Duchess of Cambridge' tour wardrobe / fashion / style ,.etc

Started by Princessinwaiting, April 06, 2014, 02:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

^^ Thanks for that, LA.  What an interesting lady/ladies.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Jenee

Quote from: cinrit on April 24, 2014, 04:36:24 PM
Strictly speaking, a nun is cloistered within a monastery and wears a habit, usually black.  A sister takes the same vows, except for cloistering, and lives and works "in the world".  That said, except for very religious Roman Catholics, most people don't distinguish between the two (I don't).  I worked with six or seven sisters, and none of them wore habits.  Skirt and blouse, and sometimes, slacks and casual tops.  But I can't remember ever seeing any of them in brightly-colored clothing.  The colors that they wore were either black or navy blue, or an almost faded version of other colors.

Cindy

Kind of off topic but thanks for that bit of trivia!! I went to catholic school and didn't realize that! All the nuns that taught at my school wore black habits, though I would occasionally see them in "street clothes" around town.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

cinrit

^^ You're welcome, Jenee.  They wore heavy black habits when I was in Catholic school, too.  Back then, they hadn't started wearing "civilian" clothing yet, and I used to wonder how they didn't completely melt in the hot sun during the summers. :D

Cindy

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteAfter 51 engagements, 12 cities, and more than a dozen Kate Middleton outfit changes, the royal tour down under has come to an end.
Kate Middleton Wears Grey Coat Dress For Final Day Of Tour

Lady Adams

My overall thoughts on Kate's wardrobe are that the tour over all was a miss for me. Canada was much better, as was SE Asia, but I felt like Australia/NZ lacked cohesiveness. In Canada, there were a lot of sheath dresses, and navy blue. Her hair was glossy and chocolate brown.

My favorite look was the Jenny Peckham cocktail dress. But I have many dislikes: the pink McQueen (too low), the Catherine Walker (too many buttons) or both the Roksanda Ilincic dresses (yellow too bright; brown too drab).

I would have liked to see Kate wear more NZ/Aussie designers. I don't understand why she wore so many American ones (Tory Burch, Michael Kors, Lela Rose). Maybe she packed for the wrong tour?  :shrug:
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

QuoteKate's £50,000 Fashion Show: The Mail's Fashion Editor Gives Her Verdict on the Duchess of Cambridge's Style on Tour Down Under

Throughout the three-week tour Down Under, The Duchess of Cambridge has wowed us with a variety of more than 25 stylish and elegant outfits.

Her wardrobe was a mix of High Street and designer - and is thought to have cost a total of around £49,560.

Here, fashion editor ELIZA SCARBOROUGH gives her verdict on Kate's style on tour and reveals how much each look cost (individual totals for each outfit  include items worn more than once).

More: Kate's £50,000 fashion show: The verdict on Duchess of Cambridge's style on tour down under | Mail Online

Cindy

FanDianaFancy

Sisters/Nuns wear the colors of their relgious order. Some wear  grey, black, blue, brown, etc.  I  could  usually tell an  order in my  city  when I  was young by their colors.

Lady Adams

Quote from: cinrit on April 26, 2014, 12:45:44 PM
QuoteKate's £50,000 Fashion Show: The Mail's Fashion Editor Gives Her Verdict on the Duchess of Cambridge's Style on Tour Down Under

Throughout the three-week tour Down Under, The Duchess of Cambridge has wowed us with a variety of more than 25 stylish and elegant outfits.

Her wardrobe was a mix of High Street and designer - and is thought to have cost a total of around £49,560.

Here, fashion editor ELIZA SCARBOROUGH gives her verdict on Kate's style on tour and reveals how much each look cost (individual totals for each outfit  include items worn more than once).

More: Kate's £50,000 fashion show: The verdict on Duchess of Cambridge's style on tour down under | Mail Online

Cindy
I hope they didn't forget her £13,000 charm necklace!
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

I didn't pay much attention ... when did she wear the necklace?  If it was £13,000, they've neglected to add it in.  They've got a picture of each outfit that she wore, with prices of everything underneath each picture.  But surely they're off, anyway ... wasn't there a rumor that she was having a £60,000 formal dress made?  And there's another article out there that claims her "fashion show" was worth £38,000.  They're all guessing.

Cindy

Lady Adams

HereditaryPrincess

I think Kate looked great (that rhymes, I should become a poet! :D ;)) during the tour, despite the odd miss. I think my favourite outfits are her red, blue and silverish coats.

Limabeany

Quote from: Lady Adams on April 26, 2014, 08:06:10 PM
Quote from: cinrit on April 26, 2014, 12:45:44 PM
I hope they didn't forget her £13,000 charm necklace!
They forgot the 4000 pounds Cartier watch... :monkey:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Limabeany

:orchid: It's not over, is it?  :sneeze:

CAMBRIDGE CONFIDENTIAL: Wills's precious maternity gift to Kate. Her £6,000 hairdos. George's VERY exclusive baby food... the intimate secrets of a

Kate adores the stylish stainless steel £3,600 Ballon Bleu de Cartier watch, which is embedded with a sapphire stone to match her Princess Diana engagement ring, and made sure she wore it every day  of the tour.

