The Commonwealth Games 2014

Started by PrincessOfPeace, July 23, 2014, 11:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteUpon their arrival on Wednesday at Glasgow Central Station, The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh headed to the official opening of the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

Her Majesty and Prince Philip were joined by Charles and Camilla at a reception to mark the opening of the Games. Also attending were the Earl of Wessex, who is vice patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation, and The Countess of Wessex. The Royal party met and spoke with invited heads of state and government as well as other dignitaries.
More: Royal Wednesday: Queen opens Commonwealth games

sara8150

Macrobug

She looked rather amused with the whole baton issue :P
GNU Terry Pratchett

sara8150

'Shared ideals and ambitions': The Queen highlights the 'bonds that unite' the Commonwealth - after fumble to open 'Rubik's Cube' baton to find message
The Queen highlights 'bonds that unite' the Commonwealth | Mail Online

Double post auto-merged: July 24, 2014, 03:25:41 AM

Queen Elizabeth opens 2014 Commonwealth Games
British royals attend Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - hellomagazine.com

cate1949

grand evening looked as if everyone including HM enjoyed it.  Huge demonstration of her popularity.

cinrit

QuoteQueen Officially Opens the 2014 Commonwealth Games

The Queen has revealed what the secret message says she put in the Games' baton, as she officially opened the Commonwealth Games.

The baton has travelled more than 100,000 miles around the world visiting 71 nations before arriving back in Glasgow.

Reading it out as she formally declared the Games open, she said: "The baton relay represents a calling together of people from every part of the Commonwealth and serves as a reminder of our shared ideals and ambitions as a diverse, resourceful and cohesive family."

More: Queen officially opens the 2014 Commonwealth Games - ITV News

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

From Twitter (love it!!):

‏@_JaydeTaylor
Ahhh The Queen photo-bombed our selfie!!
Twitter / _JaydeTaylor: Ahhh The Queen photo-bombed ...

Cindy

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Quote from: cate1949 on July 24, 2014, 04:14:00 AM
grand evening looked as if everyone including HM enjoyed it.  Huge demonstration of her popularity.
I agree. The organizers, directors and cast deserve a huge round of applause for the very clever and entertaining opening ceremony. I loved the photos of the terriers leading the teams into the stadium. Nessie made an appearance too!!!

HereditaryPrincess

I'm also loving HM's photo bomb. I wonder if it was intentional, judging by her smile, or if she's smiling because she just realised she photo bombed a selfie. :D

Limabeany

The Queen photobombs Australian hockey team's selfies | Mail Online

As they posed for a celebratory selfie to mark their 4-0 win against Malaysia at the Commonwealth Games, these two Australian hockey players probably didn't think their day could get any better.

Little did they know their selfie was about to be given the royal seal of approval as Queen Elizabeth II joined in the latest social media craze and 'photobombed' them.

The Queen, who met with the Hockeyroos after their match, poked her head into the background of the photo and smiled for the camera.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

cate1949

loved the "photobombed" pic

looks like the games are turning out well - HM certainly having fun

cinrit

QuoteA Touch of Lipstick in Public? The Queen Is One of Us

Gasps of excitement met the photographs of Her Majesty the Queen casually touching up her lipstick at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony on Wednesday night, in full view of cameras and crowds.

I imagine herds of royal biographers knocking over their nightcap whisky-toddies as they stumbled to the keyboard to dash off a new chapter for the next edition.

"A new informality," they tapped urgently, "was signalled in Glasgow in 2014, a mere month ahead of the Scottish independence referendum. Who knows what thoughts were going through the monarch's mind as, with trembling hand, she ensured that this, possibly her last appearance as Queen of a United Kingdom, should not only be perfect but subtly signify the particular intimacy of her Balmoral self?"

But there is a more interesting significance to this small, unprecedented gesture (assisted, squeak insiders, by the fact that in the bottom of the Queen's sparsely filled bag is always a mirror).

More: A touch of lipstick in public? The Queen is one of us - Telegraph

Cindy

wannable

As a sports woman, I really enjoy this, fun stuff and unique. Go Aussies go. Haha

Mom was captain of the basketball team ;) hurra.

cinrit

QuoteThe Queen and Camilla Loosen Up on the Lippy at Commonwealth Games

The royal family's quest to be perceived as down-to-earth folk continued when both the Queen and Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, were photographed touching up their make-up in public last week.

While the Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, has been recycling outfits from three years ago for recent official functions, the Queen and her  daughter-in-law, Camilla, were both snapped reapplying their lipstick at the Commonwealth Games' opening ceremony in Glasgow.

This is not the first time the Queen has been caught freshening up on the job. In 1985, she was snapped popping on some bright pink lippy in the royal box while waiting for hubby Prince Philip to participate in a dressage event at the Windsor Horse Show.

Twenty-six years later, in 2011, her majesty was photographed again doing what many of her subjects usually do in the bathroom, or the car, while attending the Highland Games' Braemar Gathering in Braemar, near Aberdeen. 

More: The Queen and Camilla loosen up on the lippy at Commonwealth Games 

Cindy

Lady Adams

This is nothing new for the Queen-- I remember a story of First Lady Laura Bush applying lipstick in public and she told those around her that the Queen said she did it!  :thumbsup:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

Quote from: wannable on July 26, 2014, 08:36:43 PM
As a sports woman, I really enjoy this, fun stuff and unique. Go Aussies go. Haha

Mom was captain of the basketball team ;) hurra.
So, it's a family thing.  :hug: How lovely, sports are so wonderful for families!

cinrit

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 29, 2014, 12:59:31 PM
This is nothing new for the Queen-- I remember a story of First Lady Laura Bush applying lipstick in public and she told those around her that the Queen said she did it!  :thumbsup: 

In the article, there are a couple of other pictures of the Queen applying lipstick in public, aside from the Commonwealth picture.  And I think I have another one, but I can't remember where it's from.  I'm curious, though ... if she doesn't use a mirror, how does she know she needs to re-apply? :D

Cindy

Lady Adams

^^ She's the Queen, Cindy, maybe she just knows  ;)
This reminds me...I need some new lipstick for the fall. Anyone know what brand the Queen uses?

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

Elizabeth Arden and Clarins.  Department store brands.  I still use drugstore brands. :lol:

Cindy