The Queen’s cousin becomes first member of The Royal Family to reveal he is gay

Started by Jennifer, September 18, 2016, 08:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

QuoteLord Ivar, who is the son of the 3rd Marquess of Milford Haven, is the first member of the extended Royal Family to come out as gay, although he says he does not feel "100 per cent comfortable."

Speaking to the Mail on Sunday, the 53-year-old said: "Being a Mountbatten was never the problem it was the generation into which I was born. When I was growing up, it was known as "the love that dare not speak its name, but what's amazing now is how far we have all come in terms of acceptance."

"Coming out is such a funny phrase but it's what I suppose I did in a rather roundabout way, emerging to a place I'm happy to be. I have struggled with my sexuality and in some ways I still do; it has been a real journey to reach this point.

Read more:
The Queen’s cousin becomes first member of The Royal Family to reveal he is gay – Royal Central
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston

Jennifer

QuoteQueen's cousin Lord Ivar Mountbatten comes out as gay: says family has been 'supportive'

Lord Ivar Mountbatten, one of the Queen's cousins, has come out as gay – the first member of the royal family to do so. The 53-year-old, who is good friends with Prince Edward and godfather to his daughter Lady Louise, said that he was relieved to finally be open about his sexuality as he spoke of his happiness with new partner James Coyle.

He confirmed that his family had been incredibly supportive of his announcement, and said ex-wife Penny Thompson and their three daughters have welcomed James – an airline cabin services director, whom he met while skiing in Verbier last March - into their lives.

Read more:
Lord Ivar Mountbatten, the Queen's cousin, comes out as gay
"You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination". ~ Ralph Marston