Where are the other posters?

Started by TheRealDuchessOfSussex, February 13, 2014, 12:16:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRealDuchessOfSussex

:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

I was just wondering where all the former posters are from the Harry forum?  :hmm: :hmm: :loco:

I, at least, haven't heard from Stix Chix, Wombat, and the other people that posted in the Harry forum from when he was 20 to 25 or so. :lol: :lol: :love6: :love6: :mad7: :orchid:
I think I'm the only one here that has written a letter to the Queen and got a letter back from the Lady in Waiting..... :P :happy15: :wed:

Jenee

Donno... People lose interest or get caught up with life :shrug:
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Princessinwaiting

If there is one pattern I have noticed with this forum it's insulting anyone who disagrees with them And in order to enjoy posting here insulting back is the only way  :orchid: if others mods have not see this going on then they chose to ignore it because they feel it creates conversation but in reality people walk away .

Lady Adams

I have to echo Princess In Waiting's comment. One thing that bothers me is that people often don't simply agree to disagree and move on. There's a lot of weirdly personal back-and-forth. (I've joined the forum rather recently, and have been thinking about taking a break for this reason.)

I don't blame the mods, because they can't patrol every thread-- nor should they...we're all adults! I just wish the atmosphere was a bit more conversational. Rather than fact vs. opinion/ proof vs gossip/ I said this, not that/ Oh you misinterpreted me... etc.
"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." --Elbert Hubbard, American writer

cinrit

Interesting, since I was just thinking of posters who miscontrue or misinterpret the posts, so that people have to repeat themselves to make their opinions more clearly understood.  Seriously, this is a forum, and people are going to agree or disagree, they're going to have opinions and ask others about their opinions, etc.   If everyone posted and no one interacted, it wouldn't be quite as interesting or informative.  Personally, I like to see the different sides of issues, even if I don't agree with all of them.  As long members discuss opinions and thoughts without attacking, discussion can continue to be engrossing.

Cindy
Always be yourself.  Unless you can be a unicorn.  Then always be a unicorn.

ruthy

We all have our own opinions and should accept this and leave out all the bickering - and most of it is over such silly issues!!!

Windsor

It is important to keep all comments friendly, even if you don't agree with the opinions of other posters.

Anything that does break our rules, or makes you uncomfortable please do not hesitate to send me or any other Moderator/Admin a Private Message with your concerns.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lothwen

Quote from: Princessinwaiting on February 14, 2014, 02:27:34 PM
If there is one pattern I have noticed with this forum it's insulting anyone who disagrees with them And in order to enjoy posting here insulting back is the only way  :orchid: if others mods have not see this going on then they chose to ignore it because they feel it creates conversation but in reality people walk away .

Actually, what I saw as a mod were people who wanted us to "moderate" certain members, and then got angry with us when we didn't.  And I'm talking about people on all sides of the spectrum.  I got told I was aiding and abetting bullies because I wouldn't edit or remove posts.  I got demands from posters to do what they said, because they decided that another poster, or group of posters, wasn't following the rules. 

Every time we had a reported post, I reviewed it.  If it warranted an edit/removal, I would do that, and then inform the member why I made the decision that I did.  Sometimes, there were no rules broken, and the post was left as is.  You can make complaints, and they'll be looked into, but that doesn't mean the outcome is always going to be what you want.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Princessinwaiting

:orchid: I don't remember reporting posts honestly I hardly have reported posts I mostly make it known on the thread that I disagree and feel the poster was being very insulting .

Lothwen

^In that case then, my post was not about you.
You may think you're cool, but do you have a smiley named after you?
Harryite 12-005

Okay, fine.  Macrobug is now as cool as I am

Princessinwaiting

Ah fine , I don't think there's much the moderators can do if the members don't listen  :orchid: it's not all their fault  :notamused:

TLLK

Quote from: Lothwen on February 15, 2014, 05:29:30 AM
Quote from: Princessinwaiting on February 14, 2014, 02:27:34 PM

Actually, what I saw as a mod were people who wanted us to "moderate" certain members, and then got angry with us when we didn't.  And I'm talking about people on all sides of the spectrum.  I got told I was aiding and abetting bullies because I wouldn't edit or remove posts.  I got demands from posters to do what they said, because they decided that another poster, or group of posters, wasn't following the rules. 

Every time we had a reported post, I reviewed it.  If it warranted an edit/removal, I would do that, and then inform the member why I made the decision that I did.  Sometimes, there were no rules broken, and the post was left as is.  You can make complaints, and they'll be looked into, but that doesn't mean the outcome is always going to be what you want.
Can't be an easy task, so thank you for taking on this job for the board.  :clap:

Orchid

In the spirit of this discussion, I think it's also important to recognise that the pursuit of one ultimate "truth" or of being "right" and proving another "wrong" is a fruitless, miserable endeavour. It only leads to belligerence, oversight and an overall loss of appreciation and enjoyment of a much wider interplay of ideas. After all, that's what forums enable people to do!  I've enjoyed putting one idea forward and having my eyes opened to another way of seeing. It hasn't necessarily changed my mind about what I originally came into a discussion believing, but it has enriched my perspective.  Bonus!

When it comes to debating anything, it's often the exchange of opinions and ideas - however different - that is (or at least should be) the enjoyable, enlightening objective, not the desire to "prove" the "right" argument or "disprove" the "wrong" argument. It's a trap that I've certainly fallen prey to in the past but will avoid in the future. It's all too easy to get caught up in the damaging objectives/behaviours of a minority.

In reality there's no such thing as being "right" or "wrong", especially when it comes to people, royal institutions/politics/culture. We live in a dichotomous world where the values of tradition are juxtaposed with evolving modern perspectives, and views on issues such as appearance, ethics, worth etc are so utterly divergent that agreement is naturally impossible. Inevitably this creates a push-pull tension and people take "sides" arguing for theirs with the hope of destabilizing the other. I think this is where society – and this forum – goes wrong.  We're all working against each other - a futile duel of egos and ideals - instead of working together to create enjoyable and diverse exchanges and conversations that accommodate difference without debasing it!

The goal should be to enjoy our differences of opinion and use those differences to enrich our own perspectives.  Arguing and bickering is serving nobody in any positive way.  If we could all work together to change our approach then we'd all have a better time on the forum.  :shrug:
"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil

megaroozle

I haven't been on the forum for a while but what I do notice when I pop in every now and again is that people are becoming personal and often belligerent in their posts. Its very frustrating to read so my option is to just not come on as often. I have even come across posts where you can tell that the person posting is blatantly lying about certain things and that just frustrates me. Cindy is right, we are going to disagree and there would be no fun if everyone was like minded but in the past I have noted that people were able to disagree and move on. Maybe it's just me but I had always found this forum to be really one of the best forums but know there seems to be more than a few trolls spoiling for a fight. I know it is not an easy job for the mods and for that you have my thanks at all the hard work you do from the moderating to the layout and all the news and updates that get posted. Anyway that is just my observation.

georgiana996

Yeah I agree megaroozle, ONE troll only  . This is a good question where are my Harryites ? Chavita , Squirrel , Anitalalala , joanieinwonderland , .............people whos usernames I cant remember correctly and dont want to type wrong :P

In 2012 this place was buzzing , idk why its so empty now  :shrug:
Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher.

Orchid

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchil