Testino: 'When I met Diana, I knew from the start this shoot would be different'

Started by cinrit, January 18, 2014, 04:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

Scroll down a little:

QuoteThen came Diana, Princess of Wales. In 1997, Christie's put up for auction 79 of the Princess's gowns. Meredith Etherington-Smith, who helped organise the event, decided she should be photographed in Vogue and Vanity Fair. But who would photograph the world's most famous woman? Lord Snowdon, with his royal connections, seemed a natural for Vogue. "Meredith then suggested Diana collaborate with someone new for Vanity Fair — and suggested me," remembers Testino. I ask if he had a sense of how important those photographs would be: "I knew from the start that this shoot was different. It would make us."

He was right. Testino portrayed an arresting beauty who exuded sex appeal — but also, it seemed, an intense longing for love. The photographs caused a sensation.

The photographer was a little in awe of his subject, he admits: "I was amazed by this person who, even though she had everything, would go to feed the homeless and visit sick children and Aids victims. It was like a fairy tale. Who was she really? Why did she do this? She was trying to find love. I wanted the world to see her kindness, her humility: I think she realised that would be her way."

More: Mario Testino: 'When I met Diana, I knew from the start that this shoot would be different' - Telegraph

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.