Video: Duke of Cambridge 'Saddened' by Ukraine Plane Disaster

Started by cinrit, July 18, 2014, 11:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rebound

I agree with Adrienne. No matter what words William used, he would be criticized. Remember, he was speaking, I assume, for his royal family, or perhaps the nation.

I won't go thru the list of words individually, but do you really think "unhappy" would be suitable? "Disgusted"--too political for the RF; "crestfallen"--he would be mocked over that for sure.

Sometimes simple words are best. I see nothing wrong with "deeply saddened". And I'm a little shocked that people think he has no feelings.

Also, why does anyone need to bring Harry into it?

TLLK

^^^ :goodpost:

I'd like to take the time to thank our reporters for keeping us informed about this tragedy. :thumbsup:  It's not an easy topic to discuss. We've had William's response which IMO was sincere and appropriate to the Australian people.  The political leaders of the UK and other nations will have the task of dealing with the Russians and Ukrainians on the ongoing recovery and investigation.
Just an FYI...
The Dutch forum has updates on W-A and Maxima's responses with translations. The Dutch royal website also has a video of W-A's statement to the nation (in Dutch). IMHO this is their' "9-11" if you consider the impact upon this small kingdom when nearly 200 of their citizens were murdered last week.

Also there is an active thread on the disaster to discuss the crash, recovery efforts and updates from the Ukraine, Australia, UK, NL, Malaysia etc... and the world's response to this senseless tragedy.

:cry:

Limabeany

The fifth photograph from the bottom is an exquisite and elegant example of a condolence message, for those who were wondering why 'saddened' felt so overused. And, like this, there are as many ways as there are people to express condolence in a manner that expresses such feelings of sympathy in a  uniquely your own. At such a difficult time, this was beautifully expressed.

Quote from: sara8150 on July 23, 2014, 08:14:42 PM
Tears for the MH17 crash victims: Dutch royals and grieving relatives watch as first bodies arrive back in Holland in dignified ceremony that shames
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

Canuck

I agree it's a lovely message.  It also would have been totally inappropriate coming from Will, as opposed to the airport from which the plane took off, in the country from which the vast majority of victims came.  Deepest sympathy (as in that message) or saddened are, IMO, perfectly good ways of expressing how sad this event is without trying to make it all about yourself.

Macrobug

GNU Terry Pratchett

TLLK

Cannuck and Macrobug-I agree with the both of you.

If anyone has had the opportunity to view the arrival ceremony yesterday I'm sure that you found it as moving as I did. The cooperation between the NL and Australia with additional help from other nations was a bright spot in a very sad week since this event.

cate1949

the message from the airport was very well done and yes Will's remarks were a bit cliché but I am sure his remarks were heartfelt.  Will definitely does not strike me as being the touchy feely sort - he seems to be of the stiff upper lip type in public so I would not expect anything more from him.

I thought the Netherlands did a superb job - and I especially admired that there were no speeches - just dignified quiet and mourning.  Well done Netherlands!

Yangkueifa

I'm sure all countries that lost people were very grateful and touched by the condolences expressed by every single world leader and representatives of the various countries, regardless of wording or the person expressing it. I'm sure we all feel deeply saddened by these events.

Jenee

Quote from: Limabeany on July 24, 2014, 10:58:03 AM
The fifth photograph from the bottom is an exquisite and elegant example of a condolence message, for those who were wondering why 'saddened' felt so overused. And, like this, there are as many ways as there are people to express condolence in a manner that expresses such feelings of sympathy in a  uniquely your own. At such a difficult time, this was beautifully expressed.

Quote from: sara8150 on July 23, 2014, 08:14:42 PM
Tears for the MH17 crash victims: Dutch royals and grieving relatives watch as first bodies arrive back in Holland in dignified ceremony that shames

Thanks Lima, that was a very nice example. And it was heartbreaking to look at those photographs, the miles of hearses, the moments if silence at the airport. What a tragedy.
"It does not do to dwell on dreams, and forget to live" -Dumbledore

Limabeany

Yes, that was simply heart wrenching. It really brought the point home of all the lives that were lost, one at a time.
"You don't have to be pretty. You don't owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don't owe it to your mother, you don't owe it to your children, you don't owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked 'female'." Diana Vreeland.

TLLK

I understand that more flights will be met by members of the government as they return to the NL.