Duke & Duchess of Cambridge to Open Dickson Poon University, Sept. 8th

Started by cinrit, August 26, 2014, 12:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limabeany

Quote from: SophieChloe on August 26, 2014, 10:59:03 PM
There is really no excuse for Kate's damn laziness!  She was lazy before she wed - and she is still lazy.
Maybe the Queen was afraid she would upstage Charles then as well and held her the poor little dynamo of a worker bee back ever since she graduated... Lord knows, she isn't lazy or work shy, it is all the Queen and Charles' fault...  :Lothwen:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Quote from: wannable on August 26, 2014, 11:16:05 PM
They are going to inaugurate the 22M investment that a foreigner is subsidizing as a donor for Great Britain.

The Man from Hong Kong and Directors of the University will be hosting the royal couple.  That's what the British Monarchy know how to do out of the best of Britain and the people, thanking, greeting and meeting.
Ah thank you for sharing that bit of information. :thanks:

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteThe Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are set to visit Oxford on Monday, 8th of September, where they will formally open The Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre building.

The Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre is a new building, owned by St Hugh's College of the University of Oxford. Made with the aim to bring together academics who share common interests related to China, the structure boasts 63 en-suite student bedrooms, a 100 seat lecture theatre, dining area and a range of conference and seminar facilities. It also has a library, dedicated to permanently house books from the Bodleian Library's China Collection.
More: William and Kate to visit Oxford University

Lady Adams

Quote from: Lady Adams on August 26, 2014, 11:19:26 PM
Interesting fact: Dickson Poon owns, among other things, Harvey Nichols.
Speaking of Harvey Nichols...she was just spotted shopping there.

@etymakeup
Saw today #KateMiddleton shopping in #HarveyNichols #Knightsbridge at #Clarins Beautiful Lady! #Royals #Shopping
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

SophieChloe

Man, she is the gift that keeps on giving.....

She is proving to be more of a joke as each day passes.
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteOn Monday, 8 September, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will formally open the Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre Building in the grounds of St Hugh's College. The University of Oxford has been regarded as Europe's leading centre for the study of China for some time. The Centre now has a dedicated building bringing its academics with an interest in China under the same roof.

The royal couple will be met by members of staff, students and friends of St Hugh's College before being taken on a tour of the new £21million China Centre Building. They will also be introduced to major donors including Hong Kong philanthropist, Mr Dickson Poon CBE.
More: St Hugh's College | The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to open the Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre Building

SophieChloe

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

PrincessOfPeace

QuoteROYALS fans in Oxford are counting down the days until Wills and Kate visit the city.

On Monday, September 8, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will officially open the new Dickson Poon China Centre at Oxford University's St Hugh's College.

Children from local schools will gather at the college in St Margaret's Road, North Oxford, to present the couple with a posy of flowers.

And other royal fans around the city will be crowding the area outside the college in the hope of glimpsing the couple.

The Duke of Cambridge pub in Little Clarendon Street commissioned a new celebratory sign when Prince William was made the Duke of Cambridge at his marriage to Kate Middleton in 2011.

General manager Roberto Losito said: "If they are in Oxford I would be very happy for William and Kate to come and have cocktails of their choice on the house.

"We would welcome them with open arms."
More: Concocting a cocktail fit for our future king and queen (From thisisoxfordshire)

Lothwen

It amazes me how much preparation goes into an event like this.  I mean, William and Kate's staff has to coordinate with the university staff, and map out where everyone is going to go, and who's going to say what.

Notice I said their "staff."  I believe their people work very hard, trying to set up charity visits and then orchestrating those visits.  I really doubt that either Kate or William is actively involved with any of the work that goes into these engagements.  I think they just show up. 
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

TLLK

Quote from: Lothwen on August 28, 2014, 02:57:09 PM
It amazes me how much preparation goes into an event like this.  I mean, William and Kate's staff has to coordinate with the university staff, and map out where everyone is going to go, and who's going to say what.

Notice I said their "staff."  I believe their people work very hard, trying to set up charity visits and then orchestrating those visits.  I really doubt that either Kate or William is actively involved with any of the work that goes into these engagements.  I think they just show up. 
Which is the case in all royal engagements IMVHO BRF or other families. That's why there are so many support staff aka courtiers attached to these royal houses. Now I do believe that the royal does give input and is involved in the planning but that the real work is done by secretaries, security, and the staff from the site where the royal will be visiting.

Canuck

I agree that the staff work out logistics, etc. and it's probably quite a lot of work.  But I expect that the Royal also prepares -- by reading or being briefed about the event, learning about the people they'll be meeting, and going over the schedule and what they're required to do (if a speech needs to be given or they need to prepare questions for a meeting, or they will be reviewing art or signing registers or laying flowers, etc.).  If they're a female Royal, it also involves selecting an appropriate outfit and perhaps including something in it that references the event (the men have it easy there, though they often wear ties that have some special meaning).

cinrit

QuoteRoyal Fans Get Set to Greet Wills and Kate

Fans of the Royal family are hoping to catch a glimpse of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as they visit Oxford next week.

William and Kate will visit the city on Monday to open a new £21m Oxford University building.

More: Royal fans get set to greet Wills and Kate (From Oxford Mail)

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

cinrit

QuotePrince William Makes First Appearance in Oxford Since Announcing Kate's Pregnancy

Prince William couldn't help but grin from ear-to-ear as he arrived at the University of Oxford to carry out an official engagement – his first appearance since the news of his wife Kate's pregnancy broke.

William was making the visit alone, as Kate had to pull out last-minute and stay at home after suffering from severe morning sickness.

Pulling up at St Hugh's College in the historical city, William, 32, was given a warm welcome by the principal Dame Elish Angiolini and Baron Patten of Barnes, who is Chancellor of the University and was the last Governor of Hong Kong.

The Duke of Cambridge was handed an adorable toy swan for his son Prince George, who recently celebrated his first birthday in July, and a bouquet of flowers which William will most likely pass on to his wife.

More: Prince William after Kate pregnant - hellomagazine.com

Cindy

TLLK

Thank you for sharing the article. Glad that William was able to make it to Oxford today. That little girl is adorable with her gifts for Kate and George.

Macrobug

She is pregnant?  For real?  Well, that's a nice surprise.  For a second there I thought Cindy had posted an old article and I was confused.  William certainly looked happy.

So is this an official Chinese government backed project or is it private?  I wonder in terms of diplomacy
GNU Terry Pratchett

cinrit

Canuck

Quote from: Macrobug on September 08, 2014, 04:12:53 PM
So is this an official Chinese government backed project or is it private?  I wonder in terms of diplomacy

It's a private project involving a donation from a Chinese businessman, no Chinese government involvement (at least not officially).  St Hugh's College | £3m gift for Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre Building

cinrit

QuoteThe Duke of Cambridge Opens The Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre

The Duke of Cambridge was greeted by well-wishers today as he arrived in Oxford to open The Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre Building.

His Royal Highness was originally due to attend with The Duchess of Cambridge, but on the morning of the visit, Kensington Palace announced the happy news that Her Royal Highness is expecting the couple's second child. As The Duchess is suffering from an acute form of morning sickness, she was unable to be at the opening, which celebrated the new facilities at St Hugh's College, Oxford.

The building will, for the first time, bring together academics drawn from across a range of disciplines, who have common research and teaching interests related to China.

More: The Duke of Cambridge opens The Dickson Poon University of Oxford China Centre

Cindy

TLLK

Thank you for the article Cindy. With yesterday's news the actual event was somewhat overlooked.