Mark Shand has died after injuring his head in fall outside NY club

Started by PrincessOfPeace, April 23, 2014, 05:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FanDianaFancy

Shand was Diana's  mother's  second  marriage name.
I wondered that too.

cinrit

Diana's mother married an Australian man with the surname Shand-Kydd.  So, no relation.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

HereditaryPrincess

^^^ Thanks cinrit. :) Although I do think it's a little strange that their not related, as Shand doesn't seem to be a very common surname. However this can happen - just because you have the same surname as someone else, doesn't mean you're related. (One of my relatives used to claim that she was related to a famous person because they had the same surname, but they weren't, just as a personal example.)

sara8150

Eri

Diana's fanatics are behaving horribly on The Daily Fail comments section !!! :censored2: The man had nothing to do with The Prince's first marriage !!!

sandy

I don't hold anything against Mark. He is not Camilla plus he did not trade in on his sister's marriage to Charles.

Double post auto-merged: April 25, 2014, 04:47:11 PM

Quote from: sara8150 on April 25, 2014, 01:41:03 AM
Now Charles can save Camilla, just as she saved him in his darkest hour following the death of Queen Mother
Now Charles can save Camilla, just as she saved him in his darkest hour following the death of Queen Mother | Mail Online

At the time the Queen Mum died and soon after her funeral, Charles and Camilla flew to Scotland to claim his inheritance from her. I remember the story of Charles bringing Camilla to Craithie Church a place she could not go to in the Queen Mums lifetime. I don't think Camilla was all that fond of the Queen Mum considering how she told Charles she wanted no C and C wedding in her lifetime. This story sounds like romance novel drivel.  I'm sorry the Shands lost Mark but to cheapen it into a Saint Camilla promotion is nauseating.

Double post auto-merged: April 25, 2014, 04:55:05 PM

Quote from: Eri on April 25, 2014, 03:17:15 PM
Diana's fanatics are behaving horribly on The Daily Fail comments section !!! :censored2: The man had nothing to do with The Prince's first marriage !!!

Nobody is trashing Mark. But they are trashing the cheap PR ploy of promoting "saint Camilla" who saved Charles. From what? Himself? This is supposed to be about Mark not about Camilla "comforting" Charles.

TLLK

Sorry to see that anyone would take the opportunity to speak poorly in a time like this one. Trolls can be found anywhere.

Eri

Quote from: sandy on April 25, 2014, 04:40:46 PM
I don't hold anything against Mark. He is not Camilla plus he did not trade in on his sister's marriage to Charles.

Double post auto-merged: April 25, 2014, 04:47:11 PM

Now Charles can save Camilla, just as she saved him in his darkest hour following the death of Queen Mother
Now Charles can save Camilla, just as she saved him in his darkest hour following the death of Queen Mother | Mail Online

At the time the Queen Mum died and soon after her funeral, Charles and Camilla flew to Scotland to claim his inheritance from her. I remember the story of Charles bringing Camilla to Craithie Church a place she could not go to in the Queen Mums lifetime. I don't think Camilla was all that fond of the Queen Mum considering how she told Charles she wanted no C and C wedding in her lifetime. This story sounds like romance novel drivel.  I'm sorry the Shands lost Mark but to cheapen it into a Saint Camilla promotion is nauseating.

Double post auto-merged: April 25, 2014, 04:55:05 PM

Quote from: Eri on April 25, 2014, 03:17:15 PM

Nobody is trashing Mark. But they are trashing the cheap PR ploy of promoting "saint Camilla" who saved Charles. From what? Himself? This is supposed to be about Mark not about Camilla "comforting" Charles.
PR ploy by Di's friend to whom she leaked? That doesn't make sense ...

Trudie

^ Makes perfect sense to me Eri after all Diana has been dead almost 17 years and Charles and Camilla are closer to the throne. Kay does earn his living as a journalist and a royal one at  that. He does need his job so why not cultivate and redeem himself to Charles and Camilla.

sandy

My point that it is wrong on many levels to use Mark Shand's death to write a promotion piece about how Camilla helped Charles in his grief over the Queen Mum. Totally irrelevant since this is not about Camilla and  Charles but Mark Shand.  The ones who should be written about are his next of kin including his lovely young daughter.

cinrit

QuoteMark Shand - Obituary

Mark Shand, who has died aged 62, was the brother of the Duchess of Cornwall and a noted conservationist.

An adventurer in the best sense of the word, Shand never tied himself to anything so tedious as a full-time job. Among his earliest heroes was the 19th-century explorer Sir Richard Burton, and his exploits included riding on horseback through the Andes, journeying to Tibet and being shipwrecked in the western Pacific during a hurricane. His first book, Skulduggery (1987), told of an expedition to an uncharted territory in the Indonesian archipelago, Irian Jaya, which was said to be seething with cannibals.

All this might have degenerated into a life of exotic dilettantism. But while travelling in India in 1988, Shand come across an emaciated captive female elephant being used for begging purposes by her owners: “My mouth went dry,” he later wrote of the moment when he first saw her. “I knew then that I had to have her.” He bought the animal, named her Tara and rode her 750 miles from Konarak on the Bay of Bengal to the Sonepur Mela, the ancient elephant trading fair at Patna on the Ganges. Travels on My Elephant (1992), his account of the journey, was a bestseller and won him the Travel Writer of the Year Award.

More: Mark Shand - obituary - Telegraph

QuoteDaughter of Mark Shand Posts Touching Photo of Late Father on Facebook

The daughter of Mark Shand, the Duchess of Cornwall's brother, paid tribute to her late father on Facebook today.

Ayesha Shand, 19, posted a moving photo of her and the 62-year-old smiling together on the social networking site.

The teenager was in Italy when Camilla's brother died in New York after a fund raising event for his Elephant Family charity.

More: Mark Shand: Daughter Ayesha posts touching photo of late father on Facebook | Royal | News | Daily Express

Cindy

sandy

That's the way it should be Cindy (the articles you posted) and the press avoid the opportunity of playing up to C and C by bringing up an irrelevant story about the Queen Mum.  The press did not have the bad taste to do this when Camilla's father passed on, I guess the media is on a feeding frenzy now to butter up C and C. Cindy, I know the daughter was mentioned but I still think dragging C and C spin into it is in poor taste. It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Lothwen

You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

FanDianaFancy

I agree as well.  We are  not being critical of anyone here, but of the media as usual.

Double post auto-merged: April 26, 2014, 07:41:29 PM

That is the  game of media, some of the  so-called  journalist anyway.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteUncle Mark is dead. Four words I never thought I'd write. It never even crossed my mind that Mark would cease to be.

Idiotic, I know, but such was the raw power of his personality, the blinding glare of his charm, the sheer force and magnetism of his character, that I never imagined life without him. None of us did. Other people die. Normal folk expire. Not Mark.

Death is for pencil-pushers, bank managers and pompous golf club bores. But now he's gone. Ripped from our grasp. Way before his time.
More: The greatest uncle a boy could have: In an utterly heartwrenching and deeply personal homage, Camilla's son breaks his family's silence on the death

sandy

I'm glad he's paying tribute to his uncle. Better than his name dropping Sir that's for sure.

Princess Cassandra

It's beautiful written.  It helps you to see what a remarkable man he was and the strong influence he had on his nieces and nephews, and I'm sure, his daughter.  I confess I never knew anything about him before.

Eri

The fact some had it in them to talk nonsense when the man's body wasn't even cold yet is mind blowing ...

Limabeany

When Charles' affair with Camilla was first made public by author Andrew Morton – and then by the execrable 'Camillagate' tape – the Prince could hide away while Camilla had the paparazzi camped on her doorstep.

In fact, as I revealed it was the 'outing' of Camilla which incensed the prince more than any other aspect of the whole sorry saga of his break-up with Diana – and he held her personally responsible for it.

Diana later told me how, ignoring her own despair at the unravelling of their lives, Charles had pointedly complained about 'poor Camilla' being thrust into the spotlight.
The irony remained with Diana for the rest of her life.

Camilla will now be hoping those princely qualities will be devoted to her. In recent months she had begun finding that her role as a full-time royal, taking on more duties as the Queen reduces her workload, had placed a barrier with her existence beyond palace life.

Her friends found it harder and harder to see her and, according to a close aide, this had made her lonely. 'It was no criticism of Charles, it was just a fact of life of the system,' says the friend.

The only people she saw regularly were the family: her children Tom and Laura and her grandchildren, and Annabel and Mark. Annabel and her husband, businessman Simon Elliot, had been an indispensable part of her transition into royal life after Diana's death in 1997.

[Camilla] has become the most valued figure in the life of the prince, one who has helped to soften him and soothe away those princely anxieties

Charles, says friends, will do 'whatever she wants'. As one close friend says: 'He loves her and he is a very kind and caring man. He does feel things keenly and he will be both shaken himself and hate watching her grief.

'So he will have to try and balance all the usual duty stuff with looking after her. Actually he is good at showing loving kindness – much more so than his parents.'

Ten years after their Windsor wedding, their marriage is more secure than ever. In a few short weeks it will be 20 years since Charles' television confession about his adultery with the then Mrs Parker Bowles, the third person in the Wales's crowded marriage.

Two decades on the woman once described as the 'most reviled in the country' occupies a position of affection with large swathes of the country.

We have come to appreciate the deep and affectionate relationship which exists between her and the Prince of Wales. She has become the most valued figure in the life of the prince, one who has helped
to soften him and soothe away those princely anxieties.

Now in the depth of the loss of her brother, it is Charles who must put aside other distractions to be the dependable figure in her life.
Is there any event not sacred or emotional enough to them that they wouldn't consider using it to advance their pr agendas?  :no:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

SophieChloe

The death of the Queen Mother was his darkest time?...She was very old, she had a great and grand life.  What about the premature death of Diana, the Mother of his children. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Limabeany

That is exactly what my friend said a few minutes ago, she lost her husband 15 years ago, and she said telling her young boys (11 & 6) that he was dead and watching them cry and grieve tore her up even more than her own grief...
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

sandy

Charles was the one who named Camilla--he confessed adultery then his secretary publicly confirmed that Camilla was the one he cheated with. Morton never named Camilla "mistress" to Charles and Charles friends denied that there was any affair.  Charles does not seem a kind and caring person to me. And neither does Camilla.  Charles never showed loving kindness to his first wife, he was downright nasty to her even making fun of her bulimia.

And pushing their agenda at the time of her brother's death is just poor taste.

cinrit

I think it's the media that's pushing their agenda, not Charles or Camilla.  The only thing we've heard from them about Mark's death is a notice that was put on Charles' website.

Cindy

sandy

It is subject to speculation if Charles PR team has anything to do with these promotional articles (that sound like bad romance novels) or is it the possibility that writers want to win points with C and C and possible get honors for journalism.