Threadbare Prince Charles and His Oh-So Shabby Sofas

Started by cinrit, November 24, 2014, 11:46:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cinrit

QuoteFor his appearance on Countryfile last year, Prince Charles wore a Barbour–style coat patched up with so many different pieces of leather that he admitted he could 'hardly move' in it.

Now his furniture has been exposed as just as threadbare.

The heir to the throne, whose total income and funding was £21.68 million last year, took part in a Google webchat last week, where the state of the sofas at his London residence Clarence House has provoked much chatter.

Badly frayed, the piped edging of the settee has seen better days.  'His Royal Highness won't throw anything out,' says a courtier. 'Make do and mend is the order of the day.'

More: SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Threadbare Prince Charles and his oh-so shabby sofas  | Daily Mail Online

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

Curryong

The royals often have shabby and threadbare items in their homes. The Queen Mother was often chided by her friends for not replacing a threadbare carpet given to her by Queen Mary. I think it was Kitty Kelley who was astounded when she saw a frayed lamp lead in the sitting room of Princess Margaret's home.

The cynical would say that the shabby couch and clothing is a PR exercise by Charles to show that he is not being extravagant in his private life while so many in Britain are doing it tough. That he is with them in the trenches, so to speak. I think it's probably a bit of that but is also a genuine effort by Charles to live by his principles of a simpler, more environmentally friendly lifestyle.

snokitty

I think they keep these worn out items because to replace them would require spending their own money.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

TLLK

Quote from: Curryong on November 24, 2014, 01:28:01 PM
Quote from: cinrit on November 24, 2014, 11:46:27 AM
QuoteFor his appearance on Countryfile last year, Prince Charles wore a Barbour–style coat patched up with so many different pieces of leather that he admitted he could 'hardly move' in it.

Now his furniture has been exposed as just as threadbare.

The heir to the throne, whose total income and funding was £21.68 million last year, took part in a Google webchat last week, where the state of the sofas at his London residence Clarence House has provoked much chatter.

Badly frayed, the piped edging of the settee has seen better days.  'His Royal Highness won't throw anything out,' says a courtier. 'Make do and mend is the order of the day.'

More: SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Threadbare Prince Charles and his oh-so shabby sofas  | Daily Mail Online

Cindy

The royals often have shabby and threadbare items in their homes. The Queen Mother was often chided by her friends for not replacing a threadbare carpet given to her by Queen Mary. I think it was Kitty Kelley who was astounded when she saw a frayed lamp lead in the sitting room of Princess Margaret's home.

The cynical would say that the shabby couch and clothing is a PR exercise by Charles to show that he is not being extravagant in his private life while so many in Britain are doing it tough. That he is with them in the trenches, so to speak. I think it's probably a bit of that but is also a genuine effort by Charles to live by his principles of a simpler, more environmentally friendly lifestyle.
Or he's really sentimental about his possessions. :)

cinrit

I've been hearing about his mended suits and shoes for years.  It didn't occur to me that it extended to household items, as well, but hey ... why not?

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

SophieChloe

I agree with @snokitty - cause he is as tight as old Nick when it comes to spending his own money.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

Trudie

I understand that most of the RF's furniture are valuable antiques however, It doesn't cost much to replace fabric on sofa's or chairs. If he and Camilla were going for the shabby chic look it doesn't work.

cate1949

that sofa looks bad - LOL - that goes beyond shabby chic.  I have a love seat that is so sturdy  and so comfortable - but the upholstery just wears out - it has been redone twice already - but I just cannot give it up so I do sympathize with PC but - at least put a cover over it - when you get to the point where the plastic is coming through - time to re cover.