Her Majesty as Queen of Scots

Started by PrincessOfPeace, August 30, 2014, 12:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessOfPeace

Is this the most astonishing photoshoot of the Queen ever? Yes, it really IS Her Majesty as Queen of Scots amid the heather (moments before a midge invasion)

QuoteIt is perhaps the most striking and romantic photograph of the Queen ever taken.

The Monarch, dressed in the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle – the Scottish equivalent of England's Order of the Garter – stares directly into the camera from an idyllic spot on her beloved Balmoral estate.

Now the photographer who took the stunning photograph has revealed how it was inspired by a series of portraits by renowned Scottish artist Sir Henry Raeburn – and how concerns about bad weather and a midge attack nearly led to the photoshoot being abandoned
Is this the most astonishing photoshoot of the Queen ever? Yes, it really IS Her Majesty as Queen of Scots amid the heather (moments before a midge

HM as Queen of Scots and Chief of Chiefs

Curryong

Quote from: PrincessOfPeace on August 30, 2014, 12:01:12 AM
Is this the most astonishing photoshoot of the Queen ever? Yes, it really IS Her Majesty as Queen of Scots amid the heather (moments before a midge invasion)

QuoteIt is perhaps the most striking and romantic photograph of the Queen ever taken.

The Monarch, dressed in the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle – the Scottish equivalent of England's Order of the Garter – stares directly into the camera from an idyllic spot on her beloved Balmoral estate.

Now the photographer who took the stunning photograph has revealed how it was inspired by a series of portraits by renowned Scottish artist Sir Henry Raeburn – and how concerns about bad weather and a midge attack nearly led to the photoshoot being abandoned
Is this the most astonishing photoshoot of the Queen ever? Yes, it really IS Her Majesty as Queen of Scots amid the heather (moments before a midge

HM as Queen of Scots and Chief of Chiefs

Queen Victoria used to smoke at picnics to keep midges away. Maybe Elizabeth should have popped a cigarette in her mouth as a finishing touch! :wink:

Macrobug

Is a midge what I call a blackfly?  If so, they are minions from the bowels of the most inner circle of hell.

The blackfly song - YouTube
GNU Terry Pratchett

Curryong

Midges in the Highlands of Scotland are small, pesky female flies that like congregating in groups and biting people! I was once at a picnic where we had to pack up because a whole cloud of them suddenly descended and wouldn't leave us alone. And we had insect repellent spray on!

Macrobug

Hmmm...that sounds a lot like the scourge of Northern Ontario.  There have been times in the spring that just running from the car into the house can result in blood running down my face from all the bites.  Black clouds of the nasty little beggers.  It isn't an uncommon sight to see what looks like alien lifeforms wandering around town in May and June.  These would be people that are wearing bug jackets - jackets with a hood made of mesh that covers the entire head and face.  And with duct tape wrapped around the jacket wrists and pant legs at the ankle - to keep the bugs from getting up under clothing.  And everyone stinks of bug repellent. 
GNU Terry Pratchett

In All I Do

Blackflies...
Deerflies...
Horseflies (*shudder*)...

Three reasons I live in *southern* ontario...

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

In All I Do

Threats are very unkind and counter to the spirit of the board. I'm just sayin'...

Macrobug

Not a threat....a heartfelt and generous gift.  Ownership of blackflies is lacking in your life; something I wish to remedy.   :vday4:
GNU Terry Pratchett

cate1949

I hate the blackflies - when I was a child we would go summer camping in Maine and they would swart so badly that you could not open your mouth for fear of swallowing one

Curryong

Midges are apparently called 'no-see-ums' (because they're so minute) and 'punkies' in North America.

Limabeany

"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

So happy that I live in a relatively bug free environment.!!! My kids became acquainted with insects found from Ontario,Canada to International Falls, Minnesota this year. :happy15:

PrincessOfPeace

Queen of Scots and Chief of Chiefs. Resplendent in the robes of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle.

http://mandysroyalty.org/royal_rep/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/queenrobes-older-scotland.jpg

TLLK

Have to say this is one of my favorite photos of HMQEII in her robes. Can't even begin to find the words to describe the setting. :blowkiss:

Macrobug

It is lovely! And she looks spectacular  :crown: :princessgrace:
GNU Terry Pratchett

Limabeany

Nice picture but, this is an article from 2013...  :hmm:
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

Limabeany

True, but it might be helpful if old articles are referenced/introduced as such to avoid confusion.  :happy:

Eri

Incredible picture !!!  :vday2:  :windsor1: