A Princess of Wales Trust

Started by LouisFerdinand, February 01, 2016, 11:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LouisFerdinand

When Princess Diana suggested that she start a Princess of Wales Trust to raise money for her numerous charities, Prince Charles refused to countenance the idea.   
He knew that it would take away finances from his own Prince's Trust charity.

TLLK

It is a shame that it didn't become  a joint charity "The Prince and Princess' Trust."

LouisFerdinand

Quote from: TLLK on February 02, 2016, 05:13:37 AM
It is a shame that it didn't become  a joint charity "The Prince and Princess' Trust."

If there had been The Prince and Princess of Wales' Trust, would this have helped Charles and Diana to have gotten along better?

Curryong

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 02, 2016, 11:43:48 PM
Quote from: TLLK on February 02, 2016, 05:13:37 AM

If there had been The Prince and Princess of Wales' Trust, would this have helped Charles and Diana to have gotten along better?

^ If Charles could have got over his awareness that his wife was loved by the public in a way that he was not, and agreed to set up such a Trust, it might have worked. Working together on it could have given them something to talk about I suppose. However, until almost the very end of their marriage, the public duties, including dual engagements, were performed beautifully and gave the public a lot of pleasure. This would have included any engagements on behalf of a joint Trust, I believe. Primarily though, it was various issues in their private lives together that was the problem and IMHO no joint Fund would have repaired that.

TLLK

:goodpost: @Curryong. @LouisFerdinand -Curryong has stated everything that I would have said to answer your question. :)

amabel

Well I've never heard of this. I cant imagine it happening, because I don't believe that it would have been a good idea ot have another trust, Charles had set up the Princes trust, and it was his baby.  Diana had her own charity interests and dealt with them separately and at times she worked iwht Charles.  but for her to set up a separate Trust would just have been stupid and taken money away from HIS foundation.   Her charities had their own organsations, and she was very useful to them as either a name on the letterhead or in doing engagements which raised their profile, and so she raised donations that way.  But the Princes Trust was a different initiative, where Charles used his contacts to set up businesses, raise money for various charities and "start ups" etc.
I believe that there was a sum of money set aside for Di to give to charities of her own choosing but I'm not sure if she used it much.
No I don't believe ti would have worked as a joint initiative. I think that the problems in their marriage were fundamental and related ot private personal matters, and were not likely to be solved by charity work together.  and I think that as DI grew older, she and C found that they couldn't work together much, because their styles were too differnet.    She was good at the being nice to people and being a photo opportunity, he was good at the back room stuff.  If they hadn't gotten on badly, perhaps they could have split up the 2 kinds of work,her doing the smiling and realting to people and him doing the serious speeches and the backroom admin, but they as time went on, just hit it off so badly that they could not combine their talents.

amabel

Quote from: LouisFerdinand on February 01, 2016, 11:55:41 PM
When Princess Diana suggested that she start a Princess of Wales Trust to raise money for her numerous charities, Prince Charles refused to countenance the idea.   
He knew that it would take away finances from his own Prince's Trust charity.
Have you got a quote about this?  I have never heard of it...