Shorten calls for new republic debate

Started by snokitty, January 25, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snokitty

QuoteOpposition Leader Bill Shorten is not pushing for a second referendum on a republic any time soon, despite calling for Australians to rally for such a move on Australia Day.

Mr Shorten reignited the debate for a republic after calling on Australians to breathe new life into the dream of an Australian head of state.

'Let us rally behind an Australian republic - a model that truly speaks for who we are: our modern identity, our place in our region and our world,' he told a book launch on mateship in Melbourne on Sunday.

The Labor leader said Australia Day was an apt time to revisit the notion of a republic.

Sixteen years since the first referendum in 1999 was time enough to have learned lessons from Australia voting against a republic, he said.

'I do think that there are lessons from that referendum,' Mr Shorten said.

'How is it that in the 21st century we don't have an Australian head of state?

'I think it's something we can positively discuss.'

Some republicans have argued that the best time to restart the debate would be at the end of Queen Elizabeth II's reign.

Bill Shorten: move to a republic would reflect a modern and inclusive Australia | Australia news | The Guardian

QuoteBecoming a republic would accurately reflect a modern and inclusive Australia, the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, said.

Shorten used a speech at the launch of a book on Australian identity to reiterate his support for Australia becoming a republic.

"Let us breathe new life into the dream of an Australian head of state," he said. "114 years ago Australians found the courage and goodwill to transform this continent into a commonwealth. In the 21st century let us live up to their example. Let us declare that our head of state should be one of us."

"Let us rally behind an Australian republic. A model that truly speaks for who we are: our modern identity, our place in our region and our world."

Shorten launched the book, Mateship: A Very Australian History by Nick Dyrenfurth, in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

He said Australia should acknowledge the injustices of the past, including the stolen generations and inequality for women and first Australians.

"I believe Australians are smart enough and generous enough to know that our national story is not a choose-your-own adventure where we pick and mix the chapters that portray us in the best light," Shorten said.
"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too"      Voltaire

I can see humor in most things & I would rather laugh than cry.    Snokitty

Curryong

Quote from: snokitty on January 25, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

QuoteOpposition Leader Bill Shorten is not pushing for a second referendum on a republic any time soon, despite calling for Australians to rally for such a move on Australia Day.

Mr Shorten reignited the debate for a republic after calling on Australians to breathe new life into the dream of an Australian head of state.

'Let us rally behind an Australian republic - a model that truly speaks for who we are: our modern identity, our place in our region and our world,' he told a book launch on mateship in Melbourne on Sunday.

The Labor leader said Australia Day was an apt time to revisit the notion of a republic.

Sixteen years since the first referendum in 1999 was time enough to have learned lessons from Australia voting against a republic, he said.

'I do think that there are lessons from that referendum,' Mr Shorten said.

'How is it that in the 21st century we don't have an Australian head of state?

'I think it's something we can positively discuss.'

Some republicans have argued that the best time to restart the debate would be at the end of Queen Elizabeth II's reign.

Bill Shorten: move to a republic would reflect a modern and inclusive Australia | Australia news | The Guardian

QuoteBecoming a republic would accurately reflect a modern and inclusive Australia, the opposition leader, Bill Shorten, said.

Shorten used a speech at the launch of a book on Australian identity to reiterate his support for Australia becoming a republic.

"Let us breathe new life into the dream of an Australian head of state," he said. "114 years ago Australians found the courage and goodwill to transform this continent into a commonwealth. In the 21st century let us live up to their example. Let us declare that our head of state should be one of us."

"Let us rally behind an Australian republic. A model that truly speaks for who we are: our modern identity, our place in our region and our world."

Shorten launched the book, Mateship: A Very Australian History by Nick Dyrenfurth, in Melbourne on Sunday afternoon.

He said Australia should acknowledge the injustices of the past, including the stolen generations and inequality for women and first Australians.

"I believe Australians are smart enough and generous enough to know that our national story is not a choose-your-own adventure where we pick and mix the chapters that portray us in the best light," Shorten said.

Bill Shorten (and I speak as a Labor supporter) always rattles on like this on every Australia Day. We don't hear about it from him the rest of the time!

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK