Real IRA boss plotted to blow up Charles and Camilla on 2015 visit

Started by TLLK, November 03, 2017, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLLK

Real IRA boss plotted to blow up Charles and Camilla | Daily Mail Online

Lest we forget that not all of the UK's and Ireland's terrorist plots are from Islamist or Protestant extremists. The Real IRA has taken over for the group fka the IRA. :no: Like most terrorists, they'd have aimed to kill or injure as many people as possible not just the royals.

Quotee two men were heard in the recording of April 19 discussing a location 'around 400 metres from the target'. Detective Sergeant Pádraig Boyce said that the location being discussed was approximately 400 metres from the Cross of Sacrifice, a monument in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin, commemorating British and Irish soldiers who fought in World War I

Duch_Luver_4ever

Id like to make a black humor joke about bloody tossers not being able to get anything right, as if there was any royal to be done in, they would be the ones to cause me the least discomort, but for those of us that lived through the "troubles" and things like the blanks shooting at the Queen before C&D's wedding and the ppl breaking into BP, blanks shooting at Charles, etc. there does seem to be a bit of oddities around the royal security.

On the one hand, theyre supposed to have the best security, next to perhaps the President of the US, and every so often we hear of a supposedly elaborate plot foiled, yet at the same time it seems almost any old jobber can take a potshot at them.

Now I know theyre out in the public, and no security can stop everything, all the time, even US presidents have been shot at, but it almost seems to me like the IRA vs the RF seems like a WWE type match, where its either done so poorly or intentionally fake to either boost the security budget, or spread panic amongst the citizens (yes, i know it sounds a bit tin foil hat) but when you think about it, with really one major target, they seems to do about as "good" a job as Wily Coyote does against the Road Runner. It was only when Mountbatten ran so afoul of basic operational security that they had a chance at him.

I wonder if the mid east terror groups laugh at the ineffectiveness of the IRA vs the royals. While those groups have occasionally spoke out against the royals, it seems theyre not overly concerned about them as a target, but I do have to say it would seem if they really wanted them gone, theyd have their hands full.

I wonder if its the IRA's relative unwillingness to sacrifice themselves in the attack like those groups often do that limits their effectiveness. Kind of ironic that while religious differences are at the root of the conflict, its also those same religions that are likely saving the royals from harder to defend attacks (the christian/catholic rule against suicide vs the concept of martyrs in that other religion).

What do you guys think?
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

royalanthropologist

I am ashamed to say that I had similar thoughts @Duch_Luver_4ever so maybe you have company in sardonic humor :hehe:.

The BRF has to balance out their PR with security. They can't afford the military style arrogant presidential entourage like US leaders. They must appear to be one with the people (walk abouts) yet also catering for security behind the scenes. For example, you can't have pre-approved lists for attending coronations and weddings but at the same time you have to cater for the nutters that might want to make a scene.

Having said all that, you may be onto something in terms of incompetence on the part of the British security forces. Too many incidents like these are happening.
"In the past, people were born royal. Nowadays, royalty comes from what you do"...Gianni Versace

Duch_Luver_4ever

I kind of figured we had similar humor habits  :lol: the part I always find odd is they break up some complicated plot involving many ppl such as the plot on the Duran Duran concert back in 85, i believe, but some nutter can walk into BP and chat with the Queen.

Its that dichotomy that concerns me, i remember reading security fretted back in the day when the queen went riding on a misty day that the IRA had a thermal sight to see through the mist, if so, they could stop that, but when some nutter decides to take a shot at the Queen like in trooping the colour, they use blanks.

Not saying I wanted her shot by any means, but if youre gonna go through the headache of the consequences of doing that, seems crazy to go through all that if youre not going to actually follow through on it, if you know what I mean.

"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.

FanDianaFancy

Oh my.
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the IRA had really ceased. You have splinter group, The Real IRA.

Terriosts and very dangerous.

Hello Scotland Yard.

Duch_Luver_4ever

Reminds me of New Coke and Coke Classic LOL. Idk if it was just the technology and planning back in the day, but there always seems something not quite right in the whole IRA and other groups threatening the RF. When William was born a woman ran up and kissed Charles, now you can see the security guy upset, im guessing cause if shed instead been an IRA or other group she could have gotten a shot at him.

Seems such an odd mix of on the one hand complex plots supposedly "foiled" due to state of the art security, but then you get lone nutters having a chance at them, but in seemingly usual British fashion, they only fire blanks, wouldnt see that in the US.

Maybe its my tin foil hat but seems to me most of these events seem geared to justify the spending on security, and when ppl start to balk or TPTB think were complacent, a nutter shoots some banks or scales the fence at BP.

I would think with todays tactics that are used if certain groups wanted the RF gone theyd be able to do it at most of these engagements.

TLLK

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on November 22, 2017, 08:01:34 PM
Oh my.
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought the IRA had really ceased. You have splinter group, The Real IRA.

Terriosts and very dangerous.

Hello Scotland Yard.
Yes the IRA has been replaced by The Real IRA which will not accept the cease fire.

Real Irish Republican Army (IRA) Profile

Duch_Luver_4ever

Its funny after the whole early war on terror and gitmo, the IRA got realllllll quiet. I think they always figured the US would keep the UK on a leash from going too far in stamping them out, but after 9/11, they likely worried all bets are off.