Royalty Questions: Ask all your questions here....

Started by Wombat, December 28, 2006, 06:26:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessKLS

I couldn't imagine bowing to anyone other the Queen. The Queen I would probably get on my knees for, the other it would be a handshake, a small head bow, and/or a hug for Wills and Harry definitely :) :wub2:

Mary Rose

I am not British, so I would not be required to bow, but I would not bow either.  My respect would go to the history and what that history use to represent.

Wallflower

Would it look foolish/tacky if someone who's not a subject went ahead and curtseyed anyway out of respect?  What would an American be expected to do in lieu of a curtsey, just wait for a handshake?
Tired of the forum.  Just couldn't find an acct. delete function.

Stix Chix

^non-subjects aren't expected to curtsy or bow....but they could if they wanted to just as the Queen's subjects don't have to curtsy or bow if they dont want to.  it's up to viewers opinions if any of it comes across as foolish or tacky. :happy:  but everyone is supposed to wait for the Queen to extend her hand first to shake.

and high-fives are frowned on. :high5: ;)

Harryite #0004

Lila the Flirt

Quote from: Stix Chix on October 03, 2007, 12:56:48 AM
and high-fives are frowned on. :high5: ;)

:laugh: I would love to see her reaction on that!

And yes, one waits until HM extends her hand

Flirt's the name, flirtin's my game :lila:

Scarlet Flowers

When a woman curtsies doesn't she have to go so close to the floor that her knees nearly touch it?
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Savanna

It depends on the situation. When getting knighted even men have to kneel down - except for Peter Ustinov who said: Your Majesty, I can kneel down, that`s not the problem. The problem is that I`m not sure whether I can get up again  :happy:

Cassidy

Catherinite #0007                                :kisskiss: Flirt-ite #0002
[

heather

Quote from: Savanna on December 08, 2007, 02:23:04 PM
It depends on the situation. When getting knighted even men have to kneel down - except for Peter Ustinov who said: Your Majesty, I can kneel down, that`s not the problem. The problem is that I`m not sure whether I can get up again  :happy:

Peter Ustinov, loved that man, so much talent, his one man stage shows were not to be missed, his books are hilarious. He did so much for UNICEF. An absolute sweetheart of a man.

Quote from: Scarlet Flowers on December 08, 2007, 07:41:29 AM
When a woman curtsies doesn't she have to go so close to the floor that her knees nearly touch it?

I never have, a little bob at the knees is usually just fine. :)

Savanna

Quote from: heather on December 08, 2007, 07:26:05 PM
      Peter Ustinov, loved that man, so much talent, his one man stage shows were not to be missed, his books are hilarious. He did so much for UNICEF. An absolute sweetheart of a man.

He was fascinating, I could have listened to him for hours. At least one Oldie who didn`t dwell on the World Wars. He was fun to listen to.

Lila the Flirt

Quote from: heather on December 08, 2007, 07:26:05 PM
      I never have, a little bob at the knees is usually just fine. :)

I agree with heather. In the olden times, probably but these days, no :D

alastair_r2008

Are there any more Royals or Nobility on Facebbok ? X

Cassidy

I'm sure they're on there, but imagine many of them probably have very private profiles and don't join any networks.

Catherinite #0007                                :kisskiss: Flirt-ite #0002
[

Lila the Flirt

Yes. Their names are usually the same, or a version of it. The family names are usually the ones they change. And they are hidden anyway so no sense wasting hours searching for them.. unless you have FB magic :Royal:

Trudie

Quote from: Stix Chix on January 12, 2007, 03:51:29 AM
yes!  :happytears: Keeper of the Stool.  a very prestigious role actually.....but i think i'd rather b Petter of the Corgi.  :D
Hippie's answer to this was great!  but just to add on with a more modern take on it, these days if she doesnt have a "past" then she dosent have to worry about old boyfriends selling love stories (and even photos) to the press like happened to Sophie.

:crazylaugh: :crazylaugh: Now we all know what Fawcetts official role is in Charles life. KEEPER OF THE STOOL AND SPECIMAN BOTTLE.

The modern take on the virgin story is the one that was given when Charles was dating and one of his girlfriends was found out to have lived with a man who sold a story and I think another that had posed nude.

Scarlet Flowers

I remember reading this and was curious if anyone can verify it.  Apparently when King Edward the VIII was thinking about abdicating Wallis Simpson reportedly informed him she would rather have him serve his country than abdicate for her.  Is that true?
They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept any but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it.~Red Cloud

When you step out in faith, you step into a whole other world.

Kate

Wallis Simpson was in love with Edward V111, as long as he was King. She did not want him to abdicate..

I would certainly bow to our present Queen , but no one else!!! Certainly, after she passes ( long may she reign!), the next in her position ,won't get a wave, nor would I stand in a line to get a glimpse of him and her... or anyone for that matter... Well maybe The Princess Royal... She has earned the respect of the people, for her continuous hard work on behalf of the RF.... :)

LouisFerdinand

King James III of Scotland married Princess Margaret of Denmark in 1469. Denmark pledged some islands to Scotland in place of Margaret's dowry. What were the islands?

TLLK

The Shetland Islands

From Wikipedia-In the 14th century, Orkney and Shetland remained a Norwegian possession, but Scottish influence was growing. Jon Haraldsson, who was murdered in Thurso in 1231, was the last of an unbroken line of Norse jarls,[59] and thereafter the earls were Scots noblemen of the houses of Angus and St Clair.[60] On the death of Haakon VI in 1380,[61] Norway formed a political union with Denmark, after which the interest of the royal house in the islands declined.[54] In 1469, Shetland was pledged by Christian I, in his capacity as King of Norway, as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. As the money was never paid, the connection with the Crown of Scotland became permanent.[Note 7] In 1470, William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness ceded his title to James III, and the following year the Northern Isles were directly annexed to the Crown of Scotland,[64] an action confirmed by the Parliament of Scotland in 1472.[65] Nonetheless, Shetland's connection with Norway has proved to be enduring.[Note 8]

LouisFerdinand

Did Queen Marie Antoinette and King Louis XVI of France ever make a visit to Austria?

LouisFerdinand

In 1816 at the time of the marriage of Princess Charlotte of Wales to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, it was announced that the groom was to be created Duke of Kendal. However, this never happened. Why did Prince Leopold not become Duke of Kendal?