Reminder: Moderators are Members too!

Started by Jenee, April 27, 2010, 04:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenee

Some people have recently shared their thoughts with me on Mods being "too opinionated" and so I feel it is necessary to post this thread.

Mods are Members, first and foremost. All mods come from the pool of active members, and are not paid for their services to the forum. One of the criteria that we use to choose mods is their forum activity - so all mods are current, active members of the forum.

All Mods are expected to approach their moderating duties with objectivity. However, moderating duties do NOT include posting their thoughts and opinions on the topics of the threads. NO MOD is required to be objective in their discussions on the thread topic. If we were to require that Mods not comment on threads, we would have to hire people to moderate the boards instead of drawing from the talents of our current membership, and we don't have the means to do that!

Also, the only complaints that I have received so far are from members who are complaining about mods who have different opinions from them. There have been no complaints about very opinionated posts when those posts are in agreement with the members who have complained.

I therefore think that the group of members who feel that mods are "too opinionated" is very small; however, I want to nip this thinking in the bud. Mods are Members, first and foremost, and entitled to their opinions like everyone else.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

MissFrouFrou

Point taken, but respecting dissenting views isn't a problem I hold. In fact, I relish dissenting opinions - an occupational hazard, if you like. Anyway, I think things often take on greater importance at the time, and then cool down.

What really matters is moving forward. :)

My only concern is that at times the line between moderator and poster may get blurred. Perhaps prior to the forum changes, posts by moderators may have attracted a little more attention, credence and respect. This could then be interpreted by a poster as being "championed" by a moderator, and cause the perception of bias.

But anyway, hopefully the changes will mitigate any such perception.

Jenee

Perhaps - though "perception" is not something that anyone has control over... all we can do, really, is to continue to remind ourselves that unless you see a message in some random color (most of us use red or blue!) then the Mod is posting as a member, and posts should be taken as such.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Duch_Luver_4ever

Personally, I like that the mods weigh in with their opinions, but then again, this forum is right up my alley, viewpointwise :D maybe if I was a C&C fan(ugh), I wouldnt like it as much  :lol:
"No other member of the Royal Family mattered that year, or I think for the next 17 years, it was just her." Arthur Edwards, The Sun Photographer, talking about Diana's impact.