. Diana not so much. She lashed out and tried to destroy Charles but ended up losing it all in the end. Not a good strategy IMO.

You think she was exposed as a hypocrite. She had every right to complain. She went into the marriage in good faith> Charles did not.

How do you know what Mrs Hoare "acknowledged?" She never said anything and you say she did not so how do you know what she thought?

Charles attacked Diana as you put it. He went to the honeymoon wearing cufflinks from the Mistress. He made fun of and put down Diana. He was and is no saint.

Too bad Camilla did not respond to his boo hooing, left APB and Diana would have been spared. Though I rather suspect he still would have kept her as the nanny mistress and found the suitable girl to marry.

TLLK

Quotewhich is why I point out that whatever Camilla is criticised for doing, DIana had done much the same thing

And Charles and Andrew PB and Oliver Horare etc...There was quite a bit of bed hopping going on during those years. :wacko:

sandy

The bed hopping of C and C and A were going on for years. Camilla had to take time off from Charles to have babies with APB. But Charles was  big baby himself. Hoare never confirmed or denied any "bed hopping" with Diana. Camilla was said to have had a lot of experience already before she met Charles. The three of them C and C and APB were never much to look at

Trudie

Quote from: amabel on June 24, 2017, 06:38:34 PM
well yes it is pretty stupid of Di to complain that her husband (a) had a close friendshsp with Camilla which affected their marriage in its early days and (b) had a full blown affair with Camilla. and then go on and have a close friendship with the newly married WIll Carling that drove his wife to ask for a divorce.. and then went on to have an affair with the married Ol Hoare.
which is why I point out that whatever Camilla is criticised for doing, DIana had done much the same thing.
Whoever initiated the Hoare affair, Diana was very attracted to him and they had an affair for some time.  But when he went back to his wife, Di was the one who chased after him and clearly didn't want the affair to end.  So she did not care that Diane H wanted her husband back home..
if she didn't want an affair with him even if he had chased her ardently.. all she ahd to do was say no. 

Not Exactly the same thing. If and it has never been proven that Carling and Diana had an affair and to be honest not one of Diana's former employees even confirmed it like Carling even after her death, Diana never tried to befriend the wife unlike Camilla. As for Hoare the only reference to that came from Wharfe not even Burrell acknowledged that.

TLLK

Quote from: sandy on June 24, 2017, 10:08:40 PM
The bed hopping of C and C and A were going on for years. Camilla had to take time off from Charles to have babies with APB. But Charles was  big baby himself. Hoare never confirmed or denied any "bed hopping" with Diana. Camilla was said to have had a lot of experience already before she met Charles. The three of them C and C and APB were never much to look at
Regarding Horare and Diana we'll have to agree to disagree @sandy. Charles, Diana, Camilla, and Andrew PB were all committing adultery with a variety of lovers during those years.