Duchess of Cornwall - Tradition of Letting Children Decorate Christmas Tree

Started by snokitty, December 11, 2014, 12:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail

QuoteStraight off the plane from New York to Clarence House for one of the most moving engagements I cover each year.....
The Duchess of Cornwall has invited the children of Helen & Douglas House, many of who are terminally ill, to decorate her Christmas tree.
Seeing the looks on their faces as the tree is unveiled, is priceless. Afterwards they have tea and cakes and leave with a bag full of gifts
The Duchess of Cornwall speaks to families from Helen &Douglas House before the children decorate her Christmas tree
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k0UhBIIAAFIhz.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k4Jx_IQAAcc9A.jpg
And the doors open...and the children are greeted by a real bearskin wearing soldier!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k4aCxIYAAREz-.jpg
The Duchess of Cornwall introduces the children to her equerry.... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k4jH5IAAEYjrS.jpg
Decorating the Christmas tree at Clarence House with the Duchess of Cornwall.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k6FxnIAAAoxxT.jpg

I also see this every year and approve of her doing this. The children always seem to be delighted.

Double post auto-merged: December 11, 2014, 01:19:37 PM

Rebecca English ‏@RE_DailyMail
Equerry Freddie tries to place a Christmas decoration on with his sword. #clarencehouse #helen&douglashouse
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k8kuRIgAArYBS.jpg
Oops, he misses......
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4k8b8YIIAAY5FA.jpg
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Canuck

TLLK

I agree snokitty and Canuck that this such a wonderful tradition at Clarence House. Like how the Equerry was involved as well. :xmas9:

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

cinrit

QuoteThe Duchess of Cornwall Invites Children from Helen & Douglas House to Decorate the Clarence House Christmas Tree

The Duchess of Cornwall served up sausages and mash at a tea party for children with terminal illnesses today.

Her Royal Highness refused to stand on ceremony as she rolled up her sleeves and handed round plates to youngsters from the Helen & Douglas House children's hospice who were visiting her official London home, Clarence House.

Each year The Duchess invites 12 young people and their families from the home, of which she has been patron since 2007, to come in and help her decorate the Royal Christmas tree.

Helen & Douglas House is a hospice in Oxford that cares for terminally ill children, young adults and their families.

It provides medical, emotional and practical support, helping families deal with the implications of living with a child who will die prematurely, so that they can make the most of their time together.

More: The Duchess of Cornwall invites children from Helen & Douglas House to decorate the Clarence House Christmas tree

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

sandy

Aren't sausages and mash hard to digest? Odd choice for the children.

cinrit

It's just sausage and mashed potatoes.  I would think most children have eaten both and digested them well.

Cindy

SophieChloe

My children always adored sausage and mash.  However, I agree with @sandy - these are very unwell children - digestion problems could have been an issue.  So perhaps sausages were not the best option.

I'm sure they enjoyed the time there.  And IMO Camilla looked very kind and motherly.  Still can't stand the woman. 
Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Curryong

Quote from: SophieChloe on December 12, 2014, 08:37:36 PM
My children always adored sausage and mash.  However, I agree with @sandy - these are very unwell children - digestion problems could have been an issue.  So perhaps sausages were not the best option.

I'm sure they enjoyed the time there.  And IMO Camilla looked very kind and motherly.  Still can't stand the woman.

I thought it was an odd choice of food  too, though I admit I wasn't thinking so much of the children's diestive systems, more on the lines of what children like to eat at parties! I'm sure Clarence House consulted the carers before they settled the menu. The weather's a bit brisk so they went for hot and filling!

An acquaintance met Camilla twice at dinner parties a few years ago. She described her as pleasant, witty and fun. I'm sure she is, and she was probably lovely to those sick kiddies. However, though I don't wish her any ill, she will never be my cup of tea because of what she did to Diana.

cinrit

I would be surprised if Clarence House hadn't checked with Helen & Douglas House before settling on a menu.  The Royals leave nothing to chance. 

Cindy

snokitty

http://us.hellomagazine.com/royalty/1201412121889/duchess-camilla-throws-a-tea-party-for-terminally-ill-children
The wife of Prince Charles, 67, refused to stand on ceremony and handed out the dinners personally to the children who were visiting her home, Clarence House.

Every year, Camilla invites a group of 12 young people and their families from the Helen & Douglas House in Oxford to come and decorate her Christmas tree.

Helen & Douglas House is a hospice that gives medical, emotional and practical support to families dealing with the implications of living with a child who will die prematurely, so they can make the most of their time together.

Camilla rolled up her sleeves to help, wearing a pretty fuchsia dress and patterned scarf, and chatted to all the families.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

amabel

Quote from: cinrit on December 12, 2014, 07:53:50 PM
It's just sausage and mashed potatoes.  I would think most children have eaten both and digested them well.

Cindy
Kids LIVE on stuff like that- sausage and mash.....

cinrit

QuoteThe Kindhearted Duchess! Camilla Throws a 'Magical' Party for Terminally Ill Children at Clarence House... and Serves Up the Bangers and Mash Herself

The Duchess of Cornwall served up sausages and mash at a tea party for children with terminal illnesses today.

Camilla refused to stand on ceremony as she rolled up her sleeves and handed round plates to the youngsters, who were visiting her official London home, Clarence House.

Each year the Duchess invites 12 young people and their families from the Helen & Douglas House, of which she has been patron since 2007, to help her decorate the royal Christmas tree.

The Helen & Douglas House is an Oxford-based hospice that cares for terminally ill children, young adults and their families.

More: The kindhearted Duchess! Camilla throws a 'magical' party for terminally ill children at Clarence House... and serves up the bangers and mash herself

Cindy

amabel

Quote from: cinrit on December 12, 2014, 09:22:51 PM
I would be surprised if Clarence House hadn't checked with Helen & Douglas House before settling on a menu.  The Royals leave nothing to chance. 

Cindy
of course they would have.  Anyone does when catering for people nowadays, and esp if they are sick children...

FanDianaFancy

Nice tradition  of hers.

I am sure the menu was covered  with the  H&D House  people  for the various kids, most  who could eat that  perhaps . maybe some could not  eat that or anything less.

I am sure  it  was  cleared...maybe  the  sausages  were  very  thin, too...made differently and not  your typical kind  of English sausage.
Maybe vegs in it instead of so much meat.

Eri

This is a very nice tradition of hers ... kudos to her for not breaking down crying each and every time as some of the children's stories are heart breaking but that is why she is a Duchess and I am not  :lol: ...

corydora

Well...as much as it pains me to say it...what a sweet gesture and a kind thing for her to do. I'm sure it means a lot to the families and she is there herself, not just pawning it off to a secretary or underling. I still have issues with what happened in the past, but this is a very nice thing. The Duchess looks to be in good health.

Also I got to see bangers and mash. I see the mashed potatoes but do not see anything that looks like sausages to me. I will Google it.
Recycle yourself - Be an Organ Donor

Lady Adams

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

Limabeany

:goodpost: Agree 100%

Quote from: corydora on December 18, 2014, 12:02:38 AM
Well...as much as it pains me to say it...what a sweet gesture and a kind thing for her to do. I'm sure it means a lot to the families and she is there herself, not just pawning it off to a secretary or underling. I still have issues with what happened in the past, but this is a very nice thing. The Duchess looks to be in good health.

Also I got to see bangers and mash. I see the mashed potatoes but do not see anything that looks like sausages to me. I will Google it.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.