The brand carries a special significance for the couple. Princess Diana wore a yellow gold Cartier watch and had one engraved for William as a birthday gift, which remains one of his most treasured possessions.

Like the rest of the world, Kate appreciates her wonderful legs.  But the 'Duchess of Decorum' was certainly not planning to reveal so much flesh within seconds of her arrival on Antipodean soil.

Her decision not to insert weights into the hems of her outfits came back to haunt her when the breeze caught her coat on landing in Wellington, and plans are afoot to make sure this Marilyn Monroe moment does not happen again.

The Duchess's trusted wedges also raised eyebrows. When she arrived at Manly beach, aides had a pair of flat pumps at the ready, but Kate prefers to measure up alongside her 6ft 3in husband and left them in the car.

Not so clever. Images of Kate running to the surf in a Baywatch moment overshadowed her visit to Manly's Bear Cottage hospice – the most important engagement of the tour for the Duchess and where  she chose to give her only speech.

The Duchess's devotion to natural skin products meant she also came a cropper in the heat: she declined to use insect repellent on her face at Ayers Rock and as a result the flies were relentless.
One landed right on the tip of her nose during a photocall. 'They were all coming for us,' she joked afterwards.

Kate's haircuts down under cost her around £6,000 – the fee her personal hairdresser Amanda Cook Tucker was paid, not including travel.

She normally charges £150 a cut and blow dry but a friend revealed: 'Amanda charged twice what she normally does because this tour was so far away and so long.'

But for Kate, it was worth every penny, as she showcased new styles including a demi French roll in Christchurch, and a loop ponytail and an elegant low chignon for a state reception in Canberra.

Critics pointed out that the pins were visible – a real no-no – but Kate was thrilled with the mature styles.

HereditaryPrincess

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge is still the queen of wardrobe recycling as her 19-day Royal tour comes to an end - despite a coat dress worth £1,500 ($2,521 US, $2716.51 AU) becoming part of her envied clothing collection.
By refashioning favourite items such as her Stuart Weitzman cork wedges, navy Zara blazer and scarlet Luisa Spagnoli suit, Kate holds on to her thrifty throne.
The cheapest dress she wore while visiting New Zealand and Australia cost a mere £35 ($58 US, $63 AU), thanks to a sale at Hobbs in 2012.

Duchess of Cambridge Kate's £38,000 Royal Australian tour wardrobe | Mail Online

FanDianaFancy

:happy15:

Did I miss the  post about this? Is  it under fashion?
Mods,if  my  post  is moved somewhere , fine.

Her dress (yellow, light weight dress) flew  up in Canada  really revealing her  bottom.

While pregnant, her dress(whote, blue dots nad  blue jacket)   fly  up in that wedding pic   almost revealing her  front undies.

Australia  getting off the palne, good shot.

This will continue  and so be it.
Hopefully next time the gust  of wind will really show  her front  undies  or  whole backside.

She likes  it that way. So be it.

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

FanDianaFancy

Cool.  I thought  it  should be  here, wasn't sure.

Anyway , you guys, I  cannot find the  picture on the daily mail.com.
When K,DoC was leaqving the plane, NZ,   in the red dress carrying her son, her  front  coat and dress flew way, high up there!  :-)

cinrit

It's been discussed, I think in the New Zealand thread.  Her skirt flew up and we didn't see much of anything. :shrug:  The skirt of one of the women who welcomed her at the plane also flew up, but in the back.

Cindy

Limabeany

Quote from: FanDianaFancy on April 27, 2014, 08:55:59 PM
Anyway , you guys, I  cannot find the  picture on the daily mail.com.
When K,DoC was leaqving the plane, NZ,   in the red dress carrying her son, her  front  coat and dress flew way, high up there!  :-)
Is it this one?

Duchess of Cambridge Kate's £38,000 Royal Australian tour wardrobe | Mail Online

Or this one?

Kate Middleton, Prince George and Prince William in New Zealand: The best eight pictures from day one - Mirror Online

PrincessOfPeace

SophieChloe

Quote from: cinrit on April 27, 2014, 09:05:47 PM
It's been discussed, I think in the New Zealand thread.  Her skirt flew up and we didn't see much of anything. :shrug: The skirt of one of the women who welcomed her at the plane also flew up, but in th e back.

Cindy
Who cares about that lady?  She was not part of the royal PR tour.   

SophieChloe

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on April 27, 2014, 09:16:27 PM
VOGUE.CO.UK ‏@BritishVogue 12 mins

See every outfit from the Duchess of Cambridge's royal tour wardrobe here: Duchess of Cambridge Style & Fashion - Kate Middleton (Vogue.com UK)

Oh gawd, do we have to.   We've seen it all, loads of times over.....