Duchess of Cambridge - Malta Visit

Started by cinrit, July 06, 2014, 01:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaTerina Montague

Oh heck no. Walking down that aisle w/o falling would be bad enough for me, going on a solo tour would be terrifying. I would stay stuck to William for a decade before I went solo.
I don't know the history but I would think because it is just her it wouldn't be as long as her other tours. And I wonder who will get to be with George, staying with Daddy or going with mommy. I suspect she will take George, i can just hear the media out cry if she left him even if it is with his father.

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge will visit Malta on 20th and 21st September this year at the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of Malta's independence, the Palace has announced.

In her first solo overseas tour, Kate will visit the island – which gained independence from the United Kingdom on 21st September 1964 – on behalf of The Queen who last visited in 2007
More: Kate?s visit to Malta confirmed by Palace

cinrit

From Twitter:

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse  ·  2h
The Duchess of Cambridge's visit will mark the 50th anniversary of Malta's independence.

Clarence House @ClarenceHouse  ·  2h
The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Malta on 20th and 21st September 2014   
on behalf of The Queen.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

v_voom

That's great news she's on her first oversea solo tour. She'll be fine, she's much better when she's not accompanied by William. Hopefully, this solo appearance would be the first of many. I have not been happy with either her or William lately. Let's just hope they have heard the public and are progressing towards some changes now.
Proud Eurasian girl in London! ;)

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteGovernment confirms presence of Princess Kate for 50th anniversary celebrations of Independence in September

Princess Kate will be visiting Malta in September for the country's Independence celebrations.

In a statement government said that the Duchess of Cambridge will visit Malta on Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 September 2014 to represent Her Majesty The Queen on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Malta's Independence.
Princess Kate to visit Malta for Independence celebrations - MaltaToday.com.mt

Mar

Quote from: KaTerina Montague on July 13, 2014, 04:08:41 PM
... I suspect she will take George, i can just hear the media out cry if she left him even if it is with his father.
She didn't care about the media when she left her son (even when he was a tiny baby) for a whole week, to go to a beach break William

cate1949

surprised it is an overnight trip - although the distance would make that sensible

I think she'll be fine - long as she wears those pencil skirts!!

Limabeany

Quote from: Mar on July 21, 2014, 02:31:18 PM
Quote from: KaTerina Montague on July 13, 2014, 04:08:41 PM
... I suspect she will take George, i can just hear the media out cry if she left him even if it is with his father.
She didn't care about the media when she left her son (even when he was a tiny baby) for a whole week, to go to a beach break William
She cares and the media applauds her if she has to leave him to work, vacations she is fine with.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

PrincessOfPeace

Quote from: wannable on July 06, 2014, 03:09:57 PM
This would be her first foreign trip alone.

Has any of the spouses represented in a foreign trip capacity alone? If not, then the BRF is changing.

Not at an event as big as a country's Independence Day. The Duchess of Cornwall only made her first solo trip abroad last year to France and it wasn't representing the Queen, I can't find any information on The Countess of Wessex.

This is a significant milestone for both Kate and the BRF as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The Queen is obviously very comfortable with Kate to give her such a prestigious assignment and the fact it is 'only' for two days is irrelevant.

Kate representing the Queen in a foreign country marking its Independence Day from Britain is a very big deal.

Lady Adams

^As Emily Andrews wrote on Twitter, William is not going because of his new job. If he was available, I think he would be going.

I rather wonder if this had already been committed to, before William took a new job. However, I'm glad Kate is going. She won't be alone-- she'll have a team if staff there. This is a good chance for her to do some work.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

PrincessOfPeace

No announcement was made about William's plan for September, its all media speculation. The press in Malta have been talking about this for weeks and it was only as a solo trip, William was never mentioned.

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge is to take her first solo foreign tour, travelling to Malta on behalf of the Queen in September.

Kate will join celebrations to mark the 50th anniversary of Malta's independence from the UK on September 20th and 21st, Kensington Palace announced today.

In a sign of her confidence in her grandson's wife, the Queen has asked the Duchess to travel to the Mediterranean island which holds a special place in her heart.
More: Flying solo at last! The Duchess of Cambridge set for her first foreign tour alone as it is revealed that she will visit Malta in September | Mail

Lady Adams

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on July 21, 2014, 04:10:08 PM

Has any of the spouses represented in a foreign trip capacity alone? If not, then the BRF is changing.

Not at an event as big as a country's Independence Day. The Duchess of Cornwall only made her first solo trip abroad last year to France and it wasn't representing the Queen, I can't find any information on The Countess of Wessex.

This is a significant milestone for both Kate and the BRF as well as the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

The Queen is obviously very comfortable with Kate to give her such a prestigious assignment and the fact it is 'only' for two days is irrelevant.

Sophie was just in India and Qatar last year on behalf of the Queen-- and her trip lasted over a week with heavy duty engagements and speeches. She did a fabulous job in important countries with delicate diplomatic relations with Britain.

I'm sure there are other examples, too. Kate is not the first spouse to represent the Queen abroad.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

wannable

I think she went in behalf of ORBIS.

Anyway, this first for Kate can only be a great experience.

Lady Adams

^^That could totally be true.

I agree that this is good for Kate.

Curryong

Didn't Diana represent the BRF at Princess Grace's funeral?

cinrit

Press Release:

QuoteThe Duchess of Cambridge Will Visit Malta

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge will visit Malta on 20th and 21st September 2014 to represent Her Majesty The Queen on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of Malta's independence.

Further details will be announced in due course.

Notes to Editors:
This is the Duchess's first solo overseas visit
The Queen last visited Malta in 2007

Press release

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

XeniaCasaraghi

Quote from: cate1949 on July 21, 2014, 02:57:01 PM
surprised it is an overnight trip - although the distance would make that sensible

I think she'll be fine - long as she wears those pencil skirts!!

Or a a freakin slip. I swear she needs an official "keep kate's dress down" lady to follow her around all the time.

SophieChloe

Quote from: Lady Adams on July 22, 2014, 12:42:55 AM
Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on July 21, 2014, 04:10:08 PM

Sophie was just in India and Qatar last year on behalf of the Queen-- and her trip lasted over a week with heavy duty engagements and speeches. She did a fabulous job in important countries with delicate diplomatic relations with Britain.

I'm sure there are other examples, too. Kate is not the first spouse to represent the Queen abroad.
Sophie is a real jewel in the crown!  I like her.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on July 22, 2014, 01:49:12 AM
Didn't Diana represent the BRF at Princess Grace's funeral?
Yes she did.

Canuck

I know we're still waiting on details for this, but for a little fun speculation:  do you think there will be a state dinner or other tiara event?

I do love ogling the royal jewels (literally, not in the euphemism sense!), and I would love to see Kate attend an event where tiaras are called for.  :Jen:

TLLK

While I love to see the white tie events, I think it will be more of a cocktail attire reception IMO. I'd expect something similar to what she wore to the party in NZ.

Curryong

It would be lovely to see the BRF hold some more white-tie events like they used to. They won't, because of consciousness about austerity and that people are doing it tough, but Diana, for instance, always looked beautiful in tiara and jewels.

I actually like the way the Scandinavian royals conduct their weddings, with the women of the royal family and guest royals in tiaras and evening dresses and the men wearing their Orders.

The Swedish royals especially seem to have fun with costume events. There was one gathering of royals where many, including Crown Princess Victoria, were wearing 18th century costumes.

Canuck

I think you're right, Curryong, but I wish they would open up the vault a little more often.  All those beautiful jewels just sitting in the dark...  :cry:

TLLK

I agree Curryong and Canuck. There seemed to be more of these events in the past decades. I'm expecting that Carl-Phillip and Sofia's wedding will be a tiara event for the guests, but since he's not the heir I think it will more similar to Madeline's wedding in terms of guests. CP Victoria's and HGD Guillame's weddings were scenes of some of the best glitter in the past few years.  The Swedish and Danish ladies really have a flair for these types of events. 

Lady Adams

Off topic, but can we have a moment to remember Victoria's wedding? Nothing better, in my opinion.  :hijack!